Notices

AA for recovery off meth

Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA for recovery off meth

Are AA meetings suitable for meth recovery?
Is there much difference between AA and NA?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in either group but others will be along, I'm sure.
Does your wife have any preference as to which group?

D
Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI Dee
My wife refuses treatment-this is not for her unfortunately (she still doesn't think she has a prob even after rehab)
But an old friend of mine with a history of meth addiction heard about me a Al anon and asked for help-so I was wondering about taking her to Alcoholics Anon when I went to Al anon
Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Based on my experience the only way to know is to take her and find out, The AA and NA methods are the same. The question is will she be welcome at AA. My group is pretty tolerant as long as addicts respect that it is Alcoholics Anonymous and they are there for recovery. They identify as "alcoholic addicts" or just as alcoholic. One member of my group has related that he was once asked to leave an AA meeting in another state because addicts weren't welcome. It will just depend on the group and it probably varies by region. I will also add that different meetings in the same city will probably have different tolerances. Perhaps you could poll a few people in your Al Anon group to get suggestions.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

The steps are the steps. Recovery is recovery.

Honestly, it's where the person feels the most comfortable that matters.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is an AA pamphlet titled "Problems Other Than Alcohol" that deals with that specific topic. Did the person drink alcoholically?

I go to both fellowships and find that there are differences. A lot of it has to do with the area where you are. An AA meeting would be better than no meeting IMHO.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I'm a recovering meth addict (haven't used since 1991) Since I also qualify for AA I always liked the big book better than NA. Just my preference. I also found way more recovery in the AA meetings.

Interesting enough I attend OA meetings now because that was my last DOC. They too prefer the Big Book even over the OA book. LOL

I think the AA meetings are fine. The welcomed me. I didn't talk about doing lines, I only spoke about "going back out" and relapsing so I didn't upset the apple cart. I think it is all the same though, whatever DOC we choose over God.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

An infamous AA speaker once said - drugs are alcohol that you snort..........
The main difference might be at a closed AA meeting which is suppose to be only for alcoholics. Open meetings are of course for anyone.

That said, no one has ever checked my ID. I have heard some of the OT's state that if an addict in a closed AA meeting opens by stating.......my name is Fred an I 'm an addict - they might not like some of the responses.

Best of luck.....plenty of help here and there