Notices

Any potheads out there?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any potheads out there?

Hi...my son who is fourteen, is under the impression that marijuana is not addictive and does not kill brain cells. He thinks people who smoke pot are all laid back, non violent "hippies." He says he does not smoke pot but is eager to try.

He is willing to read or hear any first hand stories but he is pretty certain that no one will reply to my thread because he simply does not believe there is anything wrong with smoking pot.

And he won't listen to me, nor to his Dad.

So as a member of this community I am asking anyone who would like to contribute a few words of experience. I really appreciate it.

Thanks...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi soph - there was actually a very similar thread about this not too long ago and I posted my experience in it...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2884213

D
Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I am literally shaking with anger at the stupidity of his words. "Oh, a forum. Oh sure *that's* reliable, Mom. Strangers on the internet. You told me not to believe everything on the internet, now here you show me some blog on some forum?"

I will just continue to try to be a good parent...not much else I can do. Thanks Dee.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll hunt around in my files and send you a few more things Soph...but yeah be prepared for a contemptuous response....it may sink in eventually tho.

I spent years believing pot was a good drug...in spite of the ever growing evidence it wasnt.

I think the very best thing you can do Soph is present him with all the facts and be a good role model.

D
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went back and forth on deciding to post on this thread... Tough one for me, personally. I know you're being a good parent and are trying to show your son the evils of drug use, so I am taking that into account while attempting to give my honest feelings towards pot use. Probably going to be a long winded post because I am personally torn on the subject.

I used to smoke pot, when I was younger (around your sons age or a bit before). I used pot for about 6-8 years. During that time (and for a long time after), I experimented with other drugs...moving to LSD, all kinds of pills, cocaine, PCP, ecstasy and hashish.

I will say that pot was the "least destructive" and that, in my experience, potheads were the least "violent" crowd to hang out with.

I quit pot a long time ago, finding that it was just "boring" and a waste of time and energy to keep from getting busted. If you get pulled over by the police, it's not like you can hide it very easily. On top of that, it stays in your system far too long, putting you at risk of failing drug tests for a job, the police and...parents! Most other drugs take around 30 days to "clear your system" so they cannot be detected. Pot, however, sticks with you for a good 90+ days.

My wife still smokes pot, but recently switched to the "legal" pot...which is the same thing but is a "designer" version that just hasn't been made illegal everywhere yet. It's the same stuff, basically. She smokes it to be "relaxed", but if she goes a few weeks without it, she feels like she "hasn't smoked a cigarette" or hasn't had a cup of coffee. In other words, her attitude becomes negative and she gets very irritable. So, even though I have never believed pot to be "addictive" or have "negative ramifications", after living with her for 10 years I can honestly say that I am wrong on both counts. I can tell when she hasn't smoked recently...she can be a beast if she hasn't had any weed. Not fun at all.

As far as weed being a "gateway drug", I have never believed that. I think some people just want to "spin out of control", and weed just doesn't quite do that. I don't remember a single pothead friend that didn't do other drugs or end up moving on to other drugs. It's a "need" to be disconnected from reality, but pot is never enough to keep that "distanced from life" feeling.

As far as "killing brain cells"... We kill brain cells on a daily basis. It's a normal biological phenomenon. Here's a link to the top 50 ways you can help kill off your brain cells, however. Unfortunately, smoking pot isn't in the top 50 (which includes standing next to a microwave, shaking your head and drinking too much water lol). Does this mean that pot is harmless? Of course not. Lighting leaves on fire and inhaling the smoke emitted from them doesn't sound like something Jiminy the Cricket would advise you to do...does it? Unfortunately though, and excuse me for making assumptions, it sounds as if your 14 year old is attempting to argue/debate you on the merits of doing an illegal drug.

So, to summarize...

1. Not worth the legal risk
2. Not worth the social stigma pot gives you (others see you as "slow" or mentally "inferior")
3. The high isn't all that... Hungry, paranoid, irritated eyes and "heavy feeling" in chest
4. No one cares if you smoke pot, except for those that do not want you to. There is no "Pot Cheerleaders" waiting for their "Champion Bong Smoker"...*yawn*

5. Respect your Mother.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soph View Post
Hi...my son who is fourteen, is under the impression that marijuana is not addictive and does not kill brain cells. He thinks people who smoke pot are all laid back, non violent "hippies." He says he does not smoke pot but is eager to try.
Yeah. Same thing my son thought. He started smoking pot at age 17 after being a top-notch soccer player for 12 years. He's 22 now and for the past year has had to struggle with finding the right psych meds to treat his severe anxiety and paranoid schizophrenic type symptoms that every psychiatrist we've been to has linked to his smoking pot.

This stuff is REAL. It may be true that back in the 60's and 70's (my teen days) pot just caused people to be lazy, get fat and laugh a lot. It's seriously NOT like that anymore. It's scientifically proven that pot is much more dangerous today.

My son had a psychotic break just about a year ago. We're not sure if he will have to be on psych meds all his life. Sometimes the brain will heal with abstinence from pot. Sometimes permanent damage occurs. Continuing to smoke once psychotic symptoms show up compounds the problem a hundred-fold. It's very difficult to treat as there is no official diagnosis for the problem.....yet.

Smoking changed my son's life. I mean what else would you expect from a kid entering college, living in a house in San Francisco with 6 of his friends? This outcome was definitely NOT what my kid, nor I expected. And just for the record there is no history of mental health disease in the family, neither on my side or his dad's side so he was not necessarily predisposed to a condition like this showing up. We were lucky. I recognized what was going on and got him help immediately.

If my kid were 14 and talking about smoking pot, I would drug test him....regularly.

If you have the Documentary Channel, try to watch or record this:

TheDocumentaryChannel

It airs on Friday, May 6th at 5am (don't know what time zone).
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many, many thanks for that well written and thoughtful post. You are not out of ideas as far as I am concerned. :-) I am going to print it and not say anything..just give it to him to read. Dee thank you too. Very much.

And thank you too glitter. I do have the Documentary channel. it is one of my favorite channels. I will check that out.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to challenge you on a few things OOI.

As far as weed being a "gateway drug", I have never believed that. I think some people just want to "spin out of control", and weed just doesn't quite do that.
I don't remember a single pothead friend that didn't do other drugs or end up moving on to other drugs. It's a "need" to be disconnected from reality, but pot is never enough to keep that "distanced from life" feeling.
Sound like a gateway drug to me OOI.

This is my experience.

I smoked daily for 20 years.

I have several friends who've wasted their intellect, their abilities, and their future on pot.

Some of them also have smoking related diseases like COPD. Several of them also have mental health issues - coincidence? maybe - but I personally doubt it.

least destructive?....I think it's futile to rank destructiveness, but it was plenty destructive enough for them.

D
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is my experience.
Experiences can differ. I had many friends that tried pot last in the chain. I still believe that people try pot to try an "alternate reality". It doesn't live up to it's reputation of being some "blow me away!" drug...so some move on. Others just quit.

Smoking pot itself doesn't make you crave other drugs. No one actually thinks that, since they smoke pot, that they are entitled to try other drugs. They are just seeing how far the rabbit hole goes...and it can start with anything that is mind altering.

As I said, it's my personal belief and experience. I respect yours, too.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not again

I loved to smoke weed, it is/was what they refer to as my drug of choice. Unfortunately that led to a whole host of experiementation, which eventually introduced me to my drug of chaos;crack.

In hindsight I can now clearly see the upsets and turmoil smoking weed has brought into my life. Getting busted a couple of times, refused jobs, poor grades in school and discharged from the military. I have seen too many friends waste thier lives away, becoming nothing more than couch potatoes. What a shame to sit and watch tv for 20yrs, getting stoned and missing out on all the things life has to offer.
Weed may not make you violent, but it certainly has a way of making you not care. Everything gets put off until tomorrow, and then one day you realize tomorrow never comes and it is too late to live the life you dreamed of.

Larry
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by larrylive View Post

I have seen too many friends waste thier lives away, becoming nothing more than couch potatoes. What a shame to sit and watch tv for 20yrs, getting stoned and missing out on all the things life has to offer.

Weed may not make you violent, but it certainly has a way of making you not care. Everything gets put off until tomorrow, and then one day you realize tomorrow never comes and it is too late to live the life you dreamed of.

Larry
I couldnt have put it better myself. Weed was my DOC also, followed closely by alcohol. I started smoking every day at 14 and gave up a mere 5 months ago(im 29 now) - I allowed it to take precious years away from me, and can still feel the damage its done to my brain. Spent years laughing at nothing, and crying about everything.

Like alcohol, many people can use it without problems. But some of us cant, and if I could turn back time, id certainly have waited till I was older before I started experimenting with drugs....the damage I did to my brain as it was developing - im hoping its not permanent.

However, the more my parents hassled me to stop, the more I wanted to smoke.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

Ainslie and Larry:
Ainslie, someone very close to me is right about where you are with his sobriety from pot. Your words could be exactly his. Maybe you ARE him, but he is in the US. He is very scared the pot damaged his brain, having smoked it heavily for 20 years. He is also worried about his lungs. I see him coming out of it though, so I am hopeful.

Larry, the most important thing you said was:

"Weed may not make you violent, but it certainly has a way of making you not care. Everything gets put off until tomorrow, and then one day you realize tomorrow never comes and it is too late to live the life you dreamed of."

The guy very close to me blew off fully paid tuition to a fantastic university, going for 3 years but failing out because he was too stoned to do the work. He regrets it horribly now and has great remorse for what he has lost. He no longer has the money to go back to school and is stuck with only those jobs those without an education can get.

I used to LOVE pot, grew my own, had a great time smoking it. But it was mild, especially home grown, and especially in the 60's and early 70's. The "new pot" is hybrid, grown for potency, and really strong. I took one hit back in 1994 from someone's joint, and was terrified when it left me "loaded" for two days. Geez. And, yes, we used to call them "doobies" in the 60's, and "reefers" back in the 50's and 60's. Not kidding.

I still think it should be legalized, so at least it would be controlled and make it less likely to become a "gateway drug" which it ABSOLUTELY is. When you get into the subculture of illegal substances, do you really think you are only going to find pot there? Come on. (This is not an invitation for debate, PLEASE.)

Soph, I pray you will have success with your son. Unfortunately, teens usually are more influenced by their peer group than their parents. Maybe you could find someone his age he can relate to who can talk about the pitfalls of pot without sounding preachy. Pot has definitely ruined careers and ruined lives, if only by the apathy it instills in its users.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1 hit off a joint got you "loaded" for 2 days? That's not even possible... Sounds like those "Reefer Madness!" videos from the 50's....lol.

Good information beats scary deterrents any day. Yes, smoking pot will hamper your ability to attend school (it wrecks havoc on your short term memory) and will interfere with you getting a good job (drug test alone will do that!). I'm not too sure as to the potency of pot from the 60's vs. today's pot...but I really don't think that matters in this case. He's 14...so I doubt he will be making a decision based upon how potent the drug is today compared to 50 years ago.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by larrylive View Post
I loved to smoke weed, it is/was what they refer to as my drug of choice. Unfortunately that led to a whole host of experiementation, which eventually introduced me to my drug of chaos;crack.

In hindsight I can now clearly see the upsets and turmoil smoking weed has brought into my life. Getting busted a couple of times, refused jobs, poor grades in school and discharged from the military. I have seen too many friends waste thier lives away, becoming nothing more than couch potatoes. What a shame to sit and watch tv for 20yrs, getting stoned and missing out on all the things life has to offer.

Larry
As usual, well put Larry. Informative, relative and just the right amount of disdain for the drug in question without sounding preachy.

You're good at this...maybe you should get a job doing something along these lines?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OutofIdeas75 View Post
I went back and forth on deciding to post on this thread... Tough one for me, personally. I know you're being a good parent and are trying to show your son the evils of drug use, so I am taking that into account while attempting to give my honest feelings towards pot use. Probably going to be a long winded post because I am personally torn on the subject.

I used to smoke pot, when I was younger (around your sons age or a bit before). I used pot for about 6-8 years. During that time (and for a long time after), I experimented with other drugs...moving to LSD, all kinds of pills, cocaine, PCP, ecstasy and hashish.

I will say that pot was the "least destructive" and that, in my experience, potheads were the least "violent" crowd to hang out with.

I quit pot a long time ago, finding that it was just "boring" and a waste of time and energy to keep from getting busted. If you get pulled over by the police, it's not like you can hide it very easily. On top of that, it stays in your system far too long, putting you at risk of failing drug tests for a job, the police and...parents! Most other drugs take around 30 days to "clear your system" so they cannot be detected. Pot, however, sticks with you for a good 90+ days.

My wife still smokes pot, but recently switched to the "legal" pot...which is the same thing but is a "designer" version that just hasn't been made illegal everywhere yet. It's the same stuff, basically. She smokes it to be "relaxed", but if she goes a few weeks without it, she feels like she "hasn't smoked a cigarette" or hasn't had a cup of coffee. In other words, her attitude becomes negative and she gets very irritable. So, even though I have never believed pot to be "addictive" or have "negative ramifications", after living with her for 10 years I can honestly say that I am wrong on both counts. I can tell when she hasn't smoked recently...she can be a beast if she hasn't had any weed. Not fun at all.

As far as weed being a "gateway drug", I have never believed that. I think some people just want to "spin out of control", and weed just doesn't quite do that. I don't remember a single pothead friend that didn't do other drugs or end up moving on to other drugs. It's a "need" to be disconnected from reality, but pot is never enough to keep that "distanced from life" feeling.

As far as "killing brain cells"... We kill brain cells on a daily basis. It's a normal biological phenomenon. Here's a link to the top 50 ways you can help kill off your brain cells, however. Unfortunately, smoking pot isn't in the top 50 (which includes standing next to a microwave, shaking your head and drinking too much water lol). Does this mean that pot is harmless? Of course not. Lighting leaves on fire and inhaling the smoke emitted from them doesn't sound like something Jiminy the Cricket would advise you to do...does it? Unfortunately though, and excuse me for making assumptions, it sounds as if your 14 year old is attempting to argue/debate you on the merits of doing an illegal drug.

So, to summarize...

1. Not worth the legal risk
2. Not worth the social stigma pot gives you (others see you as "slow" or mentally "inferior")
3. The high isn't all that... Hungry, paranoid, irritated eyes and "heavy feeling" in chest
4. No one cares if you smoke pot, except for those that do not want you to. There is no "Pot Cheerleaders" waiting for their "Champion Bong Smoker"...*yawn*

5. Respect your Mother.
This is how I feel as well to be honest. I know it's not the same for everyone. However out of all the drugs including alcohol, I feel pot is wayyyy down on the list. I would rather it be legal than alcohol.

I had a meth problem at one time, I have had friends die from heroine, some still struglle, one has aids...I've seen the destruction of alcohol too...IMHO pot is not near as destructive as the rest.

Gateway? sure I guess that depends on your perspective tho...cigarettes, and no-doze were my "gateways"....

Just my opinion.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
This is how I feel as well to be honest. I know it's not the same for everyone. However out of all the drugs including alcohol, I feel pot is wayyyy down on the list. I would rather it be legal than alcohol.

I had a meth problem at one time, I have had friends die from heroine, some still struglle, one has aids...I've seen the destruction of alcohol too...IMHO pot is not near as destructive as the rest.

Gateway? sure I guess that depends on your perspective tho...cigarettes, and no-doze were my "gateways"....

Just my opinion.
Right? Cigs were the beginning for me, too...and NO-DOZE LOL! I remember taking so many of those things during school that I couldn't stop my feet from tapping on the floor. At that point, anything that would relieve my "boredom" was fair game.

Find your son a hobby...one that consumes ALL of his time and is NOT possible to do if he smokes weed. One that maybe drug tests to ensure the "players" aren't taking steroids...which would bust him for pot, too.

He is either bored out of his mind or has friends who are smoking pot. Being 14 years old, you unfortunately have very limited "control" over what he is going to decide. I'm not saying you are powerless, by any means. What I am saying is...teenagers will find a way to get their way. Just like when they are 5 year old's and you tell them to NOT touch the stove... They eventually burn their hand touching it! They have to find out for themselves.

However, armed with a crap load of information and documented experience, maybe you can give him some insight into the end results...and he is smart enough to avoid this pitfall.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Right? Cigs were the beginning for me, too...and NO-DOZE LOL! I remember taking so many of those things during school that I couldn't stop my feet from tapping on the floor. At that point, anything that would relieve my "boredom" was fair game.

Find your son a hobby...one that consumes ALL of his time and is NOT possible to do if he smokes weed. One that maybe drug tests to ensure the "players" aren't taking steroids...which would bust him for pot, too.

He is either bored out of his mind or has friends who are smoking pot. Being 14 years old, you unfortunately have very limited "control" over what he is going to decide. I'm not saying you are powerless, by any means. What I am saying is...teenagers will find a way to get their way. Just like when they are 5 year old's and you tell them to NOT touch the stove... They eventually burn their hand touching it! They have to find out for themselves.

However, armed with a crap load of information and documented experience, maybe you can give him some insight into the end results...and he is smart enough to avoid this pitfall.
I think you're mixing me up with someone else but I do have a son who just turned 17 and I know he's expiremented with pot and alcohol. We've had talks about all the drugs and what would happen...I've been honest about my problems with meth (was a lonnng time ago) and his step-dads problems with heroine.(also a long time ago) And of course since I'm newly sober, he knows alllllll about alcohol. We just had a talk the other night, I explained to him that I can't "just drink one"...he can't seem to wrap his head around that and thinks I am weak-willed lol...but a lot of people think that way...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
I think you're mixing me up with someone else but I do have a son who just turned 17 and I know he's expiremented with pot and alcohol. We've had talks about all the drugs and what would happen...I've been honest about my problems with meth (was a lonnng time ago) and his step-dads problems with heroine.(also a long time ago) And of course since I'm newly sober, he knows alllllll about alcohol. We just had a talk the other night, I explained to him that I can't "just drink one"...he can't seem to wrap his head around that and thinks I am weak-willed lol...but a lot of people think that way...
Sorry, the portion where I was speaking of a "son" was directed towards the OP's plight.

You're not "weak-willed"... I cannot take 1 dose of meth...biologically. I'm allergic to ephedrine and will die from ingesting it. I relate that to people that have an issue with alcohol. You have "grown allergic" to it...you cannot take just 1 drink...or the addiction takes over. 1 becomes 2 becomes 12 becomes a trip to jail lol. It's like those potato chips...you can't eat just one!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry, the portion where I was speaking of a "son" was directed towards the OP's plight.

You're not "weak-willed"... I cannot take 1 dose of meth...biologically. I'm allergic to ephedrine and will die from ingesting it. I relate that to people that have an issue with alcohol. You have "grown allergic" to it...you cannot take just 1 drink...or the addiction takes over. 1 becomes 2 becomes 12 becomes a trip to jail lol. It's like those potato chips...you can't eat just one!
I like the potato chip one...I'll have to tell my son that...=)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

One only need take a toot or two, and their 'mind set' is changed. Dependency can start here, ranked with Heroin in that respect, and can lead to near complete delusion in certain situations.

How life can pass by without one addressing oppertunities escapes words that i can put.

My exp' is 2nd hand but from a very good source, of as long as i have abused Alcohol - 25yrs, possibly longer.

On a lighter note... the person i know has recently tried to quit, and is doing well...
...but faulters...

...admitting they never saw a fault with it for too long.

How dangerous is that after reading other posts?

Great thread for those coming our way as it were.

gl Soph :-)