Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Not sure why this is happening or what to do....

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I experimented with cocaine when I was 20 and never touched it for over 5 years. Then all of a sudden I was having a bad day and started to do a little bit. Now I have been doing it every day for 3 weeks, but I am still "functioning". I go to work every day, I have my brother whom I am taking care of, I make sure things get done etc. I can be sober at home, but when I go to work I have to get high. I don't understand what is wrong with me. I know I need to stop and I know it's a waste of money, but for some reason I start to panic when I am at work and I am sober. I am very disgusted with myself, but at the same time I am trying to function. I have been on many different anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications for years, and I still had a problem staying at work for my whole shift. Then I start getting high and all of a sudden I am able to keep myself at work.

This is a really messed up situation and I am lost. A month ago if you brought cocaine near me I would flip out on you and call you a loser....now I am the one who is doing it. No one knows. Not one person can tell. I need help and this is my first step. I am afraid to tell anyone close to me, I refuse to take a sick leave from work because I need the money, but I can also see this is not heading in a good direction. I was very suicidal and depressed around the time I started using, and it made me "up" enough to keep on truckin'.

I don't want to tell anyone because I am afraid of what will happen. I am a very smart person and have pulled myself out of situations before, but it's the panic of being at my job and not being able to get high to make me happy enough to stay there.

So messed up.......I am very disappointed in myself.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Coke is so gross. Blech. It's like crappy work. Hard work. You'll quit when you get sick enough. Good luck with it.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Scared)) welcome to SR!!

I think you realize you're heading down a bad path and it's going to get worse. You may be "functioning" now, but there's a very good likelihood it's going to get worse.

Another thing to think about is how you say you won't take time off sick from work because you need the money, yet your "wasting money" on coke. Be aware, too, that with repeated use, cocaine often causes paranoia and MORE anxiety.

I'm a recovering crack addict, and there IS life after cocaine. I hope you keep reading and posting.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Peaceful

Just STOP...