Notices

seroquel anyone?????

Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seroquel anyone?????

I have been prescribed the drug seroquel because i havent' been able to sleep hardly at all. i take 2, 25 mg at bedtime. they definitely help me sleep all night, but now i am scared that i will get hooked to them too!!!!!!

I definitely do not want that to happen, i just got my 90 days after a 5 year adderall, pain, and benzo ride! So i guess my question is this?

Does anyone else take this drug for sleep at night or only for bipolarism? Also the doctor said it wasn't addictive, but my addictive mind looks forward to taking them at bedtime. sorry just being honest!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Threegirls))) - I was prescribed seroquel after a traumatic robbery at work (my 2nd) and I was diagnosed with PTSD. I literally could NOT sleep and none of the sleeping meds worked. On a sidenote, my dr. is VERY well aware of my addiction. I've also had sleep issues in the past, and go into a deep depression if I don't get enough sleep, sothough people say "lack of sleep won't kill you", it definitely affects my life in a very negative and unhealth matter. Only you and your dr. can deside if it's waht is best for you.

From what I've read, on the research Ive done, I haven't seen the word "addictive" but I have seen that if you go off of them, you will have a period of time where you will have a hard time sleeping while your body readjusts to being without them.

I think part of your issue may be that you were addicted to pills, and a lot of pill addicts look forward to taking ANY kind of pill, even those that don't "do anything" for you...not saying that IS what's going on with you, but i just know several addicts who are like that.

If you are concerned about this, the best thing to do is talk to your dr. about it. They definitely help me with my sleep, and I've never taken more than my prescribed dose. On occasion, when I'm really tired, I simply don't take them, but i admit, those times are rare.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not again

Threegirls,

Well first and foremost Seroquel is not my thing. I took it twice, only to help facilitate sleep while I was smoking alot of crack. I did not like it and would avoid doing it again.
But the person that gave it to me at the time was takeing 100mg/day, his prescription is now for 300mg. So if neccessity and tolerance equal addiction I would say yes they are addictive. Please be careful.
I can only assume you have tried other natural/holistic methods. Warm baths, exercise, reading, regularity in bed time. I have also heard soothing nioses-ocean and wildlife tapes can be of help. Even tuning the AM dail off-station to static at a very low volume.
Perhaps your partner could help with a message, but that might keep you both up later.
I wish you well
Regards,
Larry
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

extremely shaky, groggy, and kind of out of it this morning. went for a walk/jog at 5:30 a.m. and still a bit woozy! I also woke after being asleep only for about 1 1/2 hrs. and I went and took the 2nd one and boy I guess I am still feeling the effects?
Tonight wil def. try warm bath and reading!
thanks for your posts
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been prescribed seroquel throughout my time taking oxycontin for sleep. Its about the only thing that works for me but it does leave ya feeling hung over the next day. Start of day #13 and I've been taking 1/4 pill of seroquel for the last two nights and a klonapin. I'm really hesitent about the same thing but after 10 days of sleeping sporadically, I needed something at this point. As for stopping seroquel while taking oxy, I never had any difficulty so hoping the same will be true now.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried it and found that it only worked temporarily, at best. I experimented with all sorts of dosages and timing, and finally gave up. It was very expensive and had lots of side effects. Last evening's news was filled with stories about a big lawsuit against the manufacturer...concerning "off-label" uses. I'm not sure if prescribing it as a sleep aid for addicts is considered off-label.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my addict has been taking seroquel for about a year now. it def. helps him sleep, he can't stand the thought of not taking it and not being able to sleep. but is also hard to shake out the cobwebs the next morning.

seroquel is a bit controversial. there is a link to diabetes, and possible neuological damage, but i think the jury's still out on that.

the dosages on it are all over the map. my mother was taking 300 mgs per day and she thinks it's a wonder drug. my xabf only takes 25 and it works for him.

MahiMahi wrote a post on this and offered an alternative that she takes that works well. uses natural sleep aids. maybe look up her post and give it a try?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not again

PS My seroquel ladened buddy informs me that there are health risks associated with it, primarily with the liver, just thought you should know.

Larrylive
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been taking 300mg at night since getting so sober 6 months ago. It works great for sleep but I hate the weight gain that I have had. 35lbs almost immeaditly...
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take 300 mgs of Seroquel because when I went to detox I got bad insomnia and didn't sleep for 4 days. Imho I think it's a pretty good medication for that plus it helps my panic attacks.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take seroquel at first 25 mg helped me sleep but now I take 175 mg at night and it takes a while to fall asleep when 25 mg would knock me out. I don't knkow if i'm growing tolerant to it or what. I was taking more seroquel at one time most I ever took was 425 mg now I take 275 so ya it's not like I'm going up so maybe it isn't a problem. I don't know. It really helps me though has helped me calm down. Though sometimes I want more of it , I like the feeling it gives me, but I don't get that same feeling now as I did before.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used it the same as Larry. Knocked my %$#@ in the dirt. The way I see it drugs like that and addicts just dont mix...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been taking it for about 4 years and take between 50-100mg per night. I think its great, it does help sleep for me although not always consisitently, definitely helps with anxiety. I do look forward to taking it too as its a nice feeling when it kicks in but my doctor assured me its not addictive which is why its prescribed to people for sleep disorders and I'm also a recovering benzo addict.

M
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i was just put on a low dose for anxiety problems. 50 or 100mg i think?? But i don't find it to be addictive. It provides a bit of 'knock the edge off' feeling that is not necessarily 'pleasant', as one might find a benzo, but is enough to not be on the edge of your seat. I don't think it is a problem for addicts to be on seroquel. Never had a problem with it. Does help to relax and prepare the mind for sleep.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Believe it or not, I take 600mg a nite.. I have taken that dose for years, and I dont really fall asleep on it,I take trazadone as well,150 mg and that makes me fall asleep and the seroquel makes me stay asleep. I think my body is becoming used to this dose as well, but Im not gonna ask to go up anymore than that. Thats plenty.. while in withdrawals, even THAT never let me sleep. Thats the truth. Hard to believe Im sure, since its so high an amount, but it never worked when in w/d. Also, when I run out of seroquel cuz i dont have the money to fill them (they are the mid tier on our copay and expensive) i go thru wicked w/ds from them.. they are addictive and a bad kind of w/d on their own.. just thought I would share my experience with seroquel......
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
I tried it and found that it only worked temporarily, at best. I experimented with all sorts of dosages and timing, and finally gave up. It was very expensive and had lots of side effects. Last evening's news was filled with stories about a big lawsuit against the manufacturer...concerning "off-label" uses. I'm not sure if prescribing it as a sleep aid for addicts is considered off-label.
That sounds just like me, it worked great for a week or so and that was it. I now take GABA, an amino acid. One at bedtime and I am off to sleep. It is the natural valium so to speek working on similar receptors in the brain.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MahiMahi View Post
I now take GABA, an amino acid. One at bedtime and I am off to sleep.
Really? Is it prescription or can you buy it at health food shops...?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

does it really work? that sounds great if it really works!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
Really? Is it prescription or can you buy it at health food shops...?
GABA can be found at health food shops or at online bulk nutritional supplement sites. (powdered or capsuled forms). I take the dose that is on the side of the jar (powder) before bedtime every night, as well as 5-htp (natural anti-depressant) and a B-6. The GABA seems to calm my brain down a bit and provides for a considerably more relaxed sleep with more re-callable dreams. I am not vouching as to the safety as to these meds for you, (tho none of these three could be considered even mildly addictive), and YMMV, etc etc. GABA is very similar to several other neurotropic chemicals, google it if you're interested.