Notices

New - Percocet Addiction

Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Everyones detox can be different. Some might use heavily and not have as hard of a withdrawel as someone who didnt use as much or vice versa. You just have to be open to it and accept that its going to happen. If we try and put a date and time on when we will be done if that date and time passes and we still feel icky we will feel as though we are failing or something is wrong with us. I personally am 44 days clean off heroin and I still have some withdrawel symptons. I want to scream when I hear that someone who did it for 3 times as long as I did was done after 14 days but I have to take a deep breath and realize I am not that person and everyone is different and im sure there are people out there who are having a harder or longer withdrawel than I am. I am just thankful to be clean and sober and feeling again. I literally had to embrace the w/d I knew that I would take it all in and NEVER FORGET what it felt like. I dont ever want to go back to that! Good Luck and best wishes.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the advise. I'll keep things posted. I'm new to this and hope it will be an added help being that I have nobody I can talk to about this because I don't dare to disappoint my family and friends that I see every day. Nobody has a clue and I'm sick of living this lie that bring no true happiness to my life. Hope that is enough of a reason. I better chose one way or the other and I like the life before this one. Like I said earlier. I never was a heavy opiate user. Guess I better get use to not sleeping for a few weeks. That's enough to keep me using the dumb stuff. How do I overcome the sleeplessness and anxiety?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Two weeks for me today! It hasn't been easy, but every day that goes by just strengthens my resolve. I have my moments where my mind wanders, but I just remind myself that's not who I want to be. I make myself think of the ugly things I did and how I behaved when using, and it helps keep me from straying.

Needinhelp, I can't overstate how important having a support system is. When I first sought help, I spoke to my wife (who had no idea how bad the problem was), and two of my best friends. My two friends call me every morning and every afternoon, and I make sure to get any feelings about detox off my chest. I'm very honest with my wife and friends, telling them when I think about using.

My doctor prescribed Ambien and Clonidine for me. The Ambien knocks me out at night so I can fall asleep, and the Clonidine removes the anxiety while I'm awake. I still wake up every night around 4-5am and have trouble falling back asleep, but at least I'm getting about 6 hours of sleep per night, which I can live with. I'm not sure how the experts around here feel about sleep aids, so they can chime in about that.

Best of luck with everything, keep us updated.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

well done dave - u r doing so well!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Sleep deprivation, while very frustrating, isn't fatal. I know the anger and frustration of sleepless nights. At some point, I gave up fighting it and allowing anger to get the best of me and spent much of my night on this board.
For me, it began to normalize within a few weeks, in that I was able to get some consistent sleep. Took longer for a full 6-8 hours.
Dave, in confiding in your doctor, you took the best possible step.
Best wishes to you both.
Bear
Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am also new to this forum, me and my husband are on day 6th of recovery from taking lorcet 10s , 10 times a day each. Your post gives me strength. Thank you for sharing your experience. We are taking alot of vitamins and I heard b12 gives you energy. I am happy to be on this forum its really motivating me when I get down. Thank you again. Keep it up!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Three weeks as of today! Feeling much better, and far more comfortable inside my own skin. I've had a couple of moments over the past week, but nothing is worth relapsing. I made myself think of the bad moments while using, how I obsessed over calculating how many days I had vs how many pills, and all other sorts of ugly crap that I did.

I'm NOT that person, and slowly but surely I'm getting back to who I was. Those of you struggling, hang in there, and it will get better. Relapsing just hits the reset button, and I personally would rather not go through this again. Remember, at some point in our lives, all of us were substance free. We can be that way again.

Edit: The one thing that is irritating is that I keep waking up at 4am (typically go to sleep at 10:30 or so), and pretty much roll around until I normally get up at 5:50. I'm hoping that over time it gets better.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Four weeks down!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi I am new

I have been on percocet for 11 years. I am still on it but recently I realized that I really have a problem with it. I suppose this is kinda the first step for me. I am so scared to come off them. I honestly don't remember what it feels like to be sober anymore. I find myself at the end of every month running out of pills early because I am such a glutton that I take them all like in the first week. I feel like I am wasting my life away.