Notices

2 Weeks clean from pills, need advice

Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 2 Weeks clean from pills, need advice

I had been reading this website a lot and it does help and i hope to get better and better as the days and weeks and months goes by. I understand the whole PAWS thing because I am feeling the affects. But basically i told myself I would start writing blog after blog and really participate. So i have been resting basically for the last 2 weeks, meaning no exercise or anything, but I have been watching a bunch of movies. I am going to go to the gym tomorrow as that has been a lot of advice i had been getting. But it is two weeks and I am just so dam sluggish, like super super lazy, and the thing is i have played soccer my whole life and always been a great track runner. But the last time I ran, has def been over two months. Well anyways, any suggestions on what i shud expect on myjourney back to re-learning the whole process of being me. A few days ago functionally i was a mess, but it is getting better. I just would do roxy's non-stop all day but i wud always be doing sumthing and out and about and always clean. Now i am so lazy not to take out the trash and everything. Bascially I just need help on this hump or phase of soberness from pills, and am 21 yrs. home on spring break with sum time and i have been to one NA meeting and will continue to go.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I forced myself out of the house when I detoxed myself. I think I was day 3 from opiates and took a walmart trip. I was hanging onto that buggy for dear life I was so weak but that was the ticket for me ... making myself move. I got over the whole physical thing much quicker and felt better. Now the Paws part is a bit longer and ongoing. It comes and goes and seems to hit around anniversaries of clean time. I think I was feeling it at 6 and 12 months. Addiction is quite a bit of head games. I can justify anything I think so I have to really work to keep this all honest and real. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

aggreee

i totally agree, ima jus force myself to move about and always be going place to place. I just don't have the motivation, as everyone can understand. Yeah the head games suck, i found myself honestly being much more emotional, such as crying a whole lot. It's gettin better, but i will try. More advice and help is much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello MyJourney,

Having just detoxed from suboxone a month ago I feel you on this one. I still, to this day, have this sluggishness. Due to the slow manner in which our bodies come back to life after our addictions, I think this problem will probably work itself out little by little. Mine is getting a little better with time, but sometimes its really hard to be patient and I find myself thinking that I am quite sure that I should be past this by now. Seeing how I am not past it I kind of guage it with my experience of being sober this last month. When I first quit I felt like crap... 30 days later I feel great. The sluggishness has got to be better in 30 more days. This thing is a patience builder thats for sure. I am doing the only things I know to do about this. I have started walking a few blocks everyday even though it isnt very fun and making sure I keep up my daily chores. I have literally had to make myself do it because I have no energy at all. Also since my mind is sharpening again after so long I have started taking up my guitar again and spending a lot of time doing and reading things that interest me mentally online. I find that my mental energy and drive is soooo much more present than the physical. I hope this will pass for both of us. I can be pretty confident that it will.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Myjourney,

I know where you are comming from, I can feel your pain. I have 8 weeks clean and sober today after many many years of abuse. I was a serious drinker and the last couple of years I put the pills in the equation, percs, xanax, vicoden, ambien etc. I look back on it and feel very lucky to still be alive. I made it out to run this weekend but that was it, the rest of the time I spent either sleeping or watching TV. I have no energy what so ever and feel like doing nothing at all. You will get to feeling better "as I have been told" it just does not happen overnight. Check with your Dr. and tell him about everything. Congrats on your decision clean up, hang in there and good things will come your way.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Since you were doing roxy's all day non-stop for however many years, your body is going to take some time to heal. Most of us don't get to that addicted stage for our DOC right out of the starting gate. So by getting off the opiates you aren't going to feel great once you've detoxed off of it. Your energy level will start improving more rapidly now that you have two weeks clean. The problem with getting clean. I have found my mind beats me to the finish line way before my body does. I start feeling mentally perkier, but I have no energy to fulfill my desire to get up and get going. So I start by pulling stacks of paperwork, bills, overflowing drawers of stuff and anything else I've neglected up to a chair and start going thru the stuff. I get a lot accomplished by doing this. This is one less chore you'll have to do once you get your energy back. I also spend time on my stationary bicycle to help me get my muscles back into shape and to also help build up my energy level.

It just takes time. It's your mind that has become active again. So put your mind to work and don't worry about the energy level right now. After being clean for three weeks, I started taking 1/2 of a caffeine tablet to help me get moving. But I didn't push the use of this. I have 22 animals to care for here at home and needed the push to help me get the job done. But I didn't want to over do the caffeine rush and not have the energy to follow thru. I didn't drink coffee for the caffeine rush, because I didn't want to have to make the bathroom trips.

I wish you well and hope you stick with it. I'll have 60 days clean this coming Saturday off Hydro #10's.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey thanks a lot for the advice...i found myself so super sluggish, but the thing to do is keep pushing it through. I feel as if i am re-learning everything again, but thats for that reply tho, it is much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

What I did and still do sometimes is push myself to get 1 thing done. I have to talk myself into getting a load of laundry done sometimes but I feel so good once I accomplished that load of laundry. Then I'll come up with one more thing I want to get done. If I get that done I feel even better. For me its less overwhelming than thinking of all the things I have to get done. I just choose one thing at a time and that helped a lot.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hello MyJourney:

How are you doing today? Do you feel like your energy is coming back any?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

slowly coming back, im goin back to skool for my last semester so i'm going to try and put myself on a good structure schedule to force myself to use more energy. This week was a free week and since the weather has been beautiful, i have been goin out more. Do you have any other advice on how to keep going besides takin it one day at a time, because as a person i usually plan ahead you know. I was gunna keep using until skool ended, but i decided to stop a couple of weeks ago because of the timing, so i will be back at skool at around 3 weeks clean from drugs.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lot of people here use a programme like NA - have you thought about that?
Face to face support is hard to beat, MJ.

D
Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

EX-Oxy abuser here.... My last pill was 1/4/10

3 weeks is AWESOME!!! Keep that positive attitude going!! The energy will come back! It will be day by day, (not going to sugar coat it) Set goals and follow through! Sounds like your in a marathon that you are going to win!! Keep reminding yourself that this will all be worth it... because IT WILL!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, i went to one when i was like 6 days clean, but this week i wanna go to like 2 of them, those meetings are good and did help me cause i looked around and heard all these stories and well you know i guess how meetings go. I got a question tho for FriendofMisery, first off thats great that u havent used since like January, and i know everyone is different and such, but wen did u really feel yourself gettin better?? I know its one of those stupid questions that doesnt have a definite answer, but i def noticed a big difference from 2 weeks to 3 weeks, but i am still a bit lazy wit doing things such as cleaning. IDK i guess im just lookin for answers n ****, k thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

MJ: Each person is different on that "ENERGY RECOVERY LEVEL". You as myself are doing this CT. You say you are 21 at the top of this page. I am 50. A month into my clean time is when I actually started feeling like I could get out to go shopping w/o feeling like I would pass out on the bench from being too tired. I have 61 days clean today and I still don't have that energy level completely back.

The opiates we were taking, if I'm correct in this statement, are a form of herion. So not only have we given up our drug, but we've also given up our source of energy too. So this is why it takes such a length of time to get back on our feet. We have also put our bodies thru a long time of usuage and then all of a sudden stepped off the train and walked right smack into a brick wall.

Like I said before. Your mind is clear now and rearing to go. But your body hasn't caught up to your mind just yet. Are you by chance taking a vitamin every day? This will help give your body a boost. The opiates take away a lot of good stuff from us.

You are young MJ: And going to meetings will also give you a boost of confidence and good feelings. You've already got three weeks clean. You are very close to bouncing back from all this abuse you've put yourself thru.

You are in that tough spot right now. Mentally running on all cylinders, but the donkey is still sitting on it's haunches.

BTW: If you have a picture of yourself right before you went off the meds. Hang onto it. Go back and take a look at yourself and look at the difference between then and now on how much better you look. I have mine and it does make a difference. On my first rehab back in 1990. The clinic took my picture when I first came in. Thirty days later when I got ready to leave, I looked so different. I had someone tell me I came in, in a cocoon and was leaving as a Butterfly. I really pray this is the last time I have to go off the opiates again. Having way too many injuries and surgries is how I always end up back on them.

I hope this post answers your question.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I've read about PAWS on the internetzweb but I've never met a real person who has had PAWS.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I've seen this PAWS several times. Could someone please tell me what it stands for?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stepping it Up posted this once. This is a pretty good wrap up of PAWs

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

D
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm 90 days clean and have been struggling with PAWS... I think. One of the most annoying things about PAWS is it's hard to tell whether the symptoms are actually related to PAWS or just being a "loser"-- unmotivated, unable to think, trouble sleeping, etc. I'm pretty sure I suffer from it but I don't like using it as an excuse.

A couple things that seem to have really helped me

1. 5HTP - this is an OTC supplement. Take only the standard dose, no more, as too much will cause anxiety. After a couple days I felt much more motivated and was able to feel satisfied about my actions and accomplishments. It also fixed my sleeping problems.

2. Vitamin B - this does wonders for your energy level

3. Vitamin D - especially in the winter time-- it's a mild anti-depressant and alleviates lack of sunshine.

4. Vitamin E - if you're like me, years of addiction have taken a toll on your skin. This will help with that.

Again, don't take too much, and don't expect it to have an immediate result like narcotics do. Take a steady daily dose immediately after breakfast, and don't expect any results for 2-3 days.