SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   How Long before the DTs stop (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/194570-how-long-before-dts-stop.html)

Delivered 02-12-2010 12:44 PM

How Long before the DTs stop

Well, I've been on the oxy for 3 to 4 years now for my back and I was taking 240 MG daily for 6 or 8 months. Naturally it stopped working and they wanted me to go to Morphine. I realized I had chosen a dope dealer for a pain consultant doctor.
So without telling him I began to cut back little at a time. Who needs a dope dealer to get you off the drugs he put you on. It took a year or so to get down to 45 a day and being sick of fooling with it i thought I could go the rest of the way CT.
Cutting back is a real chore, you have to cut back and fight a while then take a week or two off and hold what you got. Then start working your way down some more. I had more chopped up oxy pills that the pharmacy. Had I been a dealer, from what I've heard I could have gotten rich off those things.
I started last Sun. night at 4 when when I took my last dose.
I thought I,d suffer 3 days or so and that would be the end of it.
5 days later, I think I might be a little better, but hot baths two or three times a night to get maybe an hour sleep has come down to 1 last night, but my wife said open your mouth, and she through a couple of the nastiest pill I ever tasted and said here, now drink some water. I slept the rest of the night. Soma.
I had been using Xanax and ambien. Im now tappering off the Xanax, the ambien wasn't doing much anyway.
But this has wasted a lot of time suffering and I don't have any energy. DTs still comes in waves but seem to be fewer and less severe.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have just kept tapering off till I was done.
In fact I almost did the second day.

At this point of my detox, any ideas would be appreciated. I'm on day 5 now,
when will this be over?

least 02-12-2010 12:49 PM

How Long before the DTs stop

At this point of my detox, any ideas would be appreciated. I'm on day 5 now,
when will this be over?

Best to ask a professional, as we can't give medical advice here and each situation is different for each person.

Who needs a dope dealer to get you off the drugs he put you on
See a different doctor, please, if you don't trust yours. But do get medical help.

Dee74 02-12-2010 01:04 PM

Hi Delivered

Welcome

I'm not an expert but I do think addicts who're self medicating to get off another drug are most times making a rod for their back...

Normally I'd suggest competent medical supervision, but given your feelings about yr doctor you already have I guess thats not going to happen.

We can't make medication recommendations or anything like that here, but I hope you find some experience here that helps you.

D

Zak 02-12-2010 09:23 PM

After 10 days the hard detox will end but the post acute time is 18 months,you better not try stoping the benzos to fast,better yet get to rehab you need a doctor.
I'm glad your here.

bval 02-12-2010 11:19 PM

Welcome to the boards. Congrats on tapering from 240mg down to 45mg, and then quitting and making it to day 5! That's awesome, awesome stuff, NOT easy to do, and I, for one, am really impressed by what you just accomplished :)

My best advice? Get to some meetings of recovering addicts. NA or AA, whichever is handy, are both good choices. Although the drug is different, addiction is the same. You can learn a lot from people in both places. And LOTS of people at AA had drug problems too, trust me. Just because you were getting them from a doctor doesn't mean that you're in a different boat than the rest of us addicts. Your body and brain don't care where the dope came from, the recovery process is the same.

AFA the w/d's goes, I'd say by 7 days you should be feeling significantly better about 80% of the time. There's certain symptoms that 'hang around' like the insomnia and 'the runs', and the fatigue ... but for the most part its about a week off of oxys before you really get over a 'hump' and start to feel significantly better. Like I said, it won't be 'every second of the day', but ... most of the time. It probably take about 3-4 weeks total before you'll really be able to say you feel like you did before you ever started taking them.

IOW, keep up the good work, I promise you you're almost at the point of feeling MUCH better. There will be a moment here coming up very soon where it's gonna be like the most beautiful sunrise you've ever seen, and you'll breath a huge sigh of relief and be like 'Wow ... I finally feel ... okay! Hooray!' ... It does happen pretty suddenly and noticeably, too, so that's pretty cool.

Delivered 02-15-2010 06:14 AM

Thanks for the info. The time is my main question, more so than med advice.
I'm on day 8 and shaking and eyes still runny and puffed up. In no condition to work yet.
It looks like I,m getting close though.
Unfortunately I'm not that great on cutting back as I had begun using xanax to relieve WD symptoms and that I became tooo fond of.

Dee74 02-15-2010 01:24 PM

From what I've read in this forum, getting off a benzo habit is not easy and not a fun experience, delivered.

I really suggest you stop and take a long look at your strategy now - ultimately, maybe you need to see a different doctor?

D