Notices

My patience is being tested

Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My patience is being tested

I haaaaaaaate pain. I hate pain. My ear is killing me. My wisdom tooth is infected and it spread the infection to my ear and throat. the doctor cannot pull it before the infection is gone. Th doctor says that because there's no space for my wisdom tooth , I was chewing my inner cheek and it got infected too. He offered to give me codeine and I said no. I feel like my ear drums are about to explode and like water in my ears. I am in so much pain. I know I cannot control pain killers. Tried it before and didnot work so there's no reason why it should work now.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Jane)))). I am sorry you are in so much pain. I agree with Anvilhead. Try some ibuprophens and maybe put something warm on the side of your head. Hang in there, make sure you take those anti-biotics and get that thing's butt kicked!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just because we are addicts does not doom us to enduring pain. There are non-narcotic painkillers that *may* work. Even if an opiate is required, it doesn't mean we have to lose all we've gained. Being honest (completely) with our doctors, by voicing our concerns, can make all the difference.

There are guidelines available for treating addicts in pain. It may mean small scripts, weaning off whatever is given, etc.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-11-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: removed brand name
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are guidelines available for treating addicts in pain. It may mean small scripts, weaning off whatever is given, etc.
Definately NO. MY DOC is pills. I used to take between 20-30 pills I day. I cannot control it. If use again, I'll go back to my DOC. I've tested this theory many times and ended up relapsing. I'm not planning to test it again. It's like unleashing a monster in me. Even if I give the pills to someone, I know I'll end up buying a whole bottle. Pills for me are just like an alcoholic drinking some whiskey to ease his pain. I know myself .I wont die from pain but I will die from using and worse destroy all what I have worked hard for. No, I wont risk all that just for a tooth ache. I have to learn patience and endurance and that God wont give me more than I can handle. I know that if I get through this, I will be even stronger. Anything that doesnot kill you only makes you stronger. I am going to pass through harder pain later in life, cause that's life. So if I cave in now than I will never learn how to face life.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've found ibuprofen and being warmly tucked up in bed wherever possible usually makes things bearable (or less unbearable) for me

D
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find Aleave and heat/ice works well good luck
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're an inspiration jane!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Jane, I struggled with chronic infections in a molar for four months. I kept putting off having something done with it because the tooth was in a bridge, and a root canal was costly. My dental insurance didn't kick in until September, so I did round after round of antibiotics (and I HATE antibiotics -- I've had a cold for three weeks, and I swear, the antibiotics have contributed by weakening my immune system). Each time, it took a little longer for the antibiotics to kick in, but at the longest, I had relief from them in four days. I can't take NSAIDs (asprin, ibuprophen to help get the swelling down), so I got by with Tylenol. It was tough, especially because I put it off, but if you have the work done promptly once the infection is gone, you won't have to go through it again.

Be faithful to the antibiotic schedule, get yourself a good numbing agent (Anbesol or something like that), and I found staying still as much as possible helped. I slept on extra pillows -- having my head level with or lower than my heart made it thump harder.

And I'll pray "this too" passes quickly.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also a pill-head, so I know what you're talking about. But for me, the "grin and bear it" approach won't cut it. I've had to be proactive, and there are resources that are helpful. In the methadone literature, there is a "letter to your doctor" that is designed to be copied and presented to doctors and dentists. It not only has broad guidelines, it offers a number an interested doc can call for specifics.

There has been an awakening in the pain-control field in recent years, but we addicts are still at the mercy of whatever person is treating us. I know in my own case, even after informing all my docs of my history, an accident put me in the hospital with severe injuries that, due to my honesty, caused me to be under-treated for pain. It wasn't until years later that I learned that under-treating an addict is as bad or worse than overuse of painkillers.

We cannot predict what will happen. But taking the time to make sure our doctors are informed *ahead of time* of our problems, can make a world of difference. I've certainly had my share of egotistical docs who believe "its my way or the highway", but the good ones appreciate a bit of education and honesty. Once you have an advocate who truly understands, your chance of avoiding suffering without awakening the beast are greatly enhanced.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well why don't you have a drink of whiskey or something then? That should help and it will disinfect it somewhat. Or is that a no-go also?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well why don't you have a drink of whiskey or something then? That should help and it will disinfect it somewhat. Or is that a no-go also?
No vinter, you can have it. I am doing fine thanks :rotfxko
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

jane,

Glad to know you're doing fine! We miss you in the Hen House!

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whiskey would be a no go for most of us - certainly would be for me.

D
Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here D. NO mind altering substances for me. Actually my pain is much less today. In few days I'll remove my wisdom tooth and then things will be finally solved.

Lenina- Thanks that's sweet. I wil definately post more there. You folks are amazing.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jane, your determination is inspirational for me to see. I was only off 50-60- mg per day for a few days and I succumbed to another script. I wasn't even "that" sick--runny nose and aches but getting around and working. It's the depression that I can't stand. Now I am taking pills and still depressed...I will try again.

As for general immune support, buy colloidal silver at your local health food store. It is a natural antibiotic and immunce support builder. I take a capful three times per day for general maintenance. I took several slugs for two days when I felt a bladder infection coming on (also sprayed the area) and it passed--no antibiotics!! There is no alcohol in colloidal silver. Not much taste.
Take care.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
little darlin'

Hi Jane,
I wanted to let you know that I think you handled this situation very, very well. I have had my share of problems with my teeth, partly as a result of years and years of popping pain pills myslef, and until the last year or so, I always gave in and took narcotics. My dentist offered them repeatedly even though he was fully aware of my addiction issues. He felt that it was unnessecary for me to suffer however, I was fully aware that my suffering would be far worse in the long run if I went with the pills. I ended up taking a couple of days off and stocking up on Aleve and Melatonin. I knew rest and relaxation would be most helpful so I slept. A lot. It took about 2 days for the antibiotics to kick in and the difference they made was crazy... I felt so much better. It sounds like that's where you might be now. Be prepared to endure some additional pain when the actual extraction takes place but I'll bet you surprised yourself this time being able to tough it out with the resources you had... you can do it again. Oh! and cold compresses (as mentioned above) really helped me to. Take Care and Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jane, your determination is inspirational for me to see.
lowgrade thank you. I relate to that. I was inspired by many clean addicts who managed to " not pick up no matter what". They were clean and sober in lots of painful situations. I saw a close friend of mine get through his father's death from cancer. His father chose to stop his therapy and die peacefully. My friend had to respect his father's death wish while he was struggling to keep his life wish. I also saw many dear friends here on SR staying clean ; Sugah, impurrfect, 2ala2 ... and lots of others(Gosh I wish I can write down all their names.) You see, I gave up on life and was like a speeding car without a brake. I bet my family expected that I will definately end up dead either by suicide , car crash.. I gave up on life and my family gave up on me. My sister decided to detache herself because it was too painful for her to see me destroying myself. She spent the night crying on my bed when I was in a coma in ICU. It was the bits and pieces that I grasped from people who were trying to reach through to me which made all the difference . That got me back to the rooms 2 years later with the hope that I can stay clean tooif I dont pick up that first drug or drink .

I wanted to let you know that I think you handled this situation very, very well.
jkm - thank you so much. I'm not used to praise myself . I am too hard on msyelf and I needed to hear that today.

And I'll pray "this too" passes quickly.
Sugah- It passed indeed. I "borrowed" your strength for a while when I needed it thanks. I would have never thought that I wont cave in to get some painkillers but I did. You know what's funny, the first pill I ever took was codeine given by my dentist for a tooth ache. yup, who would have thought I would spiral that much out of control. The fact is the problem is not in pills. I would have abused water lol if it's possible. Once I tried to start cutting with a razor because I was clean but never repeated it since I am aware of my compulsive nature. Im feeling so much better and hoepfully this will all end soon. love you all
Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm just trying to help, there's no need to laugh. I don't know if alcohol's a problem for you or not and it's quite a practical solution. There's no alimentary code saying you can't spit it out after and mouthwash really isn't strong enough.

This is going to sound dumb as hell, but when I had a filling fall out and had a major hole for awhile, when it would ache I'd put bits of garlic or onion in. It worked pretty good.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is going to sound dumb as hell, but when I had a filling fall out and had a major hole for awhile, when it would ache I'd put bits of garlic or onion in.
Vinter, no this is not dump. I put garlic on my tooth and it did help. I also eat lots of garlic in the evenings . However, the dump thing for me is to get near alcohol. I dont think I am alcoholic but whenever I drink I end up using drugs. Alcohol is a drug for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Actually, alcohol is a drug for anyone! One of the reasons it took so long for me to get any kind of sobriety was my stubborn refusal to accept that "a drug is a drug". My first trip through rehab, I saw my "problem" as being IV cocaine use. Since (in my mind) I never had a drinking problem, I assumed I could continue "social drinking" as I saw fit. Listening to other peoples' stories over the years, I can safely say this kind of thinking is common. As I was told, one little three-letter word encompasses EVERY mood-altering drug: "I don't have a problem with <insert drug name here> YET".