Notices

Shooting up water..

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shooting up water..

I found track marks on my bf who supposedly cleaned up and he's claiming that he's been shooting up water because apparently doing that helps with anxiety. I guess what he is trying to say is that doing the 'act' makes him feel better. I really don't believe this because there are other things that do not add up. The only reason I asked is because I was out with him one day and he 'had to go to the bathroom' long story short he came out with huge swollen marks around his wrists and didn't seem high at all but lied about it then went on to tell me about the water thing. He's supposedly taking his meds but I don't know at this point. He's on Suboxone...Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds fishy to me.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry...had to split for awhile and didn't really address your question. I was an IV drug user for many years, and though there were times, when coming off a coke binge, when I was ready to shoot ice water, it was never a practice I pursued. Claiming that shooting water reduces anxiety sounds (to be blunt) like a bogus explanation of a desperate user. I can see doing it once, but what would be the reward? Many of develop a sort of "needle fixation", but we used the needles for a reason: the rush.

To give the guy the complete benefit of a doubt, shooting water is a terrible way to address anxiety. The fact that he missed and messed up his wrists is further evidence that the guy most definitely has a problem. Having other people discover my IV use was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life, and I lied with impunity to rationalize or conceal what I was doing. Viewing IV drug use as anything less than a desperate and despicable act, and an indication that the users is in desperate need of help will only prolong the disease and set the addict up for horrible consequences. The guy needs immediate intervention!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he's really taking his subs, daily as prescribed, I doubt that shooting any opiate would do him any good, and I do know someone who used to shoot water when there was no H around.

...For anxiety though? Maybe, (anythings possible) but not likely.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that he can't really do opiates if he's taking his subs...I did watch him take it today but as for other days...that I don't know. I am trying not to fall into the typical codie patterns though I admit I have been doing so quite a bit lately...A few things have not added up with what he has said and he looks like he's lost weight but he eats like a horse. Everyday there is also a reason to take off but his personality seems a lot different and more 'with it' then when I KNEW he was using earlier last month. I just don't know because his arms are all f'd up and I just don't know if I'm buying into it or he's using it for the rush. Just the same he needs help....I just wonder if the time he did it around me was just because he didn't have anything and does use or if he is legitimately clean and is hooked on the 'needle'. I have been trying so hard to not be in the codie but here I am worrying and worrying. I mean the track marks, the disappearing, and other odd things just scare me. Of course I want to believe he is clean but I also don't want to find out too little too late that it goes beyond that. Even if it is a fixation on the needle and he isn't using...how long will it really be until it starts again? He is supposedly in outpatient treatment through the Catholic Charities and is supposed to be taking 4mgs of Suboxone a day but I don't know for sure that he is doing as he says...Ugh thank you everyone for your help and experience with this...it really means a lot
Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Shooting water only increased my jones and did NOTHING to alleviate my addiction...but I have done it...out of desperation..
Let us know how things pan out.
love norty
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zak

Here's what I would do when I was out or untreated,tell you it was water but it's really dope and hord the subs for when I'm out to take the edge off.This would keep you off my back and I could still get high,this is just what we do anyway you mask it.I don't know him but I know addiction very well were the best liers in the world.Look for pinpoint eyes and you don't play around like your useing when your not,sorry but this is so true!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

wow. I like that:

and you don't play around like your useing when your not
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm certainly not giving medical advice, but 4mg/day is quite a low dose for maintenance. If he is still craving drugs, he could be needing a larger dose. A properly-maintained patient should not be experiencing withdrawals and cravings. I have known patients who try to keep their dosage low in the hope that they can use. If he is not honest with his doc, problems are sure to follow.

Janie, you sure appear to be giving your best efforts to helping him. Please don't neglect yourself! Just because he uses and has problems does not mean you aren't doing all you can. Programs like Al-Anon and Nar-Anon are specifically for those close to an addict. Getting together with people who are living through what you are (or have done it) can provide you with the support YOU need.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree that the 4mgs is a low dose and he said that he is "going" to s/w his doctor about upping his medication and that his therapist just told him to find a hobby so that it doesn't get to this point...yeah...It is hard not to feel like I am not enough and all of those other 'codie' feelings. I am trying to step back but when he is here, it is too hard. I was lying in bed with him today watching TV and he's definitely lost a lot of weight. He also found yet another reason to leave today. I don't know what is going on with the Subs but I think I KNOW what is going on with him. I am trying to look out for me and just not play into everything as I have been. As I mentioned, today he left and I have declared not to do the texting or the other things...It just sucks, even if it's not with me by his side I do pray that he finds his way. I am starting to focus more on me too..it's hard to do I must admit but I'm taking it one day at a time. In my heart, I know what I have to do and I am making plans to carry it out once and for all. Thank you again everyone for your advice and kind words
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boredom can definitely be a trigger. Meeting friends who are also in recovery was a lifesaver for me. I was VERY reluctant to burn bridges, both consciously and sub-consciously. Staying clean isn't easy, but it is nowhere near as hard as I made it. I kept waiting for something to happen, rather than getting off my ass and doing something. These days, there are even more options available online. There are tapes, books....the list is practically endless. I had this notion that AA/NA folks were a bunch of bible-thumping idiots without a life. Of course that was complete BS and only an excuse to do what I wanted to do.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just watch for nodding an hour or so after you think he might have taken it. It's pretty common and looks rather disagreeable. Be sure to make a scene of it in public, that will reinforce his sense of self-worth. I'm joking. You already know what to do.

But yeah, people do shoot water pretty often, placebo effect is a well documented phenomena. It's probably Freudian.