Notices

Friend

Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend

Hey all,

I usually post in the alcoholism forum but this thread seems more appropriate for this post. I missed my AA meeting this evening and just heard from a friend in the program about an hour ago.

There was a girl about a year older than I am who came into the rooms about a month after me. She always seemed so off kilter even when she had several months clean. She relapsed about a month ago... She came in with 2 cut wrist talking about how she was still young still had too much fun to have--how she couldn't give up drinking with people her own age etc... she thought she still had time

My friend told me last night on November 14, 2009 she OD'd on H and left us forever.

My first friend lost in sobriety, I understand it is very common... but it still is shocking...

For all those still struggling know that we never know when tonight will be over the line... That is why I choose not to drink or drug today...

Clayton
Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

Clayton,

I am so sorry for your loss. I am in an intensive outpatient program for 12 weeks (actually, I just graduated from it Friday night) and it was told to me, before it began, that if you can get through those 12 weeks of IOP without seeing someone die...consider yourself lucky.

On week 11, a gentleman in my class named Russell passed away from abusing OTC meds. He got disoriented, fell, smacked his head and died from a complication due to a brain hemorrhage. He was only in his 30's and a single dad of a six year old son.

It was very sobering for all of us...no pun intended.

I am certain it has to be very difficult for you to know someone so young and vibrant has succumb to the horrors of drugs and alcohol. Don't let it hurt your OWN sobriety. Don't let it become a trigger for you. Instead, understand the valuable lesson she has left behind and honor her with your continued recovery.

Again, I am so sorry this happened. May she find peace now from the demons who plagued her young life.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Clayton

D
Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I know how it feels to lose someone in that way.

My prayers are with you.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I was so sorry to read this Clayton.

That is so sad...

I know once we make it into the rooms we hear stories about things like this, but living through them is a very different experience. My small home group is still hurting after the death of a recovering addict this month, who passed away from a disease he got through his time in active addiction over 10 years ago. I don't even want to imagine what it will be like when one of the people in our group who hasn't gotten the message yet doesn't come back through the door. It's a very scary thought.

Thank you for reminding us of the nature of this disease -- cunning, baffling, powerful and deadly -- never to be taken lightly.

Big hugs and my condolences.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

cyber hugs and prayers coming your way...i am so sorry to hear of your loss...take care-
Old 11-15-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support... We were not particularly close... but we had talked a lot outside of meetings, especially earlier this summer... The last time I saw her she ask my friend and I for money to put on her phone. I thought twice about it, realized I would never see the money again, then further realized it didn't matter... so we watched her buy a phone card. Then we 4 walked out for coffee after the meeting... she was about 15 paces behind us... I wanted to say something but didn't have anything to say... I know it isn't my fault... an old cliche comes to mind... my illness wants me dead--but it will settle for me being drunk or high...

Agata 1987-2009 RIP
Old 11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I have to believe that they come to us as teachers....
all of them who do not survive the disease.

I have to believe
they crossed my path
just like a parent who jumps in front of a train
to save a child
and gets hit by the train
themselves....
or the big brother who falls in the water
after saving a total stranger from drowning.

Their loss of life
teaches me just how immediate
death is in the life of an alcoholic or an addict.
By working even harder
to live life in sobriety
and to it's potential
their loss
was not in vain.
They all become teachers.

I have to believe that.

Thank you for the reminder
that life is a gift
and not a right.