Notices

Dilaudid Dependency/Addiction

Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Dilaudid Dependency/Addiction

Not sure if this is where I should post. My husband was dx 15 months ago with Stage IV rectal cancer. To make a long story short he has had 5 surgeries, chemoradiation & 9 months of chemo. He has been on dilaudid since the very first surgery in May 2008. He has taken it everyday since then 2mg pills He takes 5-6 a day about every four hours. It has now dawned on all his doctors that he had a dependency. I saw he could not stop without going through withdrawal and he liked the feeling too much. I believe the pain he says he has is manifested by his body needing the drug. Now good news is he is in remission for now..bad news he is a zombie and 139 lbs. He is trim at 175. THey are sending him to see a Dr. Colemn of the Coleman Institute to get off the drug.
My questions are.......Is this a dependency or addiction?
How difficult will it be to get off the dilaudid. He thinks because they are only 2mg but takes a total of 10-12 it will not be a big deal. He has been on them every day for 15 months. I do not know what to expect? He will have to be hospitalized as the withdrawal side effects could kill him in his current condition. I am sure his oncologist/surgeon will demand it. Any info on what to expect? It is hurting our family as he just wants to sleep take the drugs. He does manage to work a night/desk job for 7-8 hours. THANKS
Chris
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry to hear of this tragedy... with a possibly happy ending?

From what I have seen there is no clear cut pattern as to how he will do in reducing and/or eliminating his medication intake.

Some stop easier than others.

Show him a great deal of support though and be thankful he is alive.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's really good he's getting medical help getting off the dilaudid. It's hard to say whether it's dependency or addiction. For me, It was the same. My physicall withdrawels were so bad, I mentally needed the drugs. I'm a full blowm addict, but sober for a little over a year. Just take it one step at a time. But make sure you communicate with the doctors as much as possible.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

The good news is that he recognizes it. There is a fine line between addiction and dependency. I am not an expert or a doctor- only an addict. I can share my opinions on your situation.
Generally "addicts" are more obsessed with their drug of choice (often referred to as DOC) than someone whos body has simply become dependent on it. Addicts abuse their DOC. They tend to count pills and revolve their day around their next dose. Most addicts start out as people dependent on the meds for pain, and it escalates.
I have never taken dilaudid. I am in recovery for an addiction to vicodin, which started after giving birth to my second daughter. I needed the pain meds for a couple weeks legitimately but loved the feeling and energy it gave me so much, I could not stop. Coming to this site, going to NA has taught me sooo much about addiction. Its way more involved than I could have imagined. Never thought this would have happened to me- there are a lot of misconceptions about addictions- it can happen to anyone.
As I said Ive never taken your husbands DOC. I would assume that a good doctor would help him taper down before quitting. Generally speaking, detox off pain meds will not kill you. I dont believe their have been any deaths reported from it. However, you will feel like crap for a while. The WORST of it is over in 3-5 days after quitting. During that time he will experience flu-like symptoms, anxiety, depression, lack of sleep, diarrhea, fatigue, etc. It is important to come on this site during that time. There is a lot that can help him while detoxing (OTC meds, etc).
The main thing I think you can do right now is be supportive and encouraging. It would really benefit him to taper off to lower his tolerance before going cold turkey. After the first 7-14 days, the physical symptoms will subside (potentially not the insomnia) and the mental will continue. This is often the most difficult. It will also more clearly define if he is addicted or dependent. If he is going crazy craving it and obsessing about it, he is likely addicted at that point. If this happens, you need to be able to recognize it and deal with it appropriately. If he has never abused drugs or alcohol in the past, then I recommend being understanding him and nipping it in the bud. You have to be patient.
Gather as much info as you can. He can do this, but it wont be easy. The more educated you both are the better it will be. The most important things are for him to be honest (and FEEL LIKE HE CAN BE HONEST) with you and for you to come here during detox so we can guide you.
Good luck!!

Last edited by Nallabelle; 08-20-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NIKKI

addicted to dilaudid

Originally Posted by clheithoff View Post
Not sure if this is where I should post. My husband was dx 15 months ago with Stage IV rectal cancer. To make a long story short he has had 5 surgeries, chemoradiation & 9 months of chemo. He has been on dilaudid since the very first surgery in May 2008. He has taken it everyday since then 2mg pills He takes 5-6 a day about every four hours. It has now dawned on all his doctors that he had a dependency. I saw he could not stop without going through withdrawal and he liked the feeling too much. I believe the pain he says he has is manifested by his body needing the drug. Now good news is he is in remission for now..bad news he is a zombie and 139 lbs. He is trim at 175. THey are sending him to see a Dr. Colemn of the Coleman Institute to get off the drug.
My questions are.......Is this a dependency or addiction?
How difficult will it be to get off the dilaudid. He thinks because they are only 2mg but takes a total of 10-12 it will not be a big deal. He has been on them every day for 15 months. I do not know what to expect? He will have to be hospitalized as the withdrawal side effects could kill him in his current condition. I am sure his oncologist/surgeon will demand it. Any info on what to expect? It is hurting our family as he just wants to sleep take the drugs. He does manage to work a night/desk job for 7-8 hours. THANKS
Chris
I WAS PUT ON PAIN PILLS FOR SEVERE PAIN IN MY NECK AND THE NIGHTMARE BEGAN. I NEVER IN MY LIFE USED DRUGS OR ALOCHOL. I DID NOT ABUSE THEM UNTIL ABOUT 6 MONTHS OF BEING ON THEM. MY BODY STARTED NEEDING MORE AND MORE TO FEEL NORMAL AS THE DAYS WENT ON. I EVENTUALLY WENT ON TO USING ROXICODONE AND OXICODONE FOR 2 YEARS STRAIGHT. MY BODY IS SO PHYSICALLY DEPENDANT ON THEM. I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO GET OFF OF THEM AND MENTALLY I AM SO DEPENDANT ON THEM. I HAVE TRIED SUBOXONE AND STILL STRUGGLE TO THIS DAY. I AM KIND OF IN A BIND BECAUSE I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN EVERY DAY BUT MY LIFE WAS UNMANAGEABLE. I HAVE TWO CHILDREN THAT DESPERATLEY NEED THERE MOM. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU STAND BEHIND YOUR HUSBAND 1000% BECAUSE IT IS THE HARDEST THING TO DO IN LIFE. (STOP USING) MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN AND SUPPORT HIM AT EVERY APPOINTMENT. HE NEEDS YOU EVEN IF HE SAYS HE DOESNT. sO SORRY TO HEAR THAT HE HAS CANCER BUT AS A THYROID CANCER SURVIVOR I KNOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO WIN THE BATTLE!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.

A forum that you may find more information & support at;
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It is not wise to ask for medical questions here at SR as none of us are to be giving medical advice.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I began taking pain meds after an accident ten years ago. My orthopedic dr. told me that your body can become addcited to narcotic pain meds after taking them as prescribed for two weeks. I started out taking them for pain, but eventually, that turn into taking them due to the fact that I felt bad if I didn't. Fast forward to now...ten years later.
Before entering rehab ten months ago, I was swallowing thirty, 10mg of hydro or oxycodones per day just to keep from being sick.
As for your question about is it dependency or addiction...all I can say is, your husband sounds just like me...he took them in the beginning for legit reasons, and his body became addicted to the drug...that happens. But now, if he's lying about the pain, or taking more than he's supposed to....that sounds like addcition.
**** luck to you both,

Penny
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. He will not be able to detox at home because of being so weak from chemo, malnourished and painfully thin. My hope is that he will be able to withdraw and they will admit him to hospital to keep him hydrated and watch his respiration. Or I will ask the doctor and the oncologist since he was the one that kept giving him the meds to do this. My kids have been through so much. I could never let them see him go through this at home. We have appt on Tuesday. THanks again.
Good luck to all.
Chris