Notices

Is this what being "high" is? (Adderall)

Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this what being "high" is? (Adderall)

I'm 21 years old and I've never done drugs before, not even pot. About 7 months ago my psychiatrist prescribed me Adderall. I don't abuse it, I take the prescribed 30mg that I'm supposed to. I notice that when I take it...I feel better about things. I feel what I believe is how normal people feel. I don't really know for certain what "normal" feels like, because I've always had mental health problems. When I take my Adderall I'm not "out of it" or insanely happy. I just feel more motivated, focused, pleasant, and positive. I know Adderall gives some people a euphoric effect, but I'd never call what I feel "euphoria". My younger brother does pot and he says he giggles constantly on it. I don't do anything like that, I just feel pretty good. Although when it's wearing off I feel incredibly depressed. I'm trying antidepressants to help with that.

I'm aware of the fact that Adderall can be addictive for some people. After 21 years of life, I still have no desire to get high. I see my situation as me taking my medication to better myself and my life. Others may see it as taking a drug that's giving me "false" feelings. I have nothing to compare m experience to since I've never been high before. I don't think it's possible to be experiencing a high and not even being aware of it. Can anyone tell me if taking a normal prescribed dose of Adderall, has similar effects of taking drugs like cocaine/speed etc?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Babylove, I've never taken Adderall so can not offer any experience on that.

However I think it's great you are not abusing your meds or chasing a high.

There's nothing wring with taking prescribed meds in their prescribed dose. I am on antidepressants and they help me very much.

It's good that you are asking this question, You are obviously very responsible,
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by babylove View Post
Can anyone tell me if taking a normal prescribed dose of Adderall, has similar effects of taking drugs like cocaine/speed etc?
Yes, it does. That dose is equivalent to a very mild meth high, in my experience. It's a lot like a very prolonged caffeine buzz.

I used to self-medicate depression with Adderall. I am currently on Wellbutrin, which is similar in structure to a stimulant, and does have some mild stimulant effects. I have never done so well with an antidepressant as I am doing with this one. Though my Wellbutrin has stimulant effects, I am not tempted to take more than prescribed, even as these effects have been diminishing over time.

It is important to learn that there are drugs that help and drugs that harm. What has abuse potential for one person might be saving the life of another. Just because your medication has a discernible effect on you does not mean it is bad. And when that effect is helping you, that probably means it is good.

All drugs have side effects. We must always weigh the pros and cons. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, and make sure you completely understand him or her. That is what he or she gets paid for.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Adderall is a form of speed, just so you know. I'm a speed addict, I took lots and lots of adderall before, from what you're describing, the drug is actually doing it's job. Your purpose in taking the drug is obviously to help something, and it's working on what it's supposed to help (concentration problem?). As an addict, I took it for the high as I did not have a situation where I needed to actually take adderall so there was nothing for it to really "help" so it just kind of stayed in my system giving me a high. It is much more euphoric than you have described. But in common experience, I did become severly depressed coming down off that drug.

If you don't think it's right for you, then tell your doc and they'll get you something else hopefully. Good for you, not abusing it, keep it that way
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
vicariousrising

My son has been on Adderall for about 8 years, and he sometimes doesn't take his medication on the weekends if he doesn't feel like it (it suppresses his appetite and he's a growing kid), so I don't feel as if he's addicted. At least not at this point after 8 years. When I've asked him about how he feels on and off the meds, he says that he doesn't feel doped up or high on the meds either. In fact, he says he feels calmer and more able to focus than when not on the Adderall. It sounds like it is functioning similarly for you.

From what his doctors have told me, the Adderall stimulates the prefrontal cortex that those with ADHD have a slower chemistry there. If you're taking the proper dose and that is what your issue is, and you are talking to your doctor (which my son does on a regular basis), you should be fine.

Honesty with yourself and your doctor is the key.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

oops, I misread a post. La di da da.

Last edited by spittake; 07-31-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: can't delete
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.

It is against this websites policy to ask and/or give medical advice.
Please consult a health care professional about these concerns.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been taking adderall for years now. I have AD/HD.
If you need to take it daily your not really addicted to to.
I've heard the first 3 days of taking it you have a little bit of euphoria but than it stops.
People that take it without AD/HD say there way more focus and theres a buzz that goes on.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a point of clarification ... euphoria basically means 'a feeling of well-being or happiness'. It has nothing to do with giggling, and it doesn't mean 'insanely happy'. Opioids, for example, are a very euphoric drug, but many of them produce almost no noticeable outward signs of intoxication except in high doses.

I'm not giving advice on this subject, all I'm saying is ... adderall is a euphoric drug, and it can DEFINITELY be abused, and habit-forming. And to almost everyone who eventually became an addict of some drug, at FIRST, it seems to them like 'this drug is what has been missing in my life. I finally feel 'normal' or 'how I'm supposed to feel' now that I'm taking it.'

So ... stick to your prescribed dose at all times, and stay in close contact with your doctor regarding how the drug is affecting you. I'd be a little worried about the fact that when the drug is wearing off you feel depressed. That is *exactly* how the cycle of addiction gets started my friend.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tangerine dream

I don't abuse it, I take the prescribed 30mg that I'm supposed to. I notice that when I take it...I feel better about things. I feel what I believe is how normal people feel.
Dude I get EXACTLY the same feeling. My dr. used to treat me for bipolar disorder but a couple years back I stopped taking the mood stabilizers because I found I was totally fine with just the adderall. It kinda works as an anti-depressant. But then again, I guess some symptoms of depression can resemble ADHD, so it would make sense that the medications might have similar affects.

I'm aware of the fact that Adderall can be addictive for some people.
It's horribly addictive, and now I'm totally dependent on it. I literally cannot be productive in any way whatsoever when I run out or do not take my Adderall. Living with a junky did not help because I would share with him and run out 2 weeks before getting my refill, and then end up spending a hundred bucks to get more from my neighbor.

I guess thats the kicker: If you're not using drugs and you're not abusing the adderall, and it's not on your mind like 24/7 when you don't have it, and you aren't breaking your bank to get more cause you ran out too early, then you're probably fine. Unfortunately I made the mistake of adjusting my own dosage so for a time I was eating those stupid pink pills like tic tacs.

Can anyone tell me if taking a normal prescribed dose of Adderall, has similar effects of taking drugs like cocaine/speed etc?
All I know is that the normal prescribed dose should not make you feel like you're cracked out on drugs.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's working fine for you. If you do take an antidepressant with neurotransmitter-reuptake inhibitory qualities do try to find one that doesn't have a terribly strong action on presynaptic serotonin modulation. The only thing I would watch for is drug-resistance (tolerance) building. Apart from that I wouldn't worry about it too much.