Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Neurontin(gabapentin) withdrawals are hell on earth.

Notices

Neurontin(gabapentin) withdrawals are hell on earth.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Ive been on Gab for about 6 months tho only 2/100mgs aday ... havnt noticed anything other then its not workin for me , Ive ran out a few times and didnt notice anything odd . but then it could be the low dose , Im going back to see my dr in 2 weeks and seeing bout getting something diff for my Fibro . but Im almost outta um I have 2 more days left and dont wanna waste the $ if i get switched over to something better for my managment .. but now im reading all this and :eek .. perhaps see if they will fill for enuff days til the appointment verses the entire months worth this way i dont gotta test to see if Id go thu some of all your mentions . thanks for the heads up on this .. huggles Endzy

Last edited by endzoner; 07-19-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

YIKES! I was prescribed this 2-3 months ago....I do not need anything that gives me the heeby-jeebies if I miss a dose or two!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
YIKES! I was prescribed this 2-3 months ago....I do not need anything that gives me the heeby-jeebies if I miss a dose or two!
I can't think of too many medications that you won't feel some negative effect on if you stop taking at once w/o tapering down..especially once your body gets good and used to it.

This one, is no exception!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A Dr. once told me never to check the internet re- drugs, side effects; etc. You will get conflicting answers alot of the time.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizrox View Post
A Dr. once told me never to check the internet re- drugs, side effects; etc. You will get conflicting answers alot of the time.
Doctors also hate the net because (sometimes) the "light comes shining thru" and their "activities" get exposed.

I'm sure we all know the doctors I'm talkin about........... those with guaranteed return customers
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

im on gab for pain and anxiety in the bipolar life. i take 600mg 3x a day and i gotta say it has been a life saver. its non narcotic and helps me not snap at everyone. first time in my life that i have this ok. not a drug high at all. working a program and taking the right meds do help
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowman76 View Post
I can't think of too many medications that you won't feel some negative effect on if you stop taking at once w/o tapering down..especially once your body gets good and used to it.

This one, is no exception!
Never a truer statement made.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DavyDave View Post
I am taking this drug legitimately by my doctor. I am NOT abusing it. However, I want off because it is no longer helping me treating my pain. My doctor always has to increase the dose I'm sick of increasing. My body builds up an immunity to it and its faster then any opiate I've taken. Anyway, I was taking 600mg 4x a day. I stopped one of doses and now it's 600mg 3x a day.

Here is what I am experiencing:

-Difficulty breathing
-Abdominal pain
-Anxiety
-Nerve Pain
-Spine pain
-Racing Thoughts
-Severe Sweating(waking up at night with soaked sheets)
-Jumpy, agitated feeling

I feel like I am going crazy.

My doctor says it cannot be the Neurontin because it doesn't cause withdrawals and I can stop it completely with ease. But the Internet says different. My body say different.

Anyone on here have any experience with this drug? Any suggestions?
Dave... I found this site out of quencedence.... I had EXACALLY those feeling last two nights... coming down from Gabapentin.. way to funny (NOT) I felt like I was gonna die... breathing stopping .. soaked sheets... NOT FREAKING GOOD... thanx for your posting.. I don't feel like I AM going crazy.. just withdrawing...

Comfortable in my skin again
Chris
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

DavyDave, I likewise have been weaning myself off of gabapentin/neurontin with my Doctors concent I was on gabapentin for 10 years with a dose of 2400 to3000 miligrams a day, I've been at this weaning process for 10 months and made it down to 1200 miligrams at bedtime.

Recently I've been searching the internet for answers as I like you was experiencing the worst withdrawal of my life. I think I finally found something to mitigate or lessen the withdrawal to a tolerable level. I read on the internet that magnesium supplements would help mitigate the withdrawal symptoms of the gabapentin withdrawal. I remember that taking a bath with a solution of epsom salt allows the body to be infused with magnesium ions, I used the epsom salt as gargle, just a 1/4 teaspoon's worth in a half a glass of water and gargle or swish it around your mouth and spit it out. This gets the magmeseum into your system faster than the over the counter magnesium supplement which I allso take, one 500 miligram magnesium tablet an hour before you take your gabapentin. I understand the magnesium latches onto the same brain chemical receptor in the brain as does the gabapentin, so by taking the Magnesiium first and wait an hour before taking the bagapentin this allows the magmesium a chance to bind with the chemical receptor in the brain instead of the gabapentin, I don't exactly why the magmesium works perhaps there is a magnesium defeciency in the body and the gabapentin has supplanted the magnesium and so the magnesium can not do its proper job in the bodies chemistry. So when you are withdrawing from gabapentin your body needs magnesium and since the body nagbesium is depleted you experience a lot of pain and sufferin ans it seems impossable to wean yourself off of the gabapentin. To make the long story short. Since I started gargleing with epsom salts and the 500 miligram magnesium supplement my withdrawal is virtually nonexistent.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR ....OneLordMaster...robertpcx

All my best as you move forward

BTW...DavyDave has not returned to our site for almost
10 months. I certainly hope he too is doing well..
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Krb

DANG IT IS RIGHT. I have been on 3x600 a day also I haven't made it to the pharmacy yet so have been taking 1 or 2 for a few days. And have felt really weird and paranoid. Guess that's probably it huh? Well I know exactly where IM going when the doors open
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Angry Didn't know gabapentin was addictive

I was on hydrocodone for a couple of years and went through 2 weeks of hell getting off it. When my doctor recommended gabapentin she said it was not addictive. Now reading these posts I am really scared. I am going to start weaning off of it. I am angry right now that my doctor didn't tell me possible withdrawal symtoms. I told her I wanted nothing that had any possible withdrawal symtoms. She knew about the hydrocodone, she prescribed it in the first place.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My dr prescribed me gabapentin 400 mg 5x daily but I try to take breaks every few days because I'm afraid to have withdrawal. I had bad withdrawal from lyrica and then switched to gabapentin. I'm actually out of it and have to go pick up it tomorrow. It does cause me to relax and be a bit more motivated. My doctor told me it stops drug cravings?? I'm on day 24 clean from heroin. It might be helping slightly with paws? Idk I just don't need or want to ever go through drug withdrawal again. I've gone through dt's from cold turkey stoping Xanax 16 mg daily and tons of opiate. My psychiatrist also told me not to read the Internet about the gabapentin w/d! Weird!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

My husband and myself were prescribed gabapentin a few years ago. It only took one dose by each of us to know we didn't want any part of that drug. It made both of us light headed and not feeling too good. The pills were poured into a large baggie along with a bunch of other pills then the baggie was taken to our local police station for disposal. There are way too many drugs being poured down into the sewage systems. We don't have city sewage so it ends up in the ground out back. Yuck! No wonder the deer and rabbits like our grass so much! LOL

Wishing y'all lots of luck with your recovery! Maybe look at trying some natural herbs!

TOD
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I just found this forum, because I wanted validation for the "discomfort" I've been having today, being out of Neurontin. Even though, I've taken it for...12? years, so of course I KNOW that it produces effects. Just good to hear it from others sometimes too.

I have MS, diagnosed in 2001. I've pretty much taken Neurontin from the beginning, with some gaps in between, but never for too long. Right now, I'm on approximately 900 mg a day, but I have been as high as 5400 mg/day (I spoke with my doctor long ago about this, who told me that in his review of literature about it, the highest dose he had ever read about being administered was 6,000 mg/day...and he didn't want to go over that.). Technically, it's been prescribed to me for neuropathic pain. Let me just give you the few things that I KNOW about Neurontin...and you can take or leave what you will:
-- For me, Neurontin has never actually gotten RID of my pain. Ever. It has, however, made it to where I just didn't CARE that I was in pain...
-- That is primarily because of the #1 side effect I have from it, that of feeling "loopy". Which is generally a positive mood, and can translate on any given day to feeling drunk, talkative, mildly euphoric, often forgetful, and even horny. Neurontin, imho, has always worked very well at removing the "care" from most situations (physical or emotional).
-- My body, at least, acclimates to doses incredibly fast. Literally within 2 days, the dose that worked will no longer. While the manufacturer & my doctor recommend a dosing regimen that is spaced around approximately 8 hour intervals, I have figured out an alternative method of taking it, which in MY case works much better (I'm totally not recommending this, now). I have gotten to the point where I now take a maintenance dose of 600 mg in the morning, every day. After that, it just depends. I may take one if I feel my MS pain flaring up....even two in an afternoon...and then not take anymore for a week. Or a month. Or, maybe I'll take 3 a day for a week. It just depends. That really is a roller coaster ride for my body, I know...but to me, it makes more sense than constantly eating them to keep a certain blood level up...which doesn't really seem to do me any good ANYWAY....and which most definitely makes withdrawal more of a sure thing, as well as forces you to have to keep increasing the dosage to obtain the same benefit.

I have only been taking the 600 mg in the a.m. regularly...so that today, when I totally ran out, I'm really feeling it. The only real effect that I *notice* any more (keep in mind, I take a LOT of meds with a lot of major effects...plus the MS...it can be hard to differentiate!), is that all of a sudden my body will just HEAT UP. Like having an instant fever, with sweating & just this desperate sort of feeling that "oh my GOD it's just so hot!!!" Granted, heat terrifies me anyway b/c of the MS...so maybe other people don't panic at the thought. But it does make me uncomfortably hot, very fast.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

GYW: I don't know anything about MS, but I do have my own physical problems I deal with 24/7. I'm a Disabled Veteran to give you an ideal on my problems.

I just wanted to attest to the fact that, YES! Anything we take for a long time can leave us with a sort of withdrawal symptoms when we come off of it. Just like I did when I had to go off my Advil for two weeks. It sort of felt like I was going thru all the things I experienced when coming off the hydro's. It was weird!

TOD
Old 05-11-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Pfew!!

Im glad im not the only one that found withdrawing from gabapentin to be a living hell!!!

Id initially started taking it to help me kick my heroin addiction, mostly because even with methadone(im on a fairly small ammnt), i could not sleep at night to save my life. So id started taking like 3-4 60mg gaba oills at night to sleep, i did that for about one month, and by the last two weeks, i was taking about 8-10 of thise same pills. I knew i had to stop, so i did, and two weeks of sweating, shaking, stuttering, depression, suicidal thoughts, and vommiting, it finally ended. Im never touching that **** again. NEVER. Heroin wasnt even that bad. To think...my room mate dummies those pills like 12-16 if them 3 times a day. Id catch him shaking violently in the morning, while smoking, and i figured it was from the booze, cuz hes a total alcoholic, but now i know better...hes ******!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DavyDave View Post
I am taking this drug legitimately by my doctor. I am NOT abusing it. However, I want off because it is no longer helping me treating my pain. My doctor always has to increase the dose I'm sick of increasing. My body builds up an immunity to it and its faster then any opiate I've taken. Anyway, I was taking 600mg 4x a day. I stopped one of doses and now it's 600mg 3x a day.

Here is what I am experiencing:

-Difficulty breathing
-Abdominal pain
-Anxiety
-Nerve Pain
-Spine pain
-Racing Thoughts
-Severe Sweating(waking up at night with soaked sheets)
-Jumpy, agitated feeling

I feel like I am going crazy.

My doctor says it cannot be the Neurontin because it doesn't cause withdrawals and I can stop it completely with ease. But the Internet says different. My body say different.

Anyone on here have any experience with this drug? Any suggestions?
DavyDave I have been taking it for 3 years for nerve pain but shamefully I started by taking it from a trusted family member for back pain. I found it gave me euphoria and a feeling of well being/excitement. I don't care what any doctor tells u I know from experience it can be addictive. I started out taking 2 300mg a day. Then started too abuse it for euphoria. Taking as much as 10 300mg at a time. There are withdrawal symptoms for me it is being very tired and very irritable, sweating, unable to stand without getting nauseous. I simply feel awful emotionally and physically. After about 1 year of use I found it was unefective there was no more euphoria no matter how many I took I was taking it just too feel normal. It is extremely hard too quit. I take 2 300 mg by mouth 3 times a day so 6 a day. My doctor also said that there were no known withdrawal symptoms. Currently trying too quit, cold turkey is not the way too quit expecially at the dosage u and I take. It seems this drug's addictive capabilities aren't really noticed by the medical community. Me I accept the blame for my addiction it wasn't the doctors fault. I feel ur pain. u however should have been notified by ur doctor on dependence. However not alot is known on this drug cause there hasn't been a lot of research done unfortunately. In answer to ur question there are most definitely withdrawal symptom and urs sound like Neurontin withdrawal. Good luck in whatever u chose to do about this problem.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Gabapentin

I started using gabapentin at a dose of 200 mg 2 times a day and ended when I was taking 600 mg three times a day. I knew something was wrong but attributed most of it to age, but after doing some research I made the call that a lot of my ailments were from taking gabapentin ie sexual dysfunction, indescribable nerve pain, behavior problems (anger) etc. Then I made the decision to stop and let me tell you this drug is totally addicting, I thought I was going to die, my whole system was going haywire so I stopped after about 3 days but cut back and tapered back through 2 years and finally took the last of those poison pills about 9 months ago.
In the past I have quit cold turkey from 100 mg methadone a day, 1 gr. of heroin and as many clonopins or xanax I could get and that was not that much worst then this gabapentin although gabapentin was more of a psycho - intestinal withdrawl whereas opioids are everything is sick withdrawl for me anyway.