Notices

Red-flagging pharmacy records

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by christin1225 View Post
Thanks, Emimily. I have notified my doctors. It's the occasional (or not-so-occasional) trip to the ER or Walk-in that I'm afraid could result in a script when I have less than a sober mind.
Best way to get the squirrels to stop chirping is to stop feeding them

I've been thinking about this, not commenting for some reason I couldn't put my finger on. I think I've got it.

In rehab, I signed releases for all my doctors to be notified that I was seeking treatment. I was flagged, voluntarily, before I ever left the facility. I can't remember if the pharmacy was among those notified, but everyone else was - including the ER. Three months later, I'm laying on my ex-MIL's front porch with my tibia and fibula in splinters. Those flags did not interfere with my ability to receive humane treatment at the ER, or at the hospital where I was sent for reconstructive surgery. When I was released, the pharmacy where I'd filled most of my prescriptions in the past gave me no hassle about filling the one small prescription I was sent home with.

These "flags" don't prevent us from receiving necessary medical treatment -- and there are times when the treatment of pain is necessary. Not nearly so often that we might think, of course! It's become more and more difficult, at least in this state, to obtain and receive large opiate prescriptions (or even small ones, for that matter), though when medically necessary, they won't be denied.

I agree that talking to the doc ahead of time about the surgery. There are plenty of non-narcotic options (including good old listening to discharge instructions), so I'm sure between you and your doctor, you can find one that works for you.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree with Sugah....You should actually READ the instructions from the E.R. Instead of wadding up the papers on my way out like I used to...I just relyed on the script to help.
Now that I'm 10 months clean, I now use other methods to deal with pain, none of which involve narcotics.

Penny
Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah,
I wouldn't make it so much of an issue with notifying pharmacies, because I know for a fact that I could figure out a way around that. I'd have just gone to an on-line pharmacy, or another state, or told the pharmacist "Oh that's a mistake." I can't rely on that type of thing, a flag on a record just wouldn't be a big obstacle for me. I'm pretty determined when I'm in active addiction. But that's just me. Maybe some addicts are more able to be stopped when in using mode.

Love,
KJ
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

kj...I agree. No one was as big of a conartist as I was. During active addiction, I could've sold water to a well!!!

Penny
Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
I could've sold water to a well!!!
I dunno if that's distinctively North Carolinian or what, but I like it!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Why of course it is Bear!!! Ya'll come back now, ya hear!!! LOL
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

just a question

My step mom has decided to have me red flagged and I was just wondering if that was possible? I have multiple sclerosis and the pain is bad as well as the anxiety
. I do have a history of drug abuse but this situation is a whole mother animal....and it bites. Any help would be appreciated. And if I have done this thread improperly I apologize it is my first tome
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There are pain and anxiety medications that are not addictive. If you have a problem that is the way to go. I would think her having you red flagged would be a Hippa violation, but am not sure. I also think it depends on your age and if you have given consent for her to intervene in that way for you.

I urge you to take charge of MS in a way that is healthy for you and does not take you down the road to addiction.

As far as a torn meniscus, my friend just had this surgery. She is extremely allergic to pain meds and breaks out in severe hives. She has gotten all the way through with nothing but OTC pain meds and Mobic which is non habit forming.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

min706 - Welcome to SR!

This thread is actually a few years old, but it's okay. I'm not really sure about how someone else flags a person's pharmacy records without legal right to do so.

Usually, a pharmacy will verify a prescription with the dr. If a person has multiple prescriptions/multiple providers, this is going to raise a red flag and with stricter drug regulations, and I get that.

I hope you read around this site. There are MANY, here, who are dealing with chronic pain/health issues and in recovery. I also suggest you talk to your doctor. As I said, laws have changed (if you're in the U.S.) and doctors and pharmacies are much more cautious.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy