Notices

tylenol PM

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tylenol PM

does anyone think tylenol PM is addictive? any experiences with it, or know of?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,
I think anything that we might depend on to fall asleep would be addicting, i have often wondered that myself. If you were to take it only once in a while, if you have been tossing and turning i dont think it would become an issue. Just my opinion
Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have chronic insomnia...I always have...since childhood. My addiction doctor gave me Trazadone, but it doesn't help that much, so I take OTC sleep meds when I need to.
While in rehab, they gave out Tylonel PM, so it can't be all that bad.

Penny
Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. Even if it's not physically addictive, the psychological part of falling asleep probably would be eventually. If you get into a pattern of taking it every night and it works well, I'm not really sure what the health risk would be. Probably liver damage, like most OTC pain medicine.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tylenol PM is just tylenol plus benadryl. You might just want to take a benadryl and give your liver a break because I THINK Tylenol is hard on the liver - at least that's what my AH used to say. ???
Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, I agree with Magoo. Just get an otc sleep med that is just for sleep, not for pain relief, such as Unisom or Sominex...the Unisom works better for me than anything else I've tried.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by MrsMagoo View Post
Tylenol PM is just tylenol plus benadryl. You might just want to take a benadryl and give your liver a break because I THINK Tylenol is hard on the liver - at least that's what my AH used to say. ???
Yup. I abused benadryl (diphenhydramine) for a while. Do a search on here for benadryl and you'll find a bunch of threads about folks struggling with benadryl (the sleep ingredient in tylenol PM).
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's landed me in the hospital on more than one occassion. The worse was with Tylenol pm.
But even with Benadryl and Unisom, taking too many of those raises your liver enzyme, and makes you delirious.

I wa taken to the hospital actually, because I was making no sense, and I don't remember an of those episodes. The tylenol pm one was the worst because I took so many they thought I'd have liveer or kidney damage.

They are addictive, and if u really want to mess around, u'll experience the diphenhydramine high, and that's very unpleasant (though I've done it too many times).

Most people won't reach that level though. Trust me, u don't want that high, so don't think about taking anymore than 150 mg per day of diphenhydramine just to be safe.

But it's also annnoying relying on this stuff too. It starts off as needing help sleeping, then u take them duringthe day to keep you calm, then you're just taking too much altogether.

I would suggest a Benzo honestly. I find them safer.

But try neither.

Last edited by Cleansing; 07-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.