Notices

Doctor Shopping- whats the penalty?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

I have no idea about her research or anything just that she said she couldnt find anything (?). I just figured some of you might know or been through it. I only ever received a few prescriptions here and there while using and always bought my pills from friends so I have no idea about any of this.
Thanks everyone for the info. Im going to print the responses for her.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Here's something else....My husband's cousin, who lives in Georgia, was taking narcotic pain meds for a back injury and yes, was addicted. Well, he was driving along in his truck one day and got pulled over by a cop. His pain pill bottle was in plain view and the cops asked him if he'd been drinking. He said no, told them he was coming home from work. The cop seen the bottle, asked about the script. He looked at the date the meds were prescribed and then counted the pills. The amount in the bottle didn't add up to the date. He'd taken more than was prescribed. He was arrested for DWI and his doctor was contacted.

Penny
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, I feel really lucky that my pharmacy didn't flag me. I didn't doctor shop, but I got my oral surgeon and my dentist to refill Hydrocodone for at least 8 seperate prescriptions within a short period of time all from the same pharmacy. Maybe they don't take that as seriously or just didn't realize. I know that some of the pharmacists were starting to look at me suspiciously when I was in there every other day...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by CubsND View Post
I didn't doctor shop
Unless you went to two different docs for the same issue when one didn't know the other was already writing narc scripts. But it sounds as though you did:

Originally Posted by CubsND View Post
I got my oral surgeon and my dentist to refill Hydrocodone for at least 8 seperate prescriptions

That is doctor shopping.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

FIFTEEN YEARS probation?? What the HELL is wrong with the US?????
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by Timebuster View Post
My addict awareness antenna is shot.

Scratching my head here.

Something not right about this thread???

Or its just me?

Scratching head again.

Never mind….
Thank you so much for typing what I was thinking.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Im sorry but this is giving me the impression that some of you may be thinking that I am considering doing this. Not that I should have to justify myself here but Just to clear this up- I am NOT doctor shopping nor am i thinking about it. Besides it would be pretty hard for someone as pregnant as I am to get THAT many scripts of medicine.
Addicts know other addicts and I know one who may be in big trouble and thats why i asked the question. If someone wants to know if I am asking about myself then just say it.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amen
Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

No I totally agree. She and I have been friends a long time. We sorta went down hill together and were friends long before ever touching a pain pill. Im pretty sure she is trying to figure this out on her own as well, but obviously this site is a good resource so I thought I would check out what some of you had to say. I have to say I sort of feel like I am being attacked and dont totally understand why.
Anyway she is looking into detox facilities and she does want help. I printed some of the posts on here for her and had a good talk with her about everything. Hopefully this is her "rock bottom". We shall see.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

any info on laws in Tn.

Hi, I recently went to the Dr. and was told I could no longer see them...they said and had paperwork showing the different times I had filled scripts for pain meds...I later found out that week that a police investigation was being done....My primary Dr. I've been going to for 5 yrs, and my bone Dr. about 5 yrs as well....I had no clue that getting prescriptions from different doctors was a crime...My health ins. had ran out as of May 10 this year...since then,
I would call and or price the cost to fill my prescriptions...Im not sure if a pharmacy prompted the investigation, or my doctor...do you think I need to contact a lawyer....and also does anyone know if Tn. has a pti program for first time offenders....that is what I would be...never had a problem, ever with
the law, no dui's nothing....Im a nervous wreck and just found all this out less than 2 weeks ago !!!! any advice would be great....
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sisley

I live in Australia so I'm no help - but I think contacting a lawyer is always the best idea for legal advice, no matter what other advice you may get here.

D
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think the best possible thing your friend could do is seek help for her problem. If it did come down to her getting in trouble with law enforcement (which I doubt will happen), I believe they would look at her action to help herself as a positive and work with her if this is her first run-in with law enforcement.

It's still so fresh in my mind....the utter NEED to get meds any way I could and my disease not caring if it meant breaking the law.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Busted doctor shopping...how likely that DEA will step in?

I'm new here, and this question might have been asked before but every situation is different...I've been addicted to pain meds since 2006. I finally sought treatment in March 2010 and was put on Suboxone, which allowed me to FINALLY break my physical addiction. I had "doctor shopped" from 2006 until 2010, using my gastro issues and throat issues as excuses, and used my insurance. I never got confronted by an dr, pharmacist or my ins co. Unfortunately I immediately relapsed after weaning myself off Suboxone October of last year and I relapsed HARD. Apparently I saw 10 doctors in less than 30 days at one point and I was constantly in dr offices from October until the very beginning of March this year. I abuse because my anxiety gets so overwhelming that I become completely consumed by it and literally shut down - taking the pain meds gave me that euphoric feeling that allowed me to float through any stressful situation and handle it with ease - I've never been able to do that sober. By the end of February doctors were starting to inform me that my insurance company had contacted them about all the other doctors I'd been seeing and they had been told to no longer issue me narcotic meds. Pharmacies followed thereafter - refusing to fill my scripts. I went back to my Suboxone treatment facility, been sober 2 months now, but was just informed by my addiction counselor that the DEA are very likely to conduct and investigation and there is the possibility I might go to jail. I am DEVASTATED. I didn't know if ANYONE out there knew at what point the DEA does step in, how they conduct their investigation or any useful information...I am a good person who unfortunately is an addict, but I am also a mother, a wife, a daughter, a granddaughter...I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions, I am ashamed, but I am TERRIFIED of losing everything....PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
FT

Hey cotes, check out your other thread. I just posted there.