Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Is Oxycod (percocet) really that strong of a drug?

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just curious, I have been in the hostial for a couple of days, and was dischaged on Oxycod 5-325 (Generic Percocet is what pharmacist told me)

Well I took one at 2am & never did relieve the pain, tried another 7am. And didn't stop the pain enough to fall asleep.

I havent been on any kind of drug/pain pill in 10 yrs at least.
as my body built up some sort of tolerance to pain pills due to my yrs of drinking?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yeah they are that strong. A 5 wouldnt do much for me except put me to hunting more. I'd suggest you stick right by the DOCTORS orders and respect this drug for what it is and what it can become. If you are addictive by nature as I am your playing with fire .
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Be mighty careful. I am a recovering alcoholic who relapsed on oxycodone (percocet) after five years sober.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, they're pretty strong...especially if you take 30, 10mg per day they way I used to.
They are very, very addictive, so be careful.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Yep they are definitely strong. Be careful to follow the dosage instructions.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

i do not think your past alcohol abuse would have any effect on the strength of your pain medication...not a doctor so not entirely sure on that one..

As for the 5mg percocet being strong....its just comes down to your opiod tolerance. I was able to swallow 80mg oxycontins like they were breathmints because of my usage of heroin. Be careful about taking to many of the 5mg percs at a time because they contain a whole bunch of acetaminophen (aspirin) in them.

Best bet is to go to your doctor and see if he can switch the medication and give you a different active opiod (like hydrocodone or oxymorphone etc etc) Hope oyu feel better man ~~ scott
Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Betterme

Just to clarify...acetaminophen is not aspirin...it Tylenol. Percocet=acetaminophen

Percodan=aspirin

Both very addictive
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Betterme

Just to clarify...acetaminophen is not aspirin...it Tylenol. Percocet=acetaminophen

Percodan=aspirin

Both very addictive
errmmm what was your point?? tylenol + aspirin are interchangeable in terms of what effect they have on our organs ^^ gg
and yes, like i said...percocet contains acetaminophen..thank you for repeating what I already said.

Do you make distinctions between a paper copied by a cannon copier as saying "its not a xerox its a cannon copy you made because you didnt use a xerox copy machine!!!" lol priceless
Old 04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

To a "normal person," not someone who, like myself, swallowed handfuls of this stuff, they are pretty potent pain med. Please be careful, especially if you have an addictive personality such as being a Recovering Alcoholic. It is so easy to switch addictions and/or relapse on your DOC after taking some of these.

I don't know what the medical reason was that your Dr. wrote you the Rx for, but obviously he/she thought that the Percocet would do the job. Keep in mind, as an alcoholic/addict, we tend to think that we need to numb all of our pain. Also there are some people, like myself, that are kept awake from opiates. I don't know the chemical make up of these drugs and to be honest, I really don't care. There may be caffeine in them, who knows. I just know that I'm not the norm, I don't get knocked out like many do on opiates.

Just keep in mind that the pain will pass. Hang in there.

Peace,
Judy
Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

EXcuse me? YOU said that that 5mg perc contain a whole lot of acetaminophen (asprin) in them. Betterme is taking 5mg percocets and that who you're responding to, right? When you say 'be careful'?
What I was saying is that percocets don't have asprin in them. acetaminophen is NOT aspirin.
How 'bout reviewing your post and chill out.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Queen...I was the same way. They always gave me energy and kept me awake.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

hmm im very chill, what I wanted to bring to your attention is when i said "be careful because percocet contains acetaminophen" I meant was the damage large amounts of it can do to his stomach and digestive tract.

taking large amounts of tylenol OR aspirin will have the same effect on his body, tearing up his digestive lining and causing stomach-aches etc. So like I said, tylenol + aspirin are interchangeable when using them in this situation. The only thing you pointed out was a reference to brand names.

That is why I gave another analogy to you so that you would be able to comprehend what I was talking about (with the cannon copier + xerox machine and terms used)

I know you dont like me change but.....cmere and gimmie a hug sweetie i still like you!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love ya EX but damn....dude, it's o.k. simple mistake. Betterme is asking about Percocet which contains tylenol. Has nothing to do with aspirin at all.
If anything, aspirin is a hell of a lot safer than taking acetaminophen.
Besides it didn't sound like Betterme is planning on taking mass amounts.

Kisses
Old 04-17-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

did i get some tounge action in there????
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LOL...you know it!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

looooovvvveeeee it, hehehe. i gotta head out to my friday night meeting. talk to ya soon penny, be safe and have a good night girl ~~
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

EX
Have a great meeting! I'm glad we're on 'speaking' terms again! (I forgive you)...LOL

Behave,

Penny
Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, percocettes are very powerful, and very addictive. If they didn't help your pain, I doubt that taking more of them will. It makes no sense to take a larger dose, because they are dangerous. I don't think your resistance to alcohol, can affect the way the percocettes work on you. They are two completely different things, and one has nothing to do with the other. Sure hope you feel better soon. Be careful with the percs. They are hard to get off of once your addicted. It's no fun.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

If you're having pain issues, the best thing to do is to speak with your doctor and be honest about your history. It would be very unlikely that this would be the first time they've encountered this kind of situation. If you've had a serious medical situation to deal with, and it sounds like you do, you might be dealing more with pain reduction to the point of getting more comfortable rather than total pain elimination.

How strong is Percoset?

*Warning: opiate use described in the following paragraphs*

When I was in college, I was very badly burned in a scalding accident involving a boiling cup of tea and my lap. It was really bad; luckily I'm okay now, I have no bad scars and no permanent damage. I did not have a history of addiction at that time. I had never taken pain killers before, and I was suddenly flooded with scripts for Percoset, Vicodin and something that I think was like Codine 3 (not sure on the last one). I was told to take 2 Percoset (or the others) every 4 hours. I followed these instructions for 2 weeks and then gradually reduced the dosage, and I was off the protocol by about 3 1/2 weeks. I wasn't conscious of any withdrawal symptoms.

For the most part, especially in the beginning, they helped to manage the pain, but they didn't make it disappear. I was still attending all of my classes at the time. The pills gave me a feeling I learned to like, and to be frank, the burn situation was depressing enough that I was relieved to have a "boost" from somewhere. Percoset became my "favorite" of the bunch, and it was the one that I was most prescribed. At some point in the first few days, I decided that I liked the feeling they gave me, and I decided to "enjoy" that aspect of it (yet still taking them as they were first prescribed). This is where the story gets serious. Two or three times during those first two weeks, I went into a minute or two of life-like hallucinations during my classes. I wasn't scared and there's no way anyone else knew that I was hallucinating because I was just seated calmly in my chair, but I knew that the Percoset had caused them, and I was so Perc-ed up that I really didn't consider the seriousness of having such hallucinations. There were no other drugs in my system. In my doped up mind, I thought it was nice of the Percosets to do that when I was in so much pain. They certainly had influenced my thinking; I knew I was taking the meds as prescribed, so I wasn't worried. I now find that to be very scary. I don't think that hallucinations from Percoset are common, but others here might have a better idea about this situation.

This is obviously a warning. I wasn't given any warnings about addiction or anything else for that matter when I was prescribed those pills. I had never even heard the names of these drugs before. I now believe that Percoset is a much more serious medication than it appears to be to most people. It is also highly addictive.

In any case, as I wrote earlier, I tapered the dose at around 2 weeks and I stopped taking any of them after about 3 or 3 1/2 weeks when my burns were less severe. However, I had been given an enormous amount of pills, and I wound up with about 200 of them leftover. Being young, naive and stupid, over the next year or two I wound up taking one or two recreationally every now and then and giving many of them away to friends. The last time I took them about a year and a half later, I went in a totally different direction because of the people I was hanging out with, and I wound up taking 13 of them in one night. To me, that's mind blowingly bad. It felt very much like left-field behavior, and I never did it again. In fact, I never sought out, desired or took another pain killer in pill form again.

However, in my story, after four or five years, I was introduced to smoking heroin. I had tried a number of drugs in the past at a "recreational" and infrequent level, but (barring a year or two in which I was frequently smoking marijuana), I hadn't felt that I had a problem with drug addiction. What went very wrong, though, was that I classified heroin as another opiate, which I associated with the "enjoyment" I had experienced with the Percoset situation in the past. I consciously linked heroin to pill form opiates, most specifically Percoset, and it helped the part of my drug-interested mind to excuse my move into smoking heroin abuse. For me, Percoset was very much like a gateway drug. In time, I developed a serious addiction to smoking heroin, and it took a long time and a serious battle to stop.

Percoset and other pain killers have earned their place in the medical world for being significant and even necessary aids in pain management.

However, as a warning to anyone who needs to take them, especially if any kind of penchant for addiction is involved, please be very, very careful, and do treat this medication as a serious one.

BetterMe, I sincerely hope you get well soon, and I wish you the best in your healing.

:praying
Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
To a "normal person," not someone who, like myself, swallowed handfuls of this stuff, they are pretty potent pain med.
I fully agree with this. When I had my twins (c-section) they rx'd 2 percocet a few times/day. I knew I couldn't take that much so I started out breaking 1 into thirds. That is ALL that I could take without it wiping me out. I was still in a little bit of pain (though not much), but anything more than 1/3 of a pill made me a zombie. Thankfully my loving AH helped me get rid of the nasty pills.