Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Is Oxycod (percocet) really that strong of a drug?

Notices

Is Oxycod (percocet) really that strong of a drug?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile hey guys

Is there anyone who can share oxycodone withdrawal experience. I'm having a hard time w/the forums on my blackberry so pls feel free to email.
I am quitting oxycodone and would just like to hear some things to expect. I have an appt w/my dr and I know everyone is different. I felt completely alone and then I found this website. Thanks for any advice shared.

Last edited by cece1960; 04-28-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: removed personal email
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Actually, acetominophen and aspirin damage your body in very different ways. Tylenol damages your liver more than aspirin, but aspirin is harder on your stomach. Aspirin thins out your blood, but not so much with tylenol. So it depends which organ you want to protect, heart (aspirin in small doses can actually benefit heart patients), liver (avoid tylenol if you have liver problems, especially in big doses) or stomach (aspirin can be hard on your stomach, so if you have an ulcer or frequent heartburn, you might want to stick with tylenol)

Of course it must be said that I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so check with your doctor for your personal best choice in pain management!

And yes, Oxycodone is very addictive for some of us, and can ruin your life. It was called "hillbilly heroin" in the news.

Love,
KJ
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic, I can tell you I rediscovered the joys-sarcasm here-of prescription drug abuse, thanks to my wife's almost endless supply of pain meds. she had left a bottle of 70 vicodin laying around-misplaced-I discovered that if you took 5 at once you could get the same effect as smack, including the quick, painless barf.

Serious meds here, do not abuse. Get off them long before the supply runs out.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sure Kelly. Welcome to the boards

And ... naw, when it comes to opioid w/d's, it effect 'everyone' in a very very similar way. What varies mostly is how bad the symptoms are, and how long they last. But they are close to universal, assuming you've been on the stuff long enough, and have done enough of it over that time. These include:

1) Complete insomnia, often along with a fair amount of trashing about in the bed (they don't call it 'kicking' by accident),
2) What I fondly call 'the bowels of hell',
3) A lot of excess (but completely annoying and useless) 'energy' ... you feel like you NEED to be doing something, but ... you don't feel like doing anything, and it's very hard to relax. You'll be up/down all day and night for a few days.
4) Sneezing and watery eyes (and crying at the drop of a hat),
5) Low grade fever, chills, goosebumps, cold sweats, and all around inability to regulate body temperature,
6) Fairly intense cravings for the drug, even at times on verging on panic. There will likely be times that your brain seems to be telling you that if you don't get some of the drug, you just might die. But you won't. It's a trick ...
7) A LOT of aches and pains, esp. in the back region,
8) Emotionally, you feel kinda like you do when you get back from putting a beloved pet to sleep at the vet,
9) Anorexia, i.e. you won't want to eat ... but you need to make yourself anyway,
10) Vomiting is not entirely uncommon, but is usually reserved for people going cold turkey from real serious habits (like, I dunno 40 pills/day-ish). All in all, though, as I said in #2, your digestive system does NOT feel good.

Basically, it's much like a real bad flu, but it lasts a bit longer, and the effect of the over-production of adrenaline that comes from suddenly w/d'ing a sedative-type drug that your brain is habituated to will make you much more aware of how miserable you are than is normal with the flu. You will want to just lay down and feel sick, but your brain won't let you do all that much relaxing.

If you're going to see a doc, hopefully he can give you some comfort meds (non-narcotic) to make the experience a might less painful. My doc gave me clonidine (blood pressure med, oddly enough, really helps with the 'kicking' part), neurontin (a nerve-pain blocker), and ambien to sleep. I used these as exactly as prescribed, and had no trouble stopping them when they ran out.

Some folks around here will advise against strong sleep meds, and I understand their POV, but I'm just sharing my experience ... For sure if you've had problems with benzo abuse at some time in life, it'd be good to avoid ambien or xanax or any of those class of sleep aids. I hadn't, so I was fine.

It's also good to have advil or naproxen around, along with immodium ad to help with the runs, and lots of some kind of fluid that you really like to drink (hopefully something that's not too unhealthy). Having a few Ensure beverages around is not a bad idea.

Anyways, that's roughly what you have to look forward to. Lasts usually 3-7 days, depending on how long/how much you've been on. So ... you'll wanna clear your calendar ... the experience makes it extremely hard to function normally ... some people manage to do so, but it's ... uncommon

Last edited by CarolD; 05-12-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Edited out quote that was also edited
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

These pills, if used too long, even perscribed will make you debelop a dependency, be very careful not to get to like the buzz you get too much, once that happens, you are playing with the devil himself.....trust me, I know, i had to go to detox after 6 months of use just to stop them and i got dope sick from them.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
errmmm what was your point?? tylenol + aspirin are interchangeable in terms of what effect they have on our organs ^^ gg
and yes, like i said...percocet contains acetaminophen..thank you for repeating what I already said.

Do you make distinctions between a paper copied by a cannon copier as saying "its not a xerox its a cannon copy you made because you didnt use a xerox copy machine!!!" lol priceless
errrmmm...actually tylenol and asprin are not interchangeable in terms of effects, they are two completely different compounds. Thats like saying swallowing sulfuric acid and tylenol are interchangeable, they both can damage your stomach, liver, and digestive tract. How do you like THAT analogy? :p
Old 05-10-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Betterme

Just to clarify...acetaminophen is not aspirin...it Tylenol. Percocet=acetaminophen

Percodan=aspirin

Both very addictive
Wait !! Tylenol and Aspirin are addictive !! DANG
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yeah oxycodone is pretty strong and if two of them aren't taking your pain away you should talk to your doctor because you either have a natural drug resistance or your pain is being undertreated.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by Tryin2Recover View Post
errrmmm...actually tylenol and asprin are not interchangeable in terms of effects, they are two completely different compounds. Thats like saying swallowing sulfuric acid and tylenol are interchangeable, they both can damage your stomach, liver, and digestive tract. How do you like THAT analogy? :p

actually in terms of the effects the two chemicals have on your internal organs they are interchangeable[do some research]. Your analogy didnt even make sense, comparing tylenol + aspirin to acid + aspirin? Somebody must have gotten a 400 on their english SATs

dont even know why i bothered to respond to this as me and penny are friends now but this response from this guy was laughable.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

What is laughable is that someone would try to cover up their own misunderstanding of two COMPLETELY different substances by saying they can have similar effects on organs. The effects are nowhere near the same, and hardly interchangeable from a medical standpoint, and trust me I have done my research to the tune of several years in college and the healthcare/pharm industry combined. Case in point, Reye's syndrome, which is commonly triggered by asprin, does not commonly result from tylenol. Tylenol generally has much higher adverse effect towards liver toxicity, while asprin has greater adversity relating to stomach and gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers. Asprin is a NSAID, tylenol is not. Asprin has mild anti-coagulant effects, (hence why low doses are said to prevent heart disease), tylenol does not. The list of differences on how these can effect the organs goes on and on. But of course you already knew all this since you obviously have a phd in pharmacokinetics :rotfxko
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Boys, boys, play nice! Now come over this way so I can give each of you hugs and tell you why you shouldn't take any of those stupid pills.

Sing it with me now:

Well, there's holes in ya belly, scars in ya liver,
Reye's Syndrome and a crazy blood thinner...

:ghug
Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Tyelnol : Pain reliever. Specifically works to lower fever and helps with headaches however it is not an anti inflammatory(which is irrelevant in this case)

Aspirin : Pain reliever. Used to treat headaches, aches and pains and is an anti-inflammatory.

The only slight difference between these two is the fact that aspirin is digested a little harsher in ths system and can cause an upset stomach[the liver toxicity levels you were speaking of]. However, this is a minor side effect and usually not dangerous or fatal to the person using the drug. Also cannot be taken by hemophiliacs (something i doubt the OP has to worry about as well)

And as for reyes syndrome ?? last I checked this was something that effected young children and a very small % at that. Lets see, heres some good stats for you, from 1991 to 1994 the annual rate of hospitlizations for reyes syndrome was between 0.2 - 1.1 % in all of the united states. Did you also know you could get food poisoning from eating meat that is undercooked? Actually, you probably have a better chance of getting food poisoning from a rare steak than a child does getting diagnosed with reye's syndrome from taking aspirin. better not order any steaks medium rare from now on tryin to recover!!!!

I was kinda hoping for another brilliant analogy like tylenol to aspirin is like sulfric acid to tylenol. I hope you dont let me down with your reply
Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

V-E-R-Y strong