Notices

Manifestation of liver damage

Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Manifestation of liver damage

As a long time user and former abuser of medicines containing acetaminophen, I am wondering what the symptoms of liver damage are. About a month ago I had a liver test done and it came back great. Does that mean that I am no longer in danger of liver problems from past use/abuse?

I know you all are not doctors or can see the future, but maybe you know of someone who had later complications from former drug
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just considered myself very fortunate not to have liver problems and used the information that I received in rehab to help fuel my sobriety.

I don't know specific details, other than I could have really damaged my liver and didn't.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 199 days clean. When I got to rehab, my liver was enlarged and was causing me pain. They did a liver function test and my liver enzymes were through the roof. Nowadays, I take motrin (ibuprofen) for pain and stay away from Tylonel.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love your signature! (the country song one) LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Captainzing2000 is a member here. His posts are wonderful. I can't take responsibility for that one.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend

Hey Klopper - as you stated, we’re not drs- but I know liver damage has always been a huge fear associated w/my drug abuse. I’d go as far as to assume this is the same for many others here. In addition to the acetaminophen containing opiates I abused for years, I get awful migraines. Ironically, the only thing that truly works for them is excedrin! I’ve popped this stuff like candy in the past. I was terrified going in for opiate abuse treatment they’d tell me my liver was completely shot. Luckily, my enzymes were not elevated and things looked okay, but considering I do still ‘over use’ over-the-counter tylenol products, it’s a constant concern. Anytime I have an ache or pain in the area, I swear I can feel my liver shutting down. Needless to say, I’m a hypochondriac, but cause for concern is warranted because I’m continuing the dumb habit! Blah! However, the human body is very resilient. If you’ve had a liver enzyme test which came back with good results, I think you can count on those results to be accurate - as long as you do not continue the same toxic behavior. I doubt there would be a ‘delayed’ result from past drug use that would show up later on. I suppose there’s always a chance the test missed something, but I bet if the results were good, you’re fine. Considerate it a gift! If you are still concerned though, why not ask your dr about it?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 199 days clean. When I got to rehab, my liver was enlarged and was causing me pain. They did a liver function test and my liver enzymes were through the roof. Nowadays, I take motrin (ibuprofen) for pain and stay away from Tylonel.

I hope everything stays ok for your liver.