Notices

Using Marijuana instead of drinking.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using Marijuana instead of drinking.

Since I got de-toxed from alcohol I have been smoking loads of weed.

I know this is replacing one thing with another but it aint ******* my liver up no more.

What do people think it is a good idea too carry on smoking weed? When I was drinking I was heavily smoking all the time to.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't think it is such a great idea.
Now, I am one of the few that does not have anything against mj. Truly. But for me (I was also a pothead) it took me getting COMPLETELY clean and sober to gain the clarity I have today.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

When I had my first stretch without booze, I went on the "marijuana maintenance" program. Later on, I used other substances, but I always used a substance until I made the decision to stop.

In my experience, I could not start working on the problem (why I needed to use something) until I first became willing to let go of the symptoms. In other words, so long as I wasn't willing to stop getting high, I couldn't stop getting high, and the consequences just kept coming.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoy waking up sober its great

Theres just seems too be a massive void left from the no drinking no more.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Have you tried working on your cosmic consciousness? That filled it nicely for me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Have you tried working on your cosmic consciousness? That filled it nicely for me.
Whats cosmic consciousness???
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Personally I've used up my right to chemical peace of mind.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by Trippstar View Post
Whats cosmic consciousness???
Spirituality. Have you tried meetings? I tried everything else first. The steps finally led me out of the forest and into the Light on the other side.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah Ive been to 2 AA meetings before and I am in rehab at the minute out patient.

Do group therapy there. Got like nearly 2 more months of that.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah I have been to 2 AA mettings and I am in rehab at the minute.

Which is gonna last 2 more months.

Sorry for double post xD
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Err... if it's not your liver, you're going to your brain dude (or dudette, lol)... you can't get a transplant for that <_<

If you use MJ long enough it contributes to psychosis which basically means you go crazy I don't think you want that...
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have to assume that you were drinking heavy and smoking weed heavy , not just for the buzz.
The reason I'm assuming this, is because 99 % of the addicts I see in recovery, used to help cope with life.

Quitting booze ( if it's causing problems) is great but the problem in dealing with -life on life's terms- with pot, is that nothing gets dealt with.

I think you would agree that trying to deal with life like you were didnt work, and that's why you turned to booze and pot.

A new way of dealing with life's ups and downs, has to be put in place.
In other words you need a substitute for dope 'n' booze.
For me, that substitute is God, NA/AA.

I have found that, day by day, the 12 steps and meetings expose my "reasons" to use and give me a "re-charge" till the next meeting.

Life is clearer, I sleep better, I'm getting on with life, I'm happier and I get a chance to help other's, which by defalt, helps me too.

..Joe
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My 31 year old AD has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease now (usually seen in older people) from smoking pot on a daily basis for several years. She basically lives with an inhaler in hand. Now there's a benefit!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Politics aside, in my opinion only, it's okay for people who don't have an addiction to alcohol to drink a little wine or beer now and then, but it's a very bad idea for addicts. For a non-addict, as long as it's not crossing the line into placing a person's life into unhealthy changes, I don't have a big empirical problem with either alcohol or marijuana. But if you're conscious of the fact that you have a problem when it comes to alcohol, you believe that you may have transferred your addiction into smoking marijuana, and you're worried about it enough to go searching for help and info, most likely it's because there is indeed a problem. Liver and lungs aside. My last thought is that at some level it might be theoretically possible for someone who needs a temporary crutch or bridge to distance themselves enough from their original problem (I did that from my former DOC by self-dosing methadone--not recommended even if I got clean that way; still, there are other substitution therapies that save many addicts who cannot be allowed to relapse), but it would likely take a small miracle, the right person, the right time, the right everything for that to happen, the person doing it would have to be completely aware of the risks involved, and, yes, there would be risks involved. If there's no professional, no one with experience and no programmatic, systematic change in thinking, breaking any addiction (or habit that matter) can be very hard to do. Sheesh, it's hard anyway.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there is a 12 step program called Marijuana Anonymous. They put out some questions and literature that you might consider reading. Here are a few excerpts from sources put out by Marijuana Anonymous World Services that might help you to answer some things for yourself.

12 Questions

1. Has smoking pot stopped being fun?
2. Do you ever get high alone?
3. Is it hard for you to imagine a life without marijuana?
4. Do you find that your friends are determined by your marijuana use?
5. Do you smoke marijuana to avoid dealing with your problems?
6. Do you smoke pot to cope with your feelings?
7. Does your marijuana use let you live in a privately defined world?
8. Have you ever failed to keep promises you made about cutting down or controlling your dope smoking?
9. Has your use of marijuana caused problems with memory, concentration, or motivation?
10. When your stash is nearly empty, do you feel anxious or worried about how to get more?
11. Do you plan your life around your marijuana use?
12. Have friends or relatives ever complained that your pot smoking is damaging your relationship with them?

Q: Why do I need MA to quit using marijuana?

A: Maybe you don't. “Marijuana Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share our experience, strength, and hope with each other that we may solve our common problem and help others to recover from marijuana addiction.” If you haven't crossed over the line from using to abusing to addiction, you can probably quit using it any time you'd like. Marijuana Anonymous is for those of us who crossed over that line into addiction and for whom “just saying no” is no longer an option. We need more than just will power to refrain from using. We need the help of other addicts who understand our problem. If you are an addict we are here to help you.

Q: How can there be marijuana addicts if marijuana is not addicting?

A: “We who are marijuana addicts know the answer to this question. Marijuana controls our lives! We lose interest in all else; our dreams go up in smoke. Ours is a progressive illness often leading us to addictions to other drugs, including alcohol. Our lives, our thinking, and our desires center around marijuana—scoring it, dealing it, and finding ways to stay high” (Life With Hope, p. xi).

Based on our own experiences, we who seek recovery in MA generally consider ourselves to be marijuana addicts. Whether or not our addiction is psychological, physical, or both, matters little. When it comes to the use of marijuana, we have lost the power of choice. It is strictly up to the individual to decide whether he or she feels addicted to marijuana. MA has no opinion about marijuana itself one way or another. Marijuana Anonymous exists solely to provide a means of recovery to the suffering addict who seeks help.

I imagine that there are also people at AA and NA who have tried the "trick" you've talked about, who could also share their thoughts and experiences with you. Needless to say, I imagine that most people who have abused it and stopped might often be in a better place than someone who hasn't.

Last edited by SteppingItUp; 04-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lately, It seems whatever I say stirs up controversy, but here goes.No Medical test that I know of has ever established that Marijuana is harmful.Other than smoking is smoking, but most pot smokers don't smoke 20 joints a day. Its not good to substitute one addiction for the other, but as far as which is more damaging ? No contest drinking is worse hands down and cigarettes are worse than pot also , but many "clean and sober"people chain smoke. Don't get carried away ! When you feel better try sustained periods without smoking pot see if you can do it. Don't blow your whole paycheck on weed. I know many very successful productive people who use and don't abuse pot. Be honest with your self is it a treat a habit a problem ? Congratulations on quitting booze, your life will be better without it.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

MJ ruined my life every bit as much as booze did...like I always say...same sea of crap, different boat.

You're kicking the booze and that's great - that's one link of that damned chain gone - so why be attached to another?

Go for broke TS
D
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Trippstar,

After quitting alcohol you’re not tired yet?

Ivan
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know most people are going to say pot is bad, but (in my opinion only) in times I've had to go without drugs, it's helped me immensely. It all depends on how you react to it, and how you use it. Pot can be addictive, and it can make you depressed and paranoid, etc. BUT Pot can also relax you and help you get through a craving, and it can help you sleep, and help you eat, etc. I don't think pot is inherently bad. I think that everyone reacts to pot differently, and that though it can be harmful, it can also do wonders.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I ain't got a problem with the reefer. I can't smoke it cuz it makes me stupider and paranoid.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

day three prayer is sooooo refreshing...i was so tempted to smoke marijuana but I pull out my bible last night and prayed and it helped a lot....i am on day 3 of no drinking or smoking marijuana.....ive learned I cant just stop one thing I have to stop EVERYTHING...the devil is always lurking on those who are trying to stop...he put so many obstacles in the way to prevent you from bettering yourself with god..i thank god for my inner strength that i didnt know I had...