Notices

Using Marijuana instead of drinking.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Ex

You should just stop. Cause what you're saying makes no sense. Let's say she's drinking to help with w/d's. Are you gonna advocate that? Hell, that's even legal, right?
You know what, withdrawing from opiates/heroin isn't easy and it shouldn't be. Drug addiction doesn't equal mental retardation...I mean, I knew that I was an addict and I knew that I needed help, so I went to rehab. How 'bout making that suggestion to 'marvelgirl'...how 'bout suggesting going to some meetings and getting a sponsor...Now there's a thought.
And yeah, I went to some back allys and in bad neighborhoods, could've gotten arrested many times...white girl, red sports car...I stuck out like a sore thumb. Thank God I made the decision to go get help and no one said, "Hey smoke a joint, it'll keep you from w/d or it will keep you from wanting to smoke/snort coke" cause, I know for a fact I would have relapsed by now, or worse yet, I'd probably be dead right now!
No, as really F'ed as I was, I alone made the decision to go get help. I could've kept doing what I was and avoid being 'dope sick', but I'd done that for more than 10 years and MY way wasn't working anymore, instead my way was surely gonna put me into an early grave!

c4p
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Exactly my point!!!!!!!!!!! nobody is going to fall over dead from smoking a joint!!!!!
When I take any drug, I give my will over to a power greater than myself. I did read your posts, still doesn't add up to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

sometimes i think this is a worse topic to argue over than which religion one should chose. Penny i am glad YOUR experience was that you could not use any other substance during withdrawal. I applaud your ability to recognize this fact and abstain from trying it. but like i said before (which you either chose to ignore or just not read at all) we are not all carbon copies of you. Some people actually can benefit from teh assistance of other drug use during the brief period of acute withdrawal. I am sorry you cannot see this, i do wish you well in your recovery though and congradulate you on your 200+ days clean. Maybe one day you will become more open-minded and less hostile//judgemental

btw i totally agree with you navysteve, i like you, cannot put any substance (legal or not) into my system and expect to control it.

However, not all people are like the two of us when it comes to putting substances in their body. We must remain open-minded and humble. That is the foundation, along with honesty, in our recovery.

Last edited by ex D-Boy; 04-15-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It really comes down to the *physical* danger of whatever drug you're using, not whether you're sober or not. Isn't that the point of sobriety in the first place-to become more healthy, not to challenge yourself to see how long you can go with no mind altering substance in your system. So what if you're not sober on pot? How much damage is it actually causing you? Probably way less than drinking or taking pain pills...or even that daily Tylenol.

There is real physical danger from opiates and alcohol and benzos, whereas there isn't much or none from pot. And people with lung problems can injest it orally with no adverse health effects at all.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
It really comes down to the *physical* danger of whatever drug you're using, not whether you're sober or not. Isn't that the point of sobriety in the first place-to become more healthy, not to challenge yourself to see how long you can go with no mind altering substance in your system.
I certainly hope you're not speaking on behalf of me and my sobriety.

Nevermind, it's not even worth commenting on any further!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
Maybe one day you will become more open-minded and less hostile//judgemental

btw i totally agree with you nastysteve, i like you, cannot put any substance (legal or not) into my system and expect to control it.

We must remain open-minded and humble. That is the foundation, along with honesty, in our recovery.
Is calling her "hostile//judgemental" and saying she is not open-minded your personal definition of being humble and open-minded yourself? How about calling my good friend Navysteve "Nastysteve." Is that you being humble and open-minded? I don't remember anyone name-calling on here in a while. That's a new low.

KJ
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

actually that was a typo lol. fixing it now

btw , on a personal note, youve known me and seen my posts on this board a LONG time kj, and ive never resulted to name calling or such :\
Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
I believe the key to breaking addiction, recreational drug use is information. Then again , a well informed person has the ability to break any bad habit// addiction or solve any problem.
This is a prime example of faulty logic. Information is but one of the keys required to "break an addiction." Some others include recognizing you have a problem, finding support, stopping contact with triggers, etc..etc..etc. If information was the key, there wouldn't be any alcoholic or drug addict doctors. And we all know that is not the case, don't we?

No, personally, I think you are well-intentioned, although a stubborn young man. You will insist on learning everything by trying it, I've observed. I think you would do well to share your experience rather than your theory with others. You tried tapering, for example, some months ago, and it didn't work. Abstinence was the key for you, I think I remember. Was it not? Was that someone else?
KJ
Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Ex
Actually I was saying that by using the gambling analogy in comparison to a heroin addict smoking weed to detox is STUPID.

c4p
Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

but yes kj, if you read my posts you will see me just presenting several different options as well as opinons (clearly stating that switching or using other drugs DID NOT work for me) . Also acknowledging the possible negatives from this girl using marijuana as well as possible benefits that could happen.'

If that isnt openmindedness and humility than i have nooo idea what is ;\

Then take a look at pennys posts full of bashing and belittlement, you can almost tell how angry she is just by the way she is typing and her little "you got owned " "bullsh1t" comments etc.. that is a hard feat to accomplish online she really needs to concentrate and work on her program because she doesnt seem to be using the basic principles in NA / AA
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
This is a prime example of faulty logic. Information is but one of the keys required to "break an addiction." Some others include recognizing you have a problem, finding support, stopping contact with triggers, etc..etc..etc. If information was the key, there wouldn't be any alcoholic or drug addict doctors. And we all know that is not the case, don't we?

No, personally, I think you are well-intentioned, although a stubborn young man. You will insist on learning everything by trying it, I've observed. I think you would do well to share your experience rather than your theory with others. You tried tapering, for example, some months ago, and it didn't work. Abstinence was the key for you, I think I remember. Was it not? Was that someone else?
KJ
if indeed the girl even has an addiction problem as opposed to a physical dependence (there is a big difference) Everybody just keeps rehashing the same points in different fashions, *myself included* does anybody else realize this but me?

this conversation is getting nowhere, peace all be well ~~
Old 04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

For me, the book on -what's ok and what's not ok- for the addict can be summed up for me, like this.

I ask myself " Am I pointed in the right direction? "
Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Anyway.. back to the thread. Shunning an alcoholic/addict because he's smoking pot is like preventing the distribution of condoms because you don't believe in pre-marital sex. People will still have sex. Reasonable people work with others and adopt a harm reduction approach. If someone is going to have to use drugs, better it be pot than heroin, right?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

EX
You gotta be kidding me! lol! I'm not the one who's on a SR forum talkin out of both side of my mouth. On one hand you say that you couldn't use anything without abusing it, but on the other hand, you tell a heroin addict to smoke weed!
You are here on a SR forum advocating the use of marijuana! (tell the truth...are u high?)

OOOH ! She called me a name! Grow up!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
EX
You gotta be kidding me! lol! I'm not the one who's on a SR forum talkin out of both side of my mouth. On one hand you say that you couldn't use anything without abusing it, but on the other hand, you tell a heroin addict to smoke weed!
You are here on a SR forum advocating the use of marijuana! (tell the truth...are u high?)

OOOH ! She called me a name! Grow up!

you act like your 11 years old....i merely pointed out the pros and cons and possible outcomes of what COULD happen to her with using marijuana during her detox period(something she stated she was already doing)

It wont hurt her for me to share my experience of how it hasnt worked for me and all the possible outcomes that could come about with her smoking weed. like i said earlier knowledge really is power.

I must remember some are sicker than others...dont worry penny i am not angry at you, i realize you are still a sick person.

oh and..no im not high
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Eroica

An addict HAS to use drugs, even if it's weed...if they HAVE to use it, they're an ADDICT.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Eroica

An addict HAS to use drugs, even if it's weed...if they HAVE to use it, they're an ADDICT.
generaliztions, rationalizations...classic signs of an addict even if you are a "dry addict" at this point :P

work your program, concentrate on yourself, and stop taking everybody elses inventory. Keep your side of the street clean, I will pray for you
Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

EX
O.K you're not high...You're a child...Grow up!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Ex
How 'bout stop giving out sh!tty advice that you wouldn't take!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Another reason I quit smoking pot (beyond wanting to become totally sober by any sensible definition) was because I was really no longer enjoying it, in fact I was hating it. But the only way for me to remember how much I hated it yesterday was to smoke it today and in doing so I'd get an almost instant reminder but by then it was too late (again)... I was now loopy~high and had just lost yet another chance to live a truly sober day. And it just went on and on like that for a while after I quit drinking & the other junk I was stuck in; until one day I (finally) just got honest with myself about pot and how I felt about it. I used to think pot wasn't addictive, then I realized that nobody uses a drug for 20+ years without being addicted, lol...