Notices

Warning: I had a seizure on Suboxone!!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Warning: I had a seizure on Suboxone!!

Just an FYI....Sunday I had a seizure...out of the blue...cause not known.
I did start Suboxone in January...and have been taking 16 mg a day. I also am on Effexor 75mg immediate release, 2 a day....and take xanax...as needed for anxiety....I've recently gone from 1mg per day to .5 mg a day....so, there's a little backstory. Low blood sugar can cause seizures also, but I'm not diabetic or hypoglocemic that I'm aware of.

Sunday I went grocery shopping....and felt funny..like I needed water or food or something...I just felt jittery...next thing I know...I wake up in an ambulance!! It took me awhile to even know where I was/what day/year/etc. etc. it was. According to witnesses at Walmart....I collapsed, went into a big seizure, my head was pounding on the floor over and over agaain....I bit my tongue to the point of blood pouring out of my mouth....and this lasted a little over 30 seconds. A nurse helped me...got a pillow/blanket for me..and kept me stable until the paramedics arrived. I was admitted to the hospital. They did CT scan, EEG, MRI, and there were a couple of questionable spots, but nothing concrete....so, they are keeping me on Depakote so I don't have any more seizures....I can't drive a car for 3 months....maybe 6 months..depending on how things go! My face is pretty bruised, but all in all, I am in good shape considering what happened!!!

I have no idea if the combination of suboxone, effexor, xanax, is what caused this or not. The neurologist believes it is a STRONG possibility!!! So, I just want to caution any Suboxone users out there to be VERY careful with your dose and with mixing any medications with it!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

im so sorry, I had one (you probably know) about 17 days ago, mine was from drug abuse.
You have to be careful with the using xanax here and there. It is a very powerful anti seizer med (all benzos are) and when stopped they can bring about seizers. Even small amounts.
Effexor is the other one that raises a flag to me (IMHO ) anti depressents are bad for people who are prone to seizers. You might have been on the border on being one of those people, its hard to say.
Your neuroligist will probaly have more to say on the matter. They're usually pretty good at pin pointing the cause.

Alcohol abuse also, can cause seizers in people who normally dont have seizers.

keep us up to date.. ((kittens)) sorry it happened to you.

love Joe
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Benzos

I just got out of detox for benzos and alhohol. I've (unfortunatly) detoxed a lot from various different drugs; this time the doctor told me that this is the only detox that can actually kill you.

I guess its pretty dangerous, which I ddn't know and I could name more drugs I've done vs. the ones that I havn't.

I was totally abusing them but this is the worst detox feeling I've ever had, I couldn't have even done it without doctor supervision.

Be carefull and I hope your better.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

I'm really sorry to learn that you had a seizure,
and hope that you feel much better today.
You're alive and that's great!

Your post mentioned "Depakote", when I was
in hospital, I was prescribed this too. What is it for
exactly, and what does it do? Withdrawal symptoms?

Take a lot of care of yourself. FYI I am currently
detoxing using Subutex.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

SSRIs can lower the seizure threshold and seizure is listed as a side effect of Effexor. I read that it occurs with 1% of those who take SSRIs. Effexor alone could have caused your seizure.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to my brother not long ago....while mixing some of those same drugs...
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Exclamation

Benzo's and Subuxone is VERY dangerous. You can Google it.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Wow I cant believe that happened to you. Im glad youre alright. I have to ask though, arent seizures more likely because of the benzos? I didnt even know suboxone had the potential to cause seizures. Maybe it was a combonation of everyhting you take...?
The question is whether or not your chances of having another one are increased. I would assume they are. I guess just read your body, when you start feeling like that again tell someone!
I know how scarry seizures are. Both my daughters have febrile seziures (brought on by figh fevers, only in some kids till age 5). Nothing like seeing your 1 year old go into a seizure.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry for you Kittens. I've been on Effexor for 5 years with no problems. I was abusing Oxys for about 2 years. Then tried to detox myself using xanax & suboxone. I would get those similar feelings you described. So scary, and I'm so sorry for you. Glad your alive. One of my old drug buddies was doing the same thing and had a seizure in his car , but survived. They did a scan and could not find any problems, but he did not tell them he was abusing these pills. It scared me so bad I went to a detox at a hospital. I was given fenabarbitol so I would not have seizures. Thanks for sharing your story. I truly hope that you will get to drive again soon. My wife has epilepsy (SP) and She can't even drink. She does take carbitrol. Truly glad you were not driving when it happened. Please take care of yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, the effexor did raise a red flag w/the neurologist...but I've been on it quite awhile...also, the fact I'm cutting back on the xanax...went from 1mg to .5 mg...also adding the suboxone to the mix...it's a crap shoot! So, as of now, I'm still taking effexor, xanax, suboxone, and depakote, but that may change next week when I go see the doctor. I'm just glad to be alive..and pray that I never go through that again! The Depakote is supposed to prevent any further seizure activity from happening. It's a mood stabalizer also...so hopefully I can get off the other stuff and just stay on that and whatever I need to keep me stable. I'm off to shower and try to do some scheduling from home! I won't return to work until next week...but for now, I can work from home...which is nice!!! I can't believe I can't drive for 3-6 months...but it's for the best. I wouldn't want to risk injuring myself or anyone else...having this happen behind the wheel. Too scarey!
Emmer, I wasn't aware you had a seizure. Where were you? How long did it last?? Were you aware of it at all??? For me, I felt a little "funny" like low blood sugar or anxiety....but that was it..no warning..it was lights out after that! Woke up in the ambulance...totally clueless!! If I think about it too much, I start to cry....the loss of control issue is a biggie for me.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yes i had taken too many pills and was trying to cook dinner, all of a sudden I was finding it hard to stand up so i told my wife and she got me to the bedroom.
I woke up with the ambulance attendants asking my questions and i didnt know who was who, or where i was.
Mine lasted about 5 minutes, with blood coming out my mouth too. My tounge was serverly chewed up i had to eat yougart and soup for a few days.

the reason mine happened was no mystery to my doctor.
I've been having to attend meetings everyday (my own choice), to stay sane.

hope your feeling better..

joe
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I was on Xanax & Effexor XR and suffered a seizure. Didn't know what happened but had another in ER room, Depakote is used to stop seizures, I was on that for 2 yrs. Haven't had another since, Thank God.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great work Joe
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friend

Oh no Kittens! I'm so sorry you had to go through that...but grateful you are OK! That’s terrifying!! Isn’t it interesting that we take handfuls of pills in active addiction and the main thing we’re worried about is where we’re going to get the next handful? And this happened while you were under a drs care and taking the medication s/he rx’ed…I could just imagine what might have happened if this occurred while in active addiction….I think I’d lose my 5hiz! At least you’ve been gathering the tools you need to deal during a stressful time like this. That’s so scary though…I take subutex and effexor and have asked my sub dr many times for anti-anxiety meds. Luckily (for my addiction and safety) he has always been adamantly opposed. I’d argue that I’ve taken benzos many times in the past for anxiety and have never over used them or wanted to take more than rx’ed…he tells me it’s not the addiction he’s worried about but the combo. I always feel like he’s blowing smoke up my skirt b/c he sees me as a drug seeking fiend, but he insists it’s due to the co-committal risk. I always thought the biggest interaction factor btw subs & benzos was depressed respiration, and I’m like hello, do you know how much of this junk I’ve had in my body at once before and I’m fine? Then I have to remember that self-medicating was what got me here!

I guess you might not be able to pinpoint the exact reason that you had the seizure, but it sounds like the combo or the reduction of the benzos. Maybe you had a pre-existing risk and the meds (or reduction in meds) lowered your seizure threshold to the point that your body couldn’t fight it off?…hopefully your neuro can find you some answers, b/c I know how frustrating it is not being in control of your body -- or knowing what will happen if you continue to take the meds that are supposed to be helping you get better! Hang tough Kittens, you’re doing awesome and sound really positive considering what you’ve been through!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep, my addictionologist doc did call and said Suboxone doesn't cause seizures....(good news to me!)...but, cutting back on the xanax could have done it...or the combo of the meds. So, hopefully with the Depakote working for me....there will be NO MORE seizures! I can't just STOP any of my medications...because that is even more dangerous!!! So, the plan is to stay on the Depakote, 3 times a day, Effexor 75 mg, twice a day, and xanax .5 mg at bedtime...and Suboxone 8-12 mg a day. I'm really not sure if I'll ever know the exact cause of the seizure...but I will do everything to ensure it doesn't happen again...that's for sure!! I had no idea this combination would/could cause a seizure...it's not something you think about until it happens to YOU! Also, my addictionologist is the one who wrote me the Rx for the Suboxone, Effexor, and Xanax...wouldn't you think he'd have mentioned it, or not have given me that combination???? Oh well, live and learn!!! I'm doing a lot of reading now, that's for sure!! I really am lucky that nothing like this has happened before! All those days I popped mega doses of Norco/Oxycodone, etc. etc. yet I have a seizure 3 months AFTER I quit abusing narcotics??? It's crazy!!! Well, I'ld better go get some lunch and take my 2nd dose of Depakote. Thanks everyone, for your responses, and the PM's. xoxoxo
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

kittens, I had a seizure like you are describing about 22 years ago. I was walking through the mall one minute, the next I was being wheeled out of an ambulance into the ER. I was clueless, just like you, as to what was going on. I can relate to how frightened you were. Luckily someone was very close by who actually put something in my mouth to keep me from biting my tongue. I remember sleeping afterwards for something like 18 hours, I just couldn't stay awake.

I had Cat Scans done, EEG's and I'm not sure if I had an MRI or not. But nothing showed up. I never had another seizure, (except when I was going through withdrawals) so hopefully this is a single incident like I had.

It sounds like your doctors are going to thoroughly investigate the combination of meds along with any other possibilities. And yes, thank God you weren't driving when this happened. That's something none of us want to even think about.

God Bless & Prayers are being said,
Judy
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Suboxone 8-12 mg a day? Its very, very important (actually vital) that people who are seizer prone or for anyone who's had a seizer for any reason, to be consistent in the does of meds they're taking.
Bouncing up and down even with subs is a no, no.

Ask your neuroligist. If I were your addictonologist and I precribed those meds to someone who was not seizer prone, I would be ok with it.

If was your addictonologist (knowing what I know now) I'd put a hault on the 8-12 sub thing and put you on the same daily dose. JMHO

I'm no doctor but I am epileptic and have been for 29 years and I know what triggers seizers.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I first saw the addictionologist, back in January, he had told me to take 1 to 1.5 a day of the Suboxone...but I noticed today when we talked...I asked him if he wanted me to stay with taking 1 to 1.5 pills, he said 1! So, perhaps he wanted me to see if 1 or 1.5 worked best in the beginning, and stick to whatever was best for me.....but now, he says 1, so 1 it is!!! Last time I saw him, he wrote me to take 2 Suboxone a day. The Rx bottle is for 60 pills..and says 2 a day! I'm beginning to lose faith in this doctor...FAST. I have a STRONG feeling that my irregular dose of Suboxone is what may have caused this seizure. I did take 2 Suboxone a day...sometimes more....and sometimes 1.5 a day. ****, I'm starting to think back on it, and I just am not sure how much I took before this happened. I think 2...maybe even 2.5!! Yikes! Well, I took 1.5 yesterday, and 1 today....I think I'm going to stick to 1 of the 8mg a day for awhile....then go down from there. When it's time to go down, it'll be SLOW, and supervised!!! I really do have doubts about my addiction guy now. Well, there is a language thing with he and I .... and he changes his mind like the wind!!! I go see him on the 25th...and I see my neurologist on the 27th...so, hopefully things will be straightened out by then! I think if I stick to 3 Depakote, 2 Effexor, 1 Suboxone, and 1 Xanax, I should be stable. Eventually I will need to get off the Suboxone, Effexor, and Xanax........but today is not that day!!! The whole medication thing is so scarey. It's amazing how we pop pills without any problems...then one day..BAM...it all goes to hell!!! Well, at least I am alive & didn't hurt anyone else...could be a LOT worse!!! I pray this episode was a one shot deal and will never happen again!!! Thanks for the encouraging words! xoxoxo
Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yes, Kittens its real hard to keep track of how much were taking while in addiction.
The temptation to take a bit more because of a crappy day (or whatever), is very tempting.
Please get one of those plastc pill dispensers, and fill them accurately.
Your addictionologist is telling you that the amount is 1 per day and then 2 per day?

Good grief! He/she has to get TST.

Please tell your neuroligist about your abuse of the subs, they have to know everything.
Also we as addicts have to live up to our part too, and take everything as prescribed, and if we see something that is out of whack, like being prescribed one amount and being told to take another amount.......... well unfortunatly, we're left in the place of having to make sure it doesn't happen again

I'll pm you later and tell you about my unmanageability
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

KITTEN,
make sure you get in contact with the dr who's treating you with sub. Make sure he's aware of what happened and also the fact your taking depakote. Effexor (SSRI in general) can do weird things to a small population)
good luck