Notices

Drug abuser in AA question.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug abuser in AA question.

Im sorry if the title of this post is confusing but I did not know how to phrase it exactly. I am a narcotics addict (3 days clean) and I have been to both NA and AA meetings, but seem to have more of a connection to people in the AA meetings in my area. Does it really matter that I am a drug abuser and not an alcoholic in AA? I identified more with what the people in AA were saying more than the NA program that I went to.
I really hope that my question made sense, I havent had many sober thoughts in years.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community & congratulations!

i don't know the answear to your question, that's for you to decide.
Don't use, ask for help, get a sponsor, & keep coming back!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

You'll get lots of different answers to this question. In the end, I think it really depends on the groups you go to. Most people say that if you don't really talk about your drug use specifically, it usually is not a problem. The basic principles of both groups are pretty much the same. You may be encouraged in AA to "identify" as an alcoholic. Most addicts are really addicted to the "high" as much as the substance, so many don't have a problem saying they are an alcoholic even if that isn't their specific issue.

I would advise posting this in the AA section of the forums, but I'll warn you that some of the posts my be negative. The best thing is to go to some open AA meetings, talk to some people there, get a "feel" for the group, and go from their. BTW, open meeting anyone can go to, so even if you only consider your self an addict, there should be no issue attending them. Closed meeting are supposed to be for alcoholics only, so you may want to tread lightly there. Glad you are taking some positive steps either way. Take care.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

I am a recovering addict and I go to AA! I agree that I also connect better with them than those of NA. Some old timer might have a problem with it but those who do in my group I tend to ignore!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Some of the old drunks in AA call drugs "solid alcohol". LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You would think it shouldn't make a difference, and I am not knocking AA. It's their group, they can do with it as they like, but I, personally, would not attend AA. I say this because there are VERY few members who accept us addicts. I've run into one or two whom accept anyone no matter their addiction to crack, cocaine, heroin, alcohol, pills, weed, etc. I've met them. But many I've talked to, in person, and online, give me the feeling that they think they are above me and better than me because my drug of choice is crack cocaine and I am an addict to an illegal substance. They give off the feeling that they've forgotten that they, TOO, are ADDICTS. Giving themselves a special term "alcoholic" doesn't make them any less of an addict. This is why, I think, I want nothing to do with AA and have a hard time with NA (since it is based from AA). Call me a "hippie" when it comes to addiction, but I think we should all just love and accept each other no matter what the heck we're addicted to. We're ALL addicts. Let's bond and help each other stay clean and sober.
BUT, if you're getting along better in AA than NA, that should answer your question for you. You like it better. Keep going back. Staying clean is more important than which group of A's you go to. Keep trying different NA meetings, in case you can't get to an AA one. Or don't. LOL. It's totally up to you.
Welcome to SR, by the way! I am so glad you found us! SR is a wonderful addition to your recovery journey. Full of love, tough love, information, comfort, and addicts of ALL different types, in different stages of recovery! It's like one HUGE, 24 hour a day, meeting. Minus the face to face. Keep coming back!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

My principal addiction over the last 30 years was alcohol. I first got sober in AA in 1986. Although I did not relapse on alcohol, I did abuse pills.
After exposure to NA, I opted to return to AA. Just my personal choice.
Whatever gets you through the night is all right.
(There's a song in there somewhere...)
Bear
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not again

Teacups,

Welcome, I hope you find the relief you seek. I to am an addict (crack) but have been using AA as the basis of my recovery, although some may find that hard to believe.
My understanding of the program seems to clash with some others, so I stick to the source. That said, here is the official word on addicts in AA.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-35_...anAlcohol1.pdf

If you decide to read it, I would suggest doing so with an open mind, by which I mean think outside the box. I identify myself as an alcoholic out of respect for the program and to those attendees who might be uncomfortable. But I work the program just the same, remember it's selflessness that reaps the rewards.

Regards,
Larrylive
Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

"The ONLY requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Some people are staunch about it and there are good reasons for it, not simply because we think we're special. Just identify as an alcoholic and keep the drug talk out of it or to a minimum. Also, don't be upset if you ask someone to sponsor you and they turn you down because they don't have experience with drug usage. They can't help you if they can't relate to your experience.

The decision is yours. Some of my best friends in the program had the same opinion...they related to AA's better. One gal said that she could relate because she used drugs 'alcoholically'. That made a lot of sense to me.

Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I started my recovery process in AA and during that time I always felt a bit out of place. Although my desire to stay clean was so strong I would've referred to myself as an alligator (), deep inside I struggled with the label "alcoholic" because I just couldn't identify on a deeper level. I never had blackouts, wasn't hooked physically or even mentally to booze, and to tell the truth...didn't like the taste of it. I called myself an "Anda" and sometimes I think that's why some of the AA oldtimers refused to sponsor me (I asked several men with over 10 years sober).

After attending an NA meeting on an invitation by an addict I met in AA, I found a new home. The NA members were just as loving and caring as those in AA and I was better able to relate to the experiences I heard shared.

I agree that it basically boils down to YOUR choice - what you feel most comfortable with and what you can relate to better. With these, there's a greater chance that you'll keep attending. There's one thing I know and that's they both work!!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by larrylive View Post
Teacups,

Welcome, I hope you find the relief you seek. I to am an addict (crack) but have been using AA as the basis of my recovery, although some may find that hard to believe.
My understanding of the program seems to clash with some others, so I stick to the source. That said, here is the official word on addicts in AA.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-35_...anAlcohol1.pdf

If you decide to read it, I would suggest doing so with an open mind, by which I mean think outside the box. I identify myself as an alcoholic out of respect for the program and to those attendees who might be uncomfortable. But I work the program just the same, remember it's selflessness that reaps the rewards.

Regards,
Larrylive
I love all that old cornball lingo in AA literature !