Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

ADHD Treatment with co-morbid bipolar & substance abuse

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

My story. I battled addiction for 2 years with opiates from 06-08. Checked myself into a psychiatric ward at the local hospital and came out diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, get treatment for that with Invega (which is like risperidone) at 9mg after titration. So far doing well except for still having difficulty concentrating. Go back to doctor, doc says you have ADHD after I explain everything I'm feeling. Starts treatment for ADHD with Strattera and boom, after first dose, I start itching everywhere and break out in a rash. I'm allergic to strattera. Starts me on Wellbutrin and so far I have noticed nothing better about the wellbutrin, still unable to focus for more than a few minutes at a time, always restless, irritable, agitated etc.

My question is that with my history of substance abuse would it be considered drug seeking behavior to see if perhaps a stimulant would work on myself, perhaps a long acting one, or a patch, for example drugs like concerta, daytrana, or adderall XR? I experience anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure) as well with the bipolar and my research has shown that treatment with a dopamine reuptake inhibitor is the cure which most stimulants are. I don't want to come across as a drug seeker however, but so far the treatments I've tried don't even come close to fixing the problem I'm experiencing and the longer I wait the more frustrated and irritated I get. I think I may be fixating on this inattention that I'm having constantly, and that was one of my triggers to make me use before, which the doctors are now telling me that I was self-medicating.

Any and all advice, experience, or hints would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

I apologize, I am also currently taking suboxone 8mg daily as well.

Last edited by scott; 01-26-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have ADHD and am also an opiate addict- I took Adderall for years, often when I was abusing opiates, but also when I was clean from everything else. It ALWAYS made me crave opiates personally, although I do know several addicts in recovery with ADHD who have no trouble getting scripts for stims from doctors- there is a lot of research to support the theory that stimulant therapy actually curbs substance abuse in those who legitimally have ADHD. That said, I am now on Suboxone, a front-line treatment for opiate addiction, it works wonders for my ADHD- no joke, I normally a slob, like many with ADD, and since I started the subs I am a total neat freak- I can't stand to have anything out of place. My doc says they are researching Suboxone as a treatment for ADHD- you may want to look into this med.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liberty47 View Post
I have ADHD and am also an opiate addict- I took Adderall for years, often when I was abusing opiates, but also when I was clean from everything else. It ALWAYS made me crave opiates personally, although I do know several addicts in recovery with ADHD who have no trouble getting scripts for stims from doctors- there is a lot of research to support the theory that stimulant therapy actually curbs substance abuse in those who legitimally have ADHD. That said, I am now on Suboxone, a front-line treatment for opiate addiction, it works wonders for my ADHD- no joke, I normally a slob, like many with ADD, and since I started the subs I am a total neat freak- I can't stand to have anything out of place. My doc says they are researching Suboxone as a treatment for ADHD- you may want to look into this med.
I apologise, I too am taking suboxone currently. Presently I am taking 8mg daily.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

How long have you been clean? It took me a long time before my ability to concentrate and feel came back.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
How long have you been clean? It took me a long time before my ability to concentrate and feel came back.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
I am just past the 30 day mark, however I do believe I'm having more than just an inability to concentrate. However, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and I hope you're right that time will cure it! That would be great!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I don't know anything about suboxone except what I've heard from others, but I know for me, I had to be clean of all chemicals for about six months before I started to see improvement in my mental function--and it kept improving for a couple of years.

We do some serious damage to our bodies and minds in active addiction. That stuff doesn't get better over night, and until you're off the suboxone, you might not know what you have to work with. It's a crazy game we get into when we start medicating the side-effects of other medications.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Vyvanse

I am also a recovering opiate addict, and basically realized I liked opiates because they gave me energy and helped with focus. I have ADHD, and was not treated for several years. I used to take Ritalin, Strattera, and tried other meds in the past, but developed the opiate addiction when during a time when I wasn't medicated. I am currently down to 1/4 mg of suboxone daily.
My doctor gave me Vyvanse to treat that ADHD. It is a stimulant, but is the slowest releasing stimulant currently on the market. It CAN NOT BE ABUSED!!! There is something about the composition that doesn't allow for it to be abused. It doesn't hit you like adderral (which made me feel like I was doing cocaine), or Ritalin. No extreme bursts of energy, shakiness, etc. I would recommend it for anyone with ADHD who has issues with addiction.