Notices

Computer question

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Computer question

OK guys. I'm a computer moron.

I got a new computer for Xmas, and I don't know how to transfer my favorites from the old one to the new. I'm afraid I'll lose all my passwords and stuff.

Any help? BV, Lugnut? Anyone computer savvy?

HELP!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey ((CC))...I'm not computer savvy but hubby is! He transferred all the favorites and my saved avatars/photos from the old computer to a disc and loaded them on the new computer.
I can ask him to explain how it did it and post it for you if you want??

Jane
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Hi, cc!
What browser are you using? Microsoft Explorer? Firefox?
You could save them to a flash drive or perhaps send a copy of the folder via email.

Happy to see cc again, I remain your faithful servant,
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Im Clean Today

All you have to do (I am assuming your using Internet Explorer?)

click on "File", "Import and Export" under the file menu, select "Export Favorites" and browse yo where you saved them and you could put them on a c d or as FSB suggested is to put them on a flash drive or attach it in an email

Easiest place to save it is your desktop! See image below..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Easiest thing is to use a decent sized USB flash drive or (better yet) an external hard drive (WD Passport, that kind of thing).

Step by step (assuming you're on XP on the old machine):
1) On the OLD computer, plug the USB drive in.
2) Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> and click 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard'
3) Basically , just then go through the steps the wizard takes you through, it'll let you select what you want to move to the other computer, favorites is one of those things, there's many more you may want to check, like perhaps the entire contents of your My Documents folder, and/or your saved outlook archives, for example.
4) When the wizard asks you where you want to save the output file, choose the USB drive, name it something you'll recognize.
5) Shut down the old , start up the new computer, plug in the USB drive. Navigate to the file you saved earlier, and double-click it. This should bring the Wizard back up on the new machine, and you just tell it to restore the contents on the new box.

Now, if you have a new computer, it likely has Vista, and I've never tried this process with moving stuff from XP to Vista (in fact, I've barely used vista at all). It's conceivable that this process may not work, and this is the point at which you'll likely find this out. If it IS the case that it doesn't work, Vista will likely tell you that you have to move a copy of the Vista version of the F&S Transfer Wizard over to your XP box and run that instead of the XP version you just ran. It should give you instructions at this point how to do so, basically you're just gonna save a copy of the Vista F&STW program on your usb drive, move the drive back to the old machine, and run that instead of Step 2 I listed above. other than that, the process will be identical.

Lemme know if you have any problems.

Also, AFA your passwords goes ... you mean, like website passwords that your computer has stored? That gets a bit more complicated, esp. if you're moving from XP to Vista, but even just XP > XP it's not that simple. I suggest you more or less resolve yourself that your website passwords are not gonna get moved ... If you think about it, it'd be kinda lame if it was really easy to just up and copy them to a new computer ... they'd be extremely UN-secure if that were the case ...
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Im Clean Today

there is an easy way to keep your passwords and transfer them to another pc..

Download roboform (i use it no spyware etc.) it's the free version...Download AI Roboform 6 (free version). AI Roboform is a free password manager and helps complete online forms. and when you visit your sites just type in the password and it will save it. then just transfer it using BV method or put it on a cd. or usb flash drive..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For Windows, a commercial program called PC Mover ($50) does a great job of transferring your applications, documents, settings, etc. from one PC to another.

Now if you had a Mac it would be a piece of cake . . .

Macs rule.

Buzz
Old 01-16-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First I have to get this out of the way. HOLY CRAP! STAGE BEAR! AS I LIVE AND BREATHE! How are you? Did you post where you've been? I'll check! Welcome, welcome, welcome.

OK, all you computer guys, thank you. I'm gonna print out your replies and have my nephew come over tonight because he's more savvy than me. Totally don't trust my husband.

Jane, if you want to add anything, I'd love to hear it.

You guys are the best!!!!

LOL - You may be seeing ccgirl85 on here soon!!!