Notices

Wish me luck, surgery on Thursday

Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Wish me luck, surgery on Thursday

I will spend my Christmas eve on the operating table. Busted my knee back in May. Torn meniscus. The procedure shouldn’t take more the three hours - I was told. I will be sent home on crutches. Doctor said I will be back walking normally in a few weeks - I cant wait. The take-home pain meds plan is in place. I will follow a pain scale and talk to my good friend and long time sponsor if I need to take any medication. And they will be remove form my house as I know I will not need them anymore.

Wish me luck.

Merry Christmas to all.
Ivan
Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are thinking clearly by discussing this with your sponsor and doc. There is nothing wrong with taking meds when needed. I firmly believe that no matter what is needed, we don't lose sobriety by taking meds as directed. Recognizing the danger beforehand can be a lifesaver!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Timebuster))) - good luck with the surgery!!

It sounds like you have a good plan in place with the pain meds. As a former nurse, I do want to say that in cases of legit pain, pain meds are often needed and "toughing it out" can do more harm than good, so please DO use your pain scale and take the meds if you truly need them. The rehab part of getting your knee back into moving is tough, but crucial - I believe you have enough recovery to do the right thing, I just don't want you to be in unnecessary pain, thinking that taking pain meds is messing with your clean time or recovery.

I'm having to take pain meds, now, as it looks like I tore a ligament in my hip, last week. I'm taking WAY more ibuprofen than narcotics, only using the narcotics as a last resort, as I, too, don't want to go down that "slippery slope", but I know that not being able to walk is not an option for me, right now. My dr. is aware of my addiction and only gave me a limited supply with no refills I filled him in on THAT little detail the first time I met him.

I think you'll do just fine, but sending you big hugs and prayers that things go well and you heal up fast!

Amy
Old 12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks tsmba…

Thanks Amy for your concern and advise. Sorry to hear about your hip. I will use extreme caution with the meds. But if I need them I will use them as directed. With a network of safeguards set up, my strong foundation in recovery, my sponsor, recovering friends, family, medical personnel and here at SR I should be fine.

Hugs
Ivan
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Finally Honest

Time,

I have the same issue I have to deal with tore mine playing hockey in August. I have decided not to take any narcotic pain meds. I have talked to many people who had the same surgery and said it is totally doable without. Just something to consider.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick Ivan

D
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you for your surgery. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas despite that too! And you have a great plan of action for medication. I firmly believe, as long as it's taken as prescribed, you are OK.
It's something I struggle with, myself, right now, because my vicodins were prescribed for my once a month thing and I busted my finger up. I had to call my doctor today and make sure I could take one, a day, for the pain. He had me come in, looked at my finger (it's NASTY) and told me to take the darned things. He told me to follow the bottle, one every 4-6 hours as needed. It was xrayed, no break, but it's twice the size of any other finger, all purple and swollen. I put some ice on it, boyfriend left me 2 vicodins and took the rest with him to work, so I don't take any more. I don't want to, but when you get that fuzzy feeling, and you're an addict.. Your addiction starts talking and it's a talking. Anyway, didn't mean to rabble on like that. Sorry..
I really hope your surgery goes well and you can have a good knee again! I look forward to hearing about your progress! My Mom had both her knees replaced (time and age wore them out, plus a car accident when she was a teenager), and it was a lot of work for her, but she walks SO much better and with SO MUCH LESS pain today!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I hope ur surgery goes well and exactly as planned.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that, for me, honestly assessing my "need" for drugs isn't always possible. I'd go as far as saying that (sometimes) I'm pretty sure that my body will create a "need" for pills if they're available. Yes, those pain meds can be unavoidable, but knowing there is a limited supply, and that my doc is well aware of my tendencies has been helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best of luck. Glad you have a med plan in place.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking about you and wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh Ivan! ouch !!!

well.... Merry Christmas and see you soon
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Tsmba))) - I'm glad you recognize that you may not always KNOW when you actually need the pain meds...is it really pain, or is it that litle voice in your head TELLING you that you need the mes. This is why I put a plan in place with my dr. from day one...I had a ruptured disc, some years back, and every now and then it flares up and ibuprofen just doesn't work. I've actually gotten shots of Toradol that DID help,at times, but others...only a narcotic will work.

So, we set out a plan...limited number, NO refills. I rarely ask for pain meds, so I've built up trust with him and he knows that if I DO ask....I'm in a lot of pain and have already tried the ibuproven, PT exercises...everything I know to do before going to him.

I think your recovery is shining through brightly!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Timebuster,

Good luck with your surgery. I wish a speedy recovery for you. I had foot surgery several times and I can tell you, the worst part of it was the inconvenience of having trouble getting around. Especially at bath-time!

These procedures are so much easier these days with all the fancy techniques and minimum invasion, I'm sure you'll need less pain meds than expected. A friend of mine had knee surgery and used a TENS unit. She said it worked just fine for her after the first day. You might ask about one. Insurance will cover it in most cases.

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

Good luck and god bless you.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tsmba - Amy - Wantingit - Dee - CrackQuack - DecBaby - ccgirl - yukonm - emmer - Lenina - Tryin2recover.

Thank you all for your care, concerns and words of wisdom. Merry Christmas to you and to yours.

First I have to say today’s medical technology is amazing. The procedure went flawless. I’m home Icepack on my knee leg up and happy to say with minimal pain and discomfort.

As for pain meds, I was given two percocet when I woke up and a scrip which I had filled and if I need them I can have them delivered. Right now am taking Advil and my pain scale is about one. So far, so good.

Crutches on hand, following in-house rehab exercise, I see the doctor next week and if everything goes well I should be back to work on the 4th of the new year. Pain free - at least from my knee. lol

Peace and love
Ivan
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

hey Ivan I am happy everything went smooth for you. Thank you for inspiring me today to want to do the next right thing in recovery. Peace Love Respect.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is going well Ivan

D
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
little darlin'

great to hear you're doing well... I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Take care
Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((Ivan)) - SO glad everything went well!! If THIS recovery goes half as well as your "other" recovery - you'll have no problem

Hugs and prayers!

Amy