Notices

Just Wondering About My Liver

Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Wondering About My Liver

I AM 41 YEARS OLDI Have Bean Taking Loritabs For Over 4 Years At The Rate Of 3 At A Time Once A Day..for 4 Years 10.5..i Just Quit Taking Them About A Week Ago....im Doing Good But Now I Am Scared That I My Have Done Bad Damage To My Liver..i Have Bean Taking Milkthisell....to Clean My Liver..do I Have To Worry...i Cant Sleep At Night I Am Thinking All The Time Im Going To Die At A Young Age Because I Damaged My Liver..i Need Closher..thank You Sorry For The Spelling...
Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't give med advice but if i were you i wouldn't worry at all.
I used to take t1's by thousands. Often 30 a day and many times 50 and even a 100 in a day.

I am very grateful to have a liver and that it didnt turn to soup (it should have).......but again, I wouldn't worry if i were U.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Your liver can rejuvenate itself if you take care of it.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Have you thought about seeing a doctor to relieve your concerns?
That is the only way you are REALLY going to know.
Welcome!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hoping for a good answer

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Have you thought about seeing a doctor to relieve your concerns?
That is the only way you are REALLY going to know.
Welcome!!!
i have no helth care.and figure that a recovering addict could tell me better from ther owne experience.....:bounce
Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Mine's fit as a fiddle and I punished it pretty good.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, the amount of stuff I put mine through....

Mine is doing great.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

+ 1 on what everyone else says. Check with a doctor, of course, as soon as possible, but, bottom-line, the tylenol dosage you're talking about is WAY WAY WAY below what a lot of us around here subjected our livers to over the years...

And the reason you can't sleep at night and are freaking out about your health? That's called 'withdrawals'
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I was convinced I'd wrecked my liver - I had pain, was fairly yellow skinned, my eyeballs were pale yellow at times. Tests all came back clear. Stopped drinking about 60 days ago, and the pain went pretty quickly too!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ditto, on everyone elses comments. Took 30-40 lortabs daily. had my liver checked and its fine.If you get a physical it should be part of routine tests. Sounds like your WD's were not too bad, the sleep will come. Congratulations on quitting !!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, mine is fine too for some reason. What a hearty organ. I'm sure yours is fine too, man.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know I already spoke to this, but I just wanna re-iterate: if you were taking, oh, lets say ... in the neighborhood of 50-80 lortabs a day for 4 years ... THEN ... that is about where I'd draw the line and say ... you really gotta get to the doc and have your liver checked out immediately.

Just to give you some perspective on 'where you are at', compared to what some of us nutjobs around here have done to ourselves before...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry I have this worry too.

I am in the UK. I am sure Tylenol is paracetamol here but what are lortabs please? What is the active drug/drugs in them.

B
x
Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rebecca: 'lortabs' is just a different tradename for vicodin, e.g. it contains hydrocodone/paracetamol.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Well livers are a very important organ that's for sure. I think there must be a way you could get to a doctor who could check it for you. It is after all a concern of yours and it is keeping you awake at night.

Go to a state run emergency room and tell them your concerns and let them check you out. They can bill you for it and you can probably even make payments if you tell them your situation.

Let your recovery bring you peace of mind.

I hurt my liver from drinking and doing drugs but I can assure that staying clean has helped my liver to recover as well as the rest of me.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow

So in the UK that would be 40-50 tablets of paracetamol (500mg) a day?

I take about six a day.

Splendra how did you know you hurt your liver, as in what symptoms did you have honey?

B
x
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ugh. Blackwater, that's a question I've thought about over the years too; I usually force my brain to think of something else. I shudder to think of what I've done.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Splendra how did you know you hurt your liver, as in what symptoms did you have honey?
Well pain and swelling in my liver was the most tell tale of signs. My symptoms were diagnosed by an acupuncture Dr. my liver meridian was very blocked.

My liver protruded out from underneath my ribs. It took me a long time to feel good after I quit drinking because I was so toxic.

When ever the subject of drinking come to mind my liver always votes no and with good reason. I had to learn to love my liver too ya know...I am in good with my liver these days for sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resilient One

I abused codeine pills to the tune of 40 a day for 3 years, and then half of that for the last year while I tried and tried and tried to kick the habit. At 325mg acetaminophen a pop, thats' 13,000mg a day, or 11,000mg over the "suggested" maximum dosage. I experienced ankle/foot swelling, high blood pressure, significant weight gain (to the tune of SIXTY pounds) from my toxic liver being unable to metabolize the junk I was stuffing into my mouth, I had to go for an endoscopy and although they never found any varices, they found erosion in my stomach, and I am currently scheduled for a colonoscopy for next week. I had/have heart burn, pain with my gallbladder (mild, not severe), headaches from the withdrawal, bathroom (#2) issues, and petechiae from the swelling of the spleen due to my overloaded liver. Some (not all) of the above symptoms are indicative to cirrhosis. I am too scared to check, and too embarrassed to tell my doctor.

This is what OTC codeine pills can do. I was 110% healthy without a problem medically except for my PTSD which was dx'd after I became an addict. I try not to beat myself up daily, but I'm a pretty easy target.

Oh, and I'm 33 years old. I'm doing well on the abstinence. Actually, I don't ever want to touch that **** again. I am just having a hard time accepting the consequences.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am in agreement with what the others have said. In "usual" cases it would require a heck of a lot more toxins than that to ruin a liver. Remember, you will not know for sure though unless you see a doctor. I know from personal experience that if you do not have health insurance and go to the Emergency Room Walk-In, tell them to bill you and they will. Don't be like me and not pay any of the bills because now I owe about $2 grand but it might give you more peace of mind to hear it from an expert.

Try to think of this when you are going to sleep at night, you have given a week's worth of good health back to not only your liver but your ENTIRE body and mind. With most drugs any damage that may have been done can be reversed by stopping. If you stop before it's too late of course! I have abused everything imaginable since I was about 11 years old and 16 years later mine is still fine, go figure! But you know what they say, only the good die young!