Notices

Quitting oxycodone

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting oxycodone

I posted in another part of this site a few days ago. I think my posts belong here :/

I've been using on and off for almost 9 years. This last stretch was a year with percocet. I quit because the side effects were becoming awful for the last 2 months of using. I spoke to a drug counselor and he said I was taking them wrong. So I was taking them, then withdrawing 6 hours later.

I'm 24 days off the pills today. I'm still having mild withdrawals. They started as waves every 7 hours or so, then a couple days ago they just came in slightly less strong, but non stop. A dull dry feeling in my sinuses and upper lungs, on and off dry mouth. A few strong sneezes once in awhile. Still have some insomnia. Usually get a couple hours of light sleep.

My withdrawal symptoms seem different from everyone else's, just from reading here on SR. I am hoping I have not caused some irreversible damage to myself. I saw my doctor and finally told him about my addiction. He told me not likely permanent damage, just to expect a slower recovery because I have used for so long. I am not taking anything but a couple of Tylenol caplets, which practically do nothing. I always drank beer socially, 2 or 3 pints at most, but I don't want to drink while I'm going through this. I really want to clean out my system. But this sobriety thing blows. The pills are gone, whole bottle flushed on the 3rd. I honestly do not ever want to use opiates again. I know it's sounds cliche, but I cant express more how bad I want to get away from this.

On top of the physical part, I seem to be turning inward, displaced, wondering why I am alive. No interest in anything.

I can clearly see what the pills did for me, I feel like I am missing a limb.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

I have felt the same way since coming off opiates after a ten year stretch. My interest in life is zero. No desire to do anything. Yet sitting around drives me crazy.

An addiction doctor on the HBO documentary "Addiction" said that it can take a year for the brain to recover after long term opiate abuse. Most of the time it is much sooner though.

I think the important thing to remember is that even though we may feel crappy, our minds and bodies are HEALING. I keep telling myself this.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you using Suboxone or anything? I am almost 3 months off opiates and I am using Suboxone. maybe something like that may work for you as well. Good luck with recovery. I know how hard withdraws can be. My first time doing it on my own, I tried it by myself and I suffered tremndously for about a month. I hope you start feeling better soon!

April
Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Don't know much about sinuses and sneezing, but on the last point you made -
I think you might be experiencing the depression that seems very common to everyone giving up opiates.

I'm on anti depressants that I was convinced weren't working, but now, I'm not so sure. I think they are helping. It might be worth talking to your doctor about it.

Congrats on 24 days!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

RIght on!!!
Reading your post reminded me to take my Zoloft!! I don't even know that it actually works..but I have the same kind of depression..nothing interests me..no hope kind of feeling. Often that has been the exact thing that took me back to using...
One thing that truly does help is getting out and walking...I mean I know it is like pulling teeth to get yourself to do it..but I swear it gets the blood flowing back to the brain ...
You can learn to deal with the depression . Focus on the solution...not the problem ....there are LOTS of good tips for dealing with depression and not so many on dealing successfully with a drug habit!!

Keep posting....you articulate your depression very well!! Describes mine to a T...I can totally relate and we are here to support you!!!
love north
Old 10-26-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

PS...Forgot to say ...You are awesome!! You should be PROUD of your accomplishment!! It is a HUGE thing to go through..just read the other posts on the board!
love north
Old 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate all your responses. I am also on medication for high blood pressure. it's Clonidine .02, I have been taking it for almost two years. I also understand Clonidine is used for opiate withdrawal symptoms. That may be helping, but I am also just learning that the Clonidine may be causing the tight chest/sinus problem, a side effect. Many high blood medications have similar side effects.
Unfortunately, I cant just stop taking the HBP meds. I believe that is causing it because no one else recovering from oxycodone seems to be mentioning these symptoms.

So I have these two things piled on top of each other. I appreciate finding this site. Peace and strength to all of you.