Notices

It's Been a While

Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Been a While

Uhh, Hey.When I was a kid my DOC was crystal meth, before it was well known. Now 20 years later and an ADD diagnosis I'm not handling the meds well. The schedule III's can be even more dangerous than methamphetamine. I'm isolated for months at a time do to work, so meetings, counselling, therapy are not options right now. I'm trying to do whatever I can to give my wife some peace, so I'm checking in here.
Edit: Oh, yes not handling the meds well means I'm out of control.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say WELCOME to SR, lots of people on here have had trouble with meth. I know how you feel about the meds, I have been thru soooo many till I found a semi decent set. If I can help in any way, let me know what meds you are on, I cannot give medical advice, but can surely tell you what I am on, if anything similar, and tell you what my doc and I tried? I hope you are holding up ok right now, please keep posting and let me know. Again, welcome, you are at the right place!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome.
Are you saying that you are abusing pain killers at this point? I'm just not clear on what you're going through from your post. If that is indeed the case, no need to be embarrassed about it on here. I was on them too, and had to get medical help to get off them, but it is possible. I needed a program, an addictionologist, outpatient treatment, and lots of NA meetings. Start with a meeting, check out the website to find one. You certainly will find that you aren't alone. A lot of us had pain pills like oxycontin and percocet and vicodin as our drugs of choice. Love from:
KJ
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I wasn't too clear on the meds. When the Ritalin didn't work out, I went to Wellbutrin. I was really dissapointed to not be able to handle the amphetamine because it worked very well. But the Wellbutrin works pretty good too. I definetely will know a difference if I have to get rid of it too. I've been in the habit of taking way tooo much, which makes you vulnerable to seizures (grand mal, i.e, bad ones).

I'd love to hear alternatives. I'm kind of stuck with what I've got until I can rotate home. But I need a plan.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Subren,
You're abusing Wellbutrin?
That is a new one on me, but, as addicts, we are capable of abusing almost any mood modifier given the chance and if we lack real recovery of our spirits.

Wellbutrin always made me feel icky when it was prescribed to me for depression. It made me all wired up and weird. I couldn't take it. But you are correct about the seizures with abusing Wellbutrin. You know, you are taking your life in your hands. The literature I have from the pharmacy on that drug is that the seizures can kill you if you abuse it.

As addicts, we go from substance to substance until we get recovery on the inside. Recovery is a lot different than just detoxing. And friend, you need recovery and detox.

Wellbutrin can make you real sick if you get off of it without a titration, according to my psychiatrist. You could have seizures from the detox.

I think you need medical help at this point to get off the Wellbutrin, or at least to get the dose down, if that's what you have to do. Some people need antidepressants their whole life, like me. For us, it's a matter of finding the right meds, the right doseage. That is part of my recovery, coming to terms with my real medical, psychiatric diagnosis, chronic, clinical, severe depression. If I try to deny my illness, I'll get sicker. If I don't go to my appointments or take my medication as prescribed, I'll get sicker. In many ways. You might just be like that too.

Your life is in danger. I strongly urge you to get to a doctor, like now, to find out what to do to get this under control in a medically safe way. I understand you are in a place where there are no meetings, deployed somewhere? Is that right? If that's so, maybe come to our on-line meetings until you rotate back.

If for some reason you can't go to a doctor because of your deployment, I can tell you that it's dangerous to jump off your meds without medical help or a titration, so do some research on line before you decide what to do about it.

KJ
Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks kj. I met with a missionary doctor today and will be working with him to get back on the correct dose. I have a medical backround also and what he pointed out that I completely overlooked is the interaction with antimalarials. Uhh. OK diagnosis official now: braindead. Unfortunately I see meds in my future for a very long time also. Living without is like carrying a 40 pound dumbell with me everywhere I go. Switching from Ritalin to the Wellbutrin caused me to notice some other positive changes, which is a step closer to another disorder diagnosis for me. My poor wife!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey there,

Meth was my doc also. I have bipolar but what I found it really helped me with was my
ADD, first time in for as long as I could remember I could actually concentrate and get something done. But you know the drill, it stops working.

I have taken ritalin as well and a few others, I never did abuse those, but right now I am taking wellbutrin because it helps me with the depression as well.
Wellbutrin is great for me for many reasons, it's not something I've ever been attempted to abuse and I actually hate when I take to much,which has been done
on accident.

I hope you work with someone to figure out what is right for you, I know how hard
it can be when your not in å good place. It took me a long time to figure it all out.

Good luck to you...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi Subren,

My DOC too was meth. (I was from San Diego, the meth captital in the 80's) I used it from 1985-2/3/1991, but only for 4 yrs cuz I did have a little clean time in there. I too think I have ADD, but I cannot be medicated for it cuz I am afraid of any kind of speed. I also abused phentermine a few years ago to lose weight and ended up with my first pancreatic attack. I too was on wellbutrin, but never did abuse is cuz I didn't like how it made me feel. I have been doing pretty good on a low dose of zoloft now. about 33 mg a day.

I am happy for your finding us. I agree w/ everyone on here how you need a safe medical detox. Our problem as addicts is we do not taper very well, cuz we are so compulsive.

keep on posting and can you get to an NA meeting?

blessings, Sheila
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello Im new here,Ive read alot of post but this is the first time Ive actually posted,because I couldnt find anyone that could relate to me and my problems,until now. Ive been addicted to meth for six years now,and Im trying so hard to quit. Its the hardest thing in the world for me to stop. The withdrawls are the worst,its not the cravings I have ,its the sickness. Im so nauseated I actually throw up. Please can anyone give me a clue how I can overcome this. Thanks, cowgirlcray:wtf2
Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by cowgirlcrazy View Post
hello Im new here,Ive read alot of post but this is the first time Ive actually posted,because I couldnt find anyone that could relate to me and my problems,until now. Ive been addicted to meth for six years now,and Im trying so hard to quit. Its the hardest thing in the world for me to stop. The withdrawls are the worst,its not the cravings I have ,its the sickness. Im so nauseated I actually throw up. Please can anyone give me a clue how I can overcome this. Thanks, cowgirlcray:wtf2
I was sick for a while too, a lot of people say you don't get sick detoxing from meth, but I was, chills, high fever, throwing up. But it goes away. If it gets too bad go to your doctor.
I drank Gatorade, and Pedialyte and eventually was able to eat again.
Try some crackers also.
Hang in there, you can do it... It does get easier...
The best way you can overcome it is to abstain from doing meth.

:ghug2
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done-With-It View Post
I drank Gatorade, and Pedialyte and eventually was able to eat again. Try some crackers also.
Ya, rock on.Cut the Gatorate with water by at least half. If your getting sick your also getting dehydatrated really fast. Just taking care of your most basic needs will help your body process whatever it needs to without taking longer than it should. Plus it'll help you feel a little less bad to be doing something thats good for you and life giving. Sorry I'm no veteran here. But I survived pneumonia two years ago, that should count for something.

Today is better than yesterday which was better than the day before. I didn't catch up with the doc like I was supposed to. But I'm tapering down anyway and feeling pretty calm about it. I'm picking my exrersize routine back up, too, which helps to stimulate some dopa, epi and norepi. Plus I noticed it gave my nervous system something to do so it wasn't just spontaneously firing. Like a leg twitch or something. I'm sure this all looks completely nuts but I have to work with the resources I have. I'll be real happy to get home.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Subren View Post
Ya, rock on.Cut the Gatorate with water by at least half. If your getting sick your also getting dehydatrated really fast. Just taking care of your most basic needs will help your body process whatever it needs to without taking longer than it should. Plus it'll help you feel a little less bad to be doing something thats good for you and life giving. Sorry I'm no veteran here. But I survived pneumonia two years ago, that should count for something.

Today is better than yesterday which was better than the day before. I didn't catch up with the doc like I was supposed to. But I'm tapering down anyway and feeling pretty calm about it. I'm picking my exrersize routine back up, too, which helps to stimulate some dopa, epi and norepi. Plus I noticed it gave my nervous system something to do so it wasn't just spontaneously firing. Like a leg twitch or something. I'm sure this all looks completely nuts but I have to work with the resources I have. I'll be real happy to get home.
I'm fine now, was just saying to cowgirl what I did when I was detoxing.
That was almost three years ago.

Glad you are feeling better. :ghug
Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yesterday was outstanding untill my wife flew off the handle on me for God knows what. Today I dcan't find the doctor I gave the meds to. So I'm going from a double max dose day before yesterday to zero milligrams today. But for some reason thats acceptable to these people? To say I'm pissed is an understatement. I'm going to take an antispsomitic and go to back to bed. Tomorrow I'm taking my meds back and will do this alone. I'm tired of people telling me they know better than me and then leaving me out to dry alone.