Notices

I don't know where to put this.. Benadryl..

Old 08-10-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know where to put this.. Benadryl..

I'm sure I might get laughed at because I know most of you have been through a much worse situation than me. I was hoping you guys/ladies will help me understand or maybe help me get a feel for what I might be going through. For one, I have never had this problem. There is addiction in my family. I personally have been taking Benadryl for almost 4 years. The past few months I have been taking it everyday. Almost 3 in one day. There have been others that have been much worse than me. I don't have to take a lot to feel the sleepy effect. But, Just recently I have noticed that if I don't take Benadryl I will feel really crappy. I will also feel dizzy. I have started to take Nyquil too. I get anxiety if I don't take Benadryl. I haven't felt myself in a good month. I don't know what to do. I get this horrible feeling that I might have cancer because of the fact that I can't get better. I was hoping someone here would help me. I do see a therapist and I told her about the anxiety and the benadryl. She doesn't say much about it because she thinks I have anxiety so the benadryl is helping me. I just don't know if its making me feel worse. Does anyone have a clue whats going on?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would take Benadryl for anxiety, because it would knock me out... I graduated to other substances. My excuse was that I did not have medical, so I would self medicate myself. I am a little confused that your therapist seems to be putting this on the side.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I personally have abused both Nyquil and Benadryl in the past---so I choose to avoid both substances. Benadryl is not labeled as an anti-anxiety medication (although it does produce drowsiness). It is an anti-histamine. I used to take Benadryl for the wrong reasons--to become numb...not to feel. I took it for reasons other than what it is labeled for. I would speak to a medical doctor about what is going on. To be taking it at that dose, frequency for about 4 years--of course your body is "freaking out" (so to speak). Seek help from a medical professional about your condition first--and if afterward needed--they can prescribe any needed meds--including those for anxiety.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much guys. I appreciate the comments. Although I have been taking Benadryl for a good 4 years I haven't taken it straight. This past month I have been taking it every day. I only take one but I wind up taking three in total all day. This is why I was sure you would all laugh at me. I have seen much worse. I could just be anxious about it considering I have three kids and I don't want to wind up being addicted to them since I have addiction in my family. As I sit here and think about it, It would make sense that my body would respond to the Benadryl. I wonder if my sinuses were dried out? I'll have to talk to my Doctor about it. I will also tell my therapist about her non concern about my benadryl.

I personally took it to take the anxiety chip off my shoulder. It worked for the first three weeks. Now I'm stuck wondering if I will ever get over the anxiety and the addiction. I only took one dose of Nyquil. I'm trying to keep myself from taking anything for the rest of the week. I don't see that happening.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Check out the links to similar threads at the bottom of this page. There have been 3 or 4 other benedryl threads this year.
As we say, "we aren't interested in what or how much you used or who your connections were." The only important thing is what do you want to do about your problem? If you want what we have, you are willing to take certain steps. One of those that I took was to start NA meetings, every day for a while, as many as I could. It helped me get started. The rest followed pretty naturally as I took the suggestions from successful clean people I met there. I hope you decide to try it! Welcome to sober recovery.
KJ
Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'm itchy just reading this.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I used to abuse Benadryl myself, and other cold medicines. I know lots others who have abused them as well.

I don't have any advice for you. Just want you to know you're definitely not alone.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You know what? We would never laugh at anyone for any addiction or potential addiction. That's why we're here. No worries about that, OK? Concentrate on you benadryl problem. Ask yourself why you take it at the times of day you do. Also someone else said they started that way and gradualted on to other substances. That worries me most.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

just to let you know as well... we would never laugh at you. please don't think that, your issues and concerns are well respected.
Originally Posted by Misvenus View Post
This is why I was sure you would all laugh at me.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. I do feel welcomed here. I wasn't sure how anyone would react on the amount of benadryl I took. To answer a few questions. I usually take it a few hours after I get up when the anxiety kicks in. Being alone puts a lot of pressure on me. I was a workaholic for many years. I never had this problem. It all started after my twins were born. Since we have three kids the amount of money it would have cost us to put them in daycare along with me going back to work was pointless. So, I decided to stay at home and he works all day long. Almost 60 hours a week. Hes never home. I rarely get any help. Only a few hours from my mother. She lives around the corner from me. She smokes pot. Shes been doing that for many years. I accept that due to the fact that most of my family has a drug addiction. I for one told myself that I would never do such a thing. I feel ashamed for getting to this point. I am the only one in my family to graduate high school. I should be graduating from college right now. I want to go back to work but the area that we live in is horrible for my background. I need to be certified in the state of Virginia. So, for me to go back to school I need to put them in daycare. As you can see, I have lots of worries and lots of anxiety. The Benadryl took the edge off. I am also a Hypochondriac. I was diagnosed with severe OCD. Perfectionism has been my major flaw. You can kind of tell in my novel that I am writing. I am currently going to therapy for this. I can honestly say that things could be much worse. Things have been great for me. Ever since the twins, my life has been a mess. Only because I don't feel myself anymore. There have been times where I want to leave my family because I can't take the stress anymore. Money problems are always around but I rarely let them get to me. I compromise by budgeting. This is a must especially with a family of 5. I wish I could do so much for my family but I can't. I feel like a horrible mother for being in this situation. My anxiety makes me really irritable and angry sometimes. I don't hit my children. I would never do that.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. You can kind of see why my addiction to Benadryl has been a huge factor in my stressful and meaningless life. Not trying to berate myself but thats the way I see it sometimes.OH, I also take Benadryl before bed. It seems that I can only sleep when my brain shuts off. My brain goes a mile a minute. So for me to relax before bed, I have to take Benadryl or nyquil. My excuses to my husband were that I don't feel good or I have allergies. Which I do, but thats no reason for me to be this way. He knows about my addiction. He choses to be here with me and help me.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've certainly abused both of those OTC meds many times. Actually for years and years
and i would mix them with other stuff to numb myself.
It can really turn into a big problem fast.

I started out using that stuff to help sleep and then it got so i took more and more to the point where my wife would be scared to leave me alone because i was so fudged up.

I've taken much more hardcore stuff than that but i can tell you that,that stuff will mess you up too.

There's no reason not to hit a na meeting right?

They dont care about what you've used but only that it's become a problem.

....Joe
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joe's right; if it's bothering you, it's a problem. Meetings are great if you can get there. No on there will laugh either. Promise.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Misvenus;1865721]Thank you so much guys. I appreciate the comments. Although I have been taking Benadryl for a good 4 years I haven't taken it straight. This past month I have been taking it every day. I only take one but I wind up taking three in total all day. This is why I was sure you would all laugh at me. I have seen much worse. [QUOTE]

First off, welcome! :ghug We would never laugh. Addiction is addiction is addiction. Whether it be Benadryl, Opiates, Cocaine, etc...

Have you told your therapist that you are addicted to the Benadryl? I wish you the best. This is a great forum.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can so identify.the minute I think of stopping, the anxiety kicks in and I end up taking 10-15 just to function. This has been going on for a year now and I am so afraid of stopping because of the awful panioc attacks that I have,...I just got prescription for Xanaz, but now I am afraid I am going to get addicted to that. I just dont know where to turn. I go to AA, but they discourage drug talk...Any suggestions??? Maybe NA????
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

careful with the xanax. you tried anti-depressants?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am on Prozac,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,