Notices

Immodium AD

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Immodium AD

As a opiate addict and actively in AA I've been on Sub for 10 months. Tomorrow is going to be day 3 off of it and today I took Immodium. The problem is that at the time I didn't know it was an Opiate. I know that is doesn't get you have since it doesn't cross the blood barrier to the brain but now I have this crappy feeling for the fact that I took something opiate based. I took the directed dosage, should I not feel so bad about taking it? Maybe I'm just being a little ocd.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

If you took over the counter Imodium,you didn't take anything with opiates in it or opiate based.

If it had any narcotics in it, they couldn't sell it OTC.

Relax.

Your fine.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also,if you had diarrhea, that's what that stuff is for!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its an opiate,but not one that is subject to addiction. You took it for it's intended purpose, so dont worry about it. You are doing great!

Here is Wiki on Immodium:

"Loperamide is an opioid receptor agonist and acts on the μ-opioid receptors in the myenteric plexus large intestines; it does not affect the central nervous system like other opioids.

It works by decreasing the activity of the myenteric plexus which decreases the motility of the circular and longitudinal smooth muscles of the intestinal wall. This increases the amount of time substances stay in the intestine, allowing for more water to be absorbed out of the fecal matter. Loperamide also decreases colonic mass movements and suppresses the gastrocolic reflex.[4]

Loperamide molecules do not cross the blood-brain barrier in significant amounts, and thus it has no analgesic properties. Any that do cross the blood-brain barrier are quickly exported from the brain by P-glycoprotein (Pgp), also known as multidrug resistance protein (MDR1). Tolerance in response to long-term use has not been reported.

However, loperamide can cause physical dependence. Symptoms of opiate withdrawal have been observed in patients abruptly discontinuing long-term therapy with loperamide. For this reason, the drug was briefly classified as a Schedule V controlled substance upon its introduction.[citation needed]"