Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Did anyone here who is/was an addict get kicked out when you weren't stable/safe?

Notices

Did anyone here who is/was an addict get kicked out when you weren't stable/safe?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My H is very obviously high. Always before you could barely detect it. He's upped the usage apparantly (percocet I think?) because he's not safe to be driving and I'm terrified to get fired. I'm gathering from people on SR that he should be kicked out NOW. My counselor and I talked today and he feels I should wait a week or so until AH's next appt because he wants to lay it all out for AH.

He's afraid that AH may kill someone or himself while driving. He's also afraid that without someone to monitor him somewhat that he will lose an awesome job that he's had for 21 years. I know this is totally codependent, but what do I do about the fact that he could harm someone or himself? Also what if suicide has been mentioned? I do know that he is that low that it could happen. He could be bluffing, but I don't know how to take that chance. Thank you so much for all of your input.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you have him committed somewhere? Here where I live.....suicide/attempted suicide is against the law! You will go to jail if turned in.......
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If he is a danger to himself or others he can be committed to a psych unit. They will detox him.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He has talked about it, but then says he's not serious, he'd never do that to the kids or I. (Unless it looks like it's unintentional - THAT is what I'm worried about). Even without the suicide talk, what about if he's driving when it's not safe. I can call the police, but then he loses his job which will completely devastate the kids and I monitarily.

I guess I"m asking because I've heard let him fall, let him fall etc. I understand this now, but I want to fall and hit rock bottom to get help, not fall and kill himself either accidentally or intentionally. KWIM?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eventually he'll lose the job anyways.......it's inevitable, using, being responsible, the two just don't mix.........
Old 05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is relevant but I took 3 weeks of vacation and got clean. I didn't want to get fired and didn't want to quit (couldn't quit for financial reasons) and I used an excuse of a sick family member. Told them I didn't want to go on short-term disability or Family Medical Leave b/c I needed to get a paycheck while working to get clean. I went to doctor that deals with the brain medically, and who is a takes private patients. I was on Lortab. He helped me get clean with Suboxone. Worked great for me but from what I read, it doesn't work for everyone. The key is get them in somewhere without them thinking it will disrupt their life otherwise. And make sure there is counseling to go with it - that is critical or an addict will use again.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

My addiction caused me to harm many...
I got kicked out , locked up and left a neat little trail of destruction in the path I was on with my using and abusing..

Save yourself at all cost. You cannot trust anything a using addict says or does and I can tell that you are accepting that...
Right on that you are looking to protect yourself...that really is the ONLY person we CAN save....ourselves...

Wishin the best for you and your recovery!!!
love north
Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

you need to get him evaluated by professionals if he's only "talking" about harming himself or others. usually talk leads to action.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup. Don't belive for a second that people who talk about killing themselves won't. It can happen.

Make sure YOU"RE safe. Ultimately only he can do the same for himself.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

The mere fact that he is using narcotics and driving, is posing a danger to your children, not to mention the population.

If you were truly concerned about your family's life and your AH's "terrific job" which will evaporate if he kills someone or himself, you must present yourself at family court and try to obtain a Mental Hygeine Warrant, which will permit you to contact the police anytime he is in a car and uinder the influence. The police will immediately take hum to a psychiatric emergency room--not jail--and he will be safe, not to mention all who are on the street.

He will be evaluated and with the hope of true professional assessment, be transferred to a rehab/detox center where he can begin the road toward recovery.

Several of us have mentioned this as an intervention, and you can do it. Callie, if you just understand a little of his disease, you may save him from an ugly end...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Callie)))

Some good advice above.

I hate to say this, but at the rate he's going, he is not only going to lose his job, but may also face criminal charges because of his profession. If there is even a small amount of meds not accounted for, he can face the same charges I got..."obtaining controlled substance by fraudulent means".

If I were you, I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Yes, losing his job will affect you and the kids. However, there is nothing you can do about his using. I would start working on the finances and see what you can do if/when his income is no longer coming in.

It's not fair to you or the kids, but, unfortunately, the families are usually greatly affected by someone's addiction.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy