Notices

Any music?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any music?

I like to listen to music a lot when i'm in the car and working out. I've listened to mainly rap, but i'm open to other stuff. I never got many cravings/triggers from listening to music, but i'm trying to add a positive light to my life and the gangster rap and drug dealing music doesn't help the cause. I'd like some layed back stuff, but also more upbeat/intense stuff for workouts. anyway just wondering if any of you had suggestions for this.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I listened to a lot of Mumford and Sons while in rehab in 2014. Good music and some really powerful, uplifting lyrics. Definitely not rap, but it helped me then and continues to today
Old 01-03-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my friend's husband got really into classic jazz when he got clean.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimt91 View Post
I like to listen to music a lot when i'm in the car and working out. I've listened to mainly rap, but i'm open to other stuff. I never got many cravings/triggers from listening to music, but i'm trying to add a positive light to my life and the gangster rap and drug dealing music doesn't help the cause. I'd like some layed back stuff, but also more upbeat/intense stuff for workouts. anyway just wondering if any of you had suggestions for this.
Thanks
i came up on 90s rap and 80s metal. i would say stay away from any emotional songs that you can relate to. i use to listen to dmx slippen and all it did was make me more depressed because i related so much to the song that i realized i couldnt handle it. this sounds funny but when i wanna be in a good mood i put "juvenile back that a** up" the upbeat tempo makes me happy lol. alot of 80s metal like old metallica usually charges me up, or ministry. appetite for destruction. or since you like rap and prob know about sampling, look up the songs dr dre sampled and find a buncha old motown songs like al green and bootsy collins and stuff. those old blues/jazz/motown love making songs kinda mellow me out and make me happy. and the whole all eyez on me cd. i dunno if any of that helps, everyone has diff music tastes but definately stay away from any depressing music. when my friends are depressed i say are you listening to the radio and they say yeah, and i ask what song, and they always tell me some depressing song and i say turn that crap off right now that is part of the problem! so hopefully that helps a litttle
Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a short list but
HAMMOCK 'Departure Songs' and 'Chasing Ghost, Living in Shadows'
MOGWAI 'Happy Songs for Happy People'
DAN HARTMAN 'New Green, Clear Blue'
all great ambient chill stuff... repeatively have brought me outta the emotional meltdowns

then there's Trent Reznor's masterpiece NIN 'Still', an absolute stunning perfect portrail of the struggle and redemption of addiction
NIN 'The Fragile' is a close second

finally FAITH NO MORE's 'Angel Dust', if you've truly been through it all...
you'll get it

=^.^=
Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
One of my friend's husband got really into classic jazz when he got clean.
yep gimme some John Coltrane
only awesome
=^.^=
Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Ill have to check all this out appreciate it
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NOWisNOW View Post
a short list but
HAMMOCK 'Departure Songs' and 'Chasing Ghost, Living in Shadows'
MOGWAI 'Happy Songs for Happy People'
DAN HARTMAN 'New Green, Clear Blue'
all great ambient chill stuff... repeatively have brought me outta the emotional meltdowns

then there's Trent Reznor's masterpiece NIN 'Still', an absolute stunning perfect portrail of the struggle and redemption of addiction
NIN 'The Fragile' is a close second

finally FAITH NO MORE's 'Angel Dust', if you've truly been through it all...
you'll get it

=^.^=
better skip over downward spiral though just in case he checks the back catalog lol, that cd will make anyone high when they are sober lol
Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bring me the horizons "thats the spirit" and "sempiternal" were written during the singers sobriety getting off of drugs.
run is a dope ass song
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
better skip over downward spiral though just in case he checks the back catalog lol, that cd will make anyone high when they are sober lol
Bahahahahahaahahhahaahahahaa

Nice
=^.^=
Old 01-09-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you could try some of U2's early stuff like the "Boy" album. it's class
Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paddyjnr1 View Post
you could try some of u2's early stuff like the "boy" album. It's class
unforgettable fire...
Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread. Music and I are almost one and the same, it feels like as I've usually got a tune kicking around in my head and sometimes can't get rid of it. Was brought up on country, folk, bluegrass, gospel, but loved pop and rock-especially '80's rock. Parents didn't approve of rock, but I loved it anyways especially as workout music...something with a good strong beat. Hard driving bluegrass is pretty hard to take lying down and makes me want to get up and groove. "But bluegrass is SO morbid and such a downer", some people say....I can see that side of things for sure...but I think the origins of many music was/is a way to 'deal'. Death, morbidity, mourning, hard times, lyin', cheatin', vindication, sex, love gone wrong, raging jealously, jail, graveyards, you name it, that about covers it, but because it is played with a hard-driving up-tempo, it's hardly depressing really. Most rock and rollers have respect for bluegrass pickers. Trippy walking into a bluegrass festival and running into David Grisman (Grateful Dead) jammin' on his mandolin with regular folks....trippy.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will jump in. Right now I am into heavier music. Been clean AND sober going on 4 years now. I honestly just love music though. I could go from Death metal to bluegrass to 80's to rock in my playlist at anytime. I know Creed gets a bad rap, but I remember listening to them a lot when I was in a 30-day treatment program. Scott Stapp solo stuff is good too (yes he went off the deep end). Anyway check out Creed's greatest hits - uplifting and real as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dig Creed!!
Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep. I am not a music snob. I have been to over 20 Dead show and 30 Phish shows - grew up on Rap and House Music (Chicago go figure). There are supposed RULES to music, but I have no rules. If it sounds good and provokes a feeling in me regardless of the "genre" I don't care.

Another Good Stapp song. Yeah some call it Christian Rock, but whatever.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Some tracks on my playlist right now,

altJ - Something Good
M83 - Reunion
Touch Sensitive - Pizza Gang
Otis Taylor - Nasty Letter
Yeasayer - 2080
Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thx for posting those vids. Enjoyed them!

Reminds me of Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When You Come Back Down.

(nickel creek)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5-VUDcjJ8

A good-bye song and a hello song...
Old 01-09-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great Tune TeaTree. Never heard of them, but will have to check out some more. Reminds me a bit of Mumford and Sons (I know everyone knows them now), but real honest music. Here is an uplifting tune for YA! Tomorrow I might be posting music from Lamb of God so enjoy it while is lasts!!! :-)