SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Third Step-Turning It over What does this step mean to you (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/141513-third-step-turning-over-what-does-step-mean-you.html)

Spiritual Seeker 01-12-2008 05:39 PM

Third Step-Turning It over What does this step mean to you

I am working step 3 (again)
Real recovery begins when a decision is made to "let go" of living our lives our way, and turning it over to a power greater than ourselves.
What does turning over mean? What do you think is the intent of step 3 ?
It is not like turning over a board to inspect the bugs on the bottom side, but rather the word refers to the transfer of possession and control....

best 01-12-2008 05:47 PM

I found I needed to give away control to gain control.

He who tried to save his life shall loss it but he who gives up his life shall gain.

Doesn't make sense but most of life tends to be that way.
What I do know is when I let go and allowed God...my who life changed.

Brewster 01-12-2008 06:51 PM

What best says, plus:

I was using my DOC to have a mental/emotional state that was a known quality. I erronously enjoyed not dealing with my soul's reactions to things. I didn't like and felt uncomfortable with my natural reactions to life events. As a result I was seeking to control my life through the use of my DOC.

For me, step three means accepting that there may be uncomfortable moments each day and realizing that it is unhealthy not to pay attention to my inborn reactions to things. I feel that there are important messages from my subconcious (higher power if that suits ya) that are revealing who I am and how I am relating to the people and events in my life.

When I was high I could avoid these messages. So now at 20+ months sober I am learning to live again and accept the happy reactions and the not so great ones as they come. I've given over control to my higher power.

That and I try not to think so much.

Spiritual Seeker 01-12-2008 07:14 PM

Brewster- well said that step 3 is a giving up of our "known quality" and accepting things as they come. Congrats on 20 mos. sober
BEST- "I needed to give away control to gain control" that is the exact conclusion I am coming to. All the control I thought I had is just an illusion. I was not only trying to be my own HP but my family member's HP too. It took me a long time, but thank GOD I know that is false. That thinking was really the source of much of the conflict.

Brewster 01-12-2008 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Spiritual Seeker;1636268] I was not only trying to be my own HP but my family member's HP too.QUOTE]

Yeah, that's it. Same for me.

emmer 01-12-2008 08:23 PM

let go and let God

PeachyClean 01-12-2008 10:26 PM

It means stop focusing on my problems & feeling sorry for myself and do the next right thing.

It was about having faith in knowing that if I did not use, things would work out for the better. It also had to do with becoming realistic about what was and wasn't my obligation or duty to correct, change, or control.