Notices

Melatonin

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Question Melatonin

Has anyone had any experience with taking Melatonin to help them sleep. I have been taking Tylenol PM and I know its not good for the liver, then I switch to Ibprofen (sp) PM and it tears my stomach up. If anyone has any knowlege or experience, let me know.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sandi -

I took melatonin a few years ago and it did help me sleep but caused me to have very vivid dreams. I don't think they were nightmares but my stepbrother said it gave him nightmares. That is the worst side effect I've heard of, and in my case it wasn't too bad. I haven't tried it again with my insomnia but I've decided I'm just not going to be able to sleep during the day as long as other people are in the house.

And as far as the "pm" drugs....the ingredient that makes you sleepy is benadryl. If you look on all the pm drugs, you will see the ingredient "diphenhydramine" which is the generic for benadryl.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sandi...I took Melatonin in rehab and for a few weeks upon discharge. The DR there said to buy the kind that was "pharmacuetical {sp?} grade" which, I think, means it doesn't have any animal by-products? {not sure about that}

It seemed to work pretty well for me but I was also taking alot of warm baths so that helped alot too.

Good luck finding something that works for you...I know the Tylenol PM isn't that good for your liver but if you only use it every now and then, it shouldn't hurt.
I would also hit up the local Healthfood store as they usually have several good options to try!
Good luck!
Jane
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've taken it on occasion, and the only side-effect I noticed was a slight headache in the morning, but I have allergies & often wake up with a headache, so it could have been the allergies, not the melatonin.

I use black cohosh for post-menopausal symptoms, and the formula I'm using now contains valerian root. It helps me sleep, and I've noticed no side effects at all. As a matter of fact, since I switched to this formula, not only do I fall asleep easier (no "knock out" effect -- just an ease into sleep), but I stay asleep, whereas before, I was up at least once during the night, sometimes for several hours.

The only time I take benadryl is when my allergies are unbearable. It is habit forming, and it can be abused.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used it and it did nothing for me.I came into the world with abnormal sleep habits.I'll get raked for this one but ambein is what i use and it works for me. I can quit taking them and my sleep habaits will return almost in a week.which is sleeping all day and staying up all night.Without the ambien I cannot function in a normal society.I give them to my wife an she gives me one a night keeps the rest in a small safe that I dont know the combo to.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Stand At The Turning Point

I have a fair bit of experience with melatonin. Basically its a hormonal precursor that occurs naturally in the brain and leads to sleepiness (not a groggy/druggy sleepiness like most sleep aids, otc or script). You could think of it like Seratonins sleepy second cousin. Anyways the point is its all 'natural', and since its only a PRECURSOR, it is classified as a dietary supplement/vitamin (like that 5HTP stuff people take for various reasons) and can be purchased otc at any walmart or any store with a decent vitamin aisle. In no way were these habbit forming to me, and i only took them occasionally after i had a good sleep cycle down.

Tabs usually come in 300 mcg(MICROGRAMS) and i have found personally i only need about half that or less to obtain the desired results, be able to fall asleep and not be too groggy when i wake up. But these are one of those things that really affect everyone differently, so it may take a bit of experimenting to find your optimal dose. Also there is a chance these dont work for you, if that is the case and the tylenol pms DO work for you but you are worried about the liver, then i suggest buying the active sleep aid ingredient in tylenol pm, by itself. Since, afterall, its is the tylenol that is bad for your liver, and you dont even need the tylenol, u just want to sleeep! Anyways Tylenol PM active sleep ingredient is diphenhydramine, you can usually find that in the same aisle as tylenol pm and it goes by many generic names that usually have the word 'sleep' in it. These guys just got the sleep stuff, no tylenol or extra unneeded junk. Its also alot 'safer' without the tylenol. Just be careful cuz no matter how much johnson &johnson denies it this stuff CAN be habit forming, especially for an addict.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Content with my past

I have took Tylenol PM every nite since I got clean and I started on the melatonin a few days ago but it wasnt doing anything. I went to the pharmacy and they told me you can take up to 10mg, the pills I have are 3mg each, so I took 3 last and did go to sleep but did have dreams, which they were ok, but woke up with a headache and had to take Tylenol after all. I am going to give it a few nites and then I might try to not take anything and see if I can take nothing at all.
This question is for the woman, sorry guys, do any of you ladies a week before that "time" do you have night sweats? I am only 39 but my mom went through menopause at 40 and I dont know if maybe I am getting close to going thru that. All of my symptoms are 1 week prior to starting. I also am more emotional then I have ever been also. I hate waking up wet and cold. If you got any feedback it would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

melatonin never did work for me. if you quit taking tylenol pm and other sleep aids it'll be tough to sleep for a night or two but then you will actually sleep better after all that garbage is out of your system. a new mattress is probably what you really need. i got one and i sleep much better.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I regularly take melatonin at bedtime to help me sleep and have found quite a difference - I take a formula that has a good dose of vitamin B12 in it, and that's helped too.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by newsandi View Post
This question is for the woman, sorry guys, do any of you ladies a week before that "time" do you have night sweats? I am only 39 but my mom went through menopause at 40 and I dont know if maybe I am getting close to going thru that. All of my symptoms are 1 week prior to starting. I also am more emotional then I have ever been also. I hate waking up wet and cold. If you got any feedback it would be appreciated.
I don't know about a week before, Sandi. I went through surgical menopause at 28, more than eleven years ago. The hot flashes & night sweats began almost immediately. I took Premarin for eleven years, stopping in May of this year, and again, I went through all the symptoms I did at 28, only worse. I take black cohosh and vitamin E, and the symptoms have decreased both in frequency and duration (the hot flashes & irritability). If I run out of it, within a day or two, the symptoms are back with a vengeance.

I woke up several times last night just soaked, thinking I was having hot flashes, when finally, at 4am, I went downstairs & checked the thermostat. One of the kids had jacked it up to 74, with made it about 80 in my bedroom, and under a down comforter, I felt like I was in a sauna!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I woke up after dreaming about the x wife in a cold sweat once.
Melitonin does help me but i have troubles taking the recommended amount....I have a bad habit of abusing anything shaped like a pill.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I've been having night sweats and I don't have a vagina. What's the dealio?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I Stand At The Turning Point

Originally Posted by newsandi View Post
I have took Tylenol PM every nite since I got clean and I started on the melatonin a few days ago but it wasnt doing anything. I went to the pharmacy and they told me you can take up to 10mg, the pills I have are 3mg each, so I took 3 last and did go to sleep but did have dreams, which they were ok, but woke up with a headache and had to take Tylenol after all. I am going to give it a few nites and then I might try to not take anything and see if I can take nothing at all.
One really weird thing about melatonin, is it is only/most effective if you are 'in the bedtime mood' Its not the type of thing u can be all strung out on and help sleep with, benzos/otc aids are best for that. But melatonin works best when you have a calm state of mind, and arent around light (daylight or artifical). Just keep that in mind.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

damn Windy, did someone steal your vagina???? Lol, just kidding I know you are full male full of testosterone and full of S**t...........Again, kidding, totally kidding, Im no male basher, love you fellers!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am thinking of trying melatonin, too. I will let you know if it works for me..... Hey Sug, what do you mean less is not more?? I didnt fully understand that, but you always have a way of explainin things so I can understand them (in a forrest gump voice, lol)
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've tried melatonin but it did nothing for me. From what I'm reading I guess I wasn't taking enough. After 15 years of working nights I have no sleep schedule. Add to that hubby's and the dog's snoring and I am awake all night. I have used herbal type things such as valerian root and kava kava compounds and those work pretty well too. I think I'll try the melatonin in the proper dosage.

I'll get raked for this one but ambein is what i use and it works for me.
I'm sorry, but we all have our problems and one thing I know is that not sleeping is depression waiting to happen for me. So above all else I need to sleep. If that means I have to take something, natural or prescribed, then I take it. If I'm depressed, I WILL drink.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

As an aside, I assume you take no caffeine after 12 noon? That is a good way to remain sleepless later in the evening.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ADVERSE EFFECTS

Because there haven't been enough studies or research done, no one knows what adverse effects might occur from long term use. Short term effects noted by some users include vivid, frightening nightmares, headaches and mild depression, along with morning grogginess and a bit of confusion. Although some mothers with cranky, over tired children might well be tempted to try melatonin, it should never be administered to children. Young bodies always have an abundance of the hormone, and it can increase the frequency and severity of seizures in children prone to this malady and even occasionally cause them.

In fact, unless there is an underlying reason like chronic insomnia or chronic fatigue syndrome, (when sleep is never restful) no one under 40 should need to take melatonin. It is wisest never to take melatonin except under medical supervision.

Melatonin

Warnings!

There is the possibility that increasing the amount of melatonin in the body might disrupt the body's own production of the hormone. Altering the amount of one hormone in the body often alters the body's own production of other hormones. In the case of increasing melatonin, the hormone prolactin may also increase. This causes enlarged breasts and decreases the sex drive, which completely negates the claim that melatonin enhances the sex life.

Melatonin is often administered in far too high a dosage. When this happens, the hormone remains in the blood stream and can cause daytime drowsiness, confusion and that headachy, hangover feeling. In some cases, too high a dose can even cause insomnia, the exact opposite of the result hoped for.

A dosage as small as one mg. or even less can cause drowsiness.

WARNING!

Do not take a melatonin supplement:

* if you are pregnant.
* if you are nursing.
* if you suffer from sever allergies or auto immune disease.
* if you suffer from an immune system cancer.
* if you are a woman trying to conceive.
* if you suffer from a severe mental disease.
* if you are taking steroid-type medication.
* if you are taking MAO inhibitors.
* if you suffer from epilepsy.

Melatonin
Old 12-27-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you know, I am HOOKEd on sweet tea, and drink it all day long...... maybe i will switch to water after noon...... ALSO, I take lamictal, I am at the 50mg a day mark right now...... does anyone have any experience with insomnia and lamictal??? And do you think its safe to take lamictal with melatonin or Valerian Root?? I only have 5 bucks to my name, which is best.....sug says melatonin, and its cheaper, anyone else?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Content with my past

EricPaul, God you are freaking me out! I am thinking if I can take something natural like this, its got to be better then me taking the Tylenol or Advil. I am 39 so close to 40 so thats not a problem. I had some dreams last nite but they were ok dreams. I had a slight headache but I wake up with one once in awhile. I know when I took it last nite it really felt like I went to sleep real calmly compared to the PM products where I kind of feel out of it and then sleep. I will give it a few days and see what I think. But I will eventually not take anything but at this point in my life I need something. I recently started taking a really good multi vitamin for woman and I feel a difference and I get B12 shots every month. I am working out so I feel in time I can get back to sleeping without anything. Just got to give it some time.