Notices

My friends wedding..

Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My friends wedding..

Oh my,

Sat down at the ceremony; was depressing due to some marital problems (don't want to discuss them)..

Smoked some cigs during cocktail hour.. One of my friends brought me over a gin and tonic that I didn't even ask for (was my favorite drink)...took one sip (honestly) and realized what the h-ck am I doing??

Went to sit down at my table.. was the only one unaccompenied (sp) , there was enough alcohol to sink a ship, beer wine, mixed drinks all over my table.. called my dad to pick me up.... Left before appetizers (sp) were served..

I may have 6 months (I'm still in EARLY recovery)..

Although I am a recovering opiate and benzo abuser; alcohol was a problem in the past; didn't want to develop an alcohol problem again..

When I got home my mom was dissappointed that I smelled like cigs (LOL).. I told her would you rather me come back wreaking (sp) of alcohol? She said nothing..

I smoked at the wedding but don't have the urge to smoke now..

Stopped the habit 8/31/07..

In my opinion you have to wait untill you have AT LEAST 1 year if not MORE to be around people drinking...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you took care of yourself and got a ride out of there. Well done.

I went to a wedding when I had two years sober (the first time around). My date knew I was in recovery but started drinking A LOT before the reception - by the time dinner was served, everyone was glowing and I was feeling the walls close in.

Ran for a phone, got a ride, and away I went. I won't put myself in that situation again. I think it will be a long time before I am comfortable socially around alcohol.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

It still bothers me sometimes, Liz. I guess it depends on my state of mind going into it. You mentioned some marital problems. I wouldn't doubt if that had a lot to do with your discomfort around alcohol. Then again, I have heard stories that started, "I don't know what happened. I was happy when I got there, but everyone was drinking and having a good time..."

For me? I have one rule in situations like that. I must have someone sober with me. If nothing else, we can sit back together and quietly make fun of the drunks (some of whom are not funny, but even the sad ones make for a lot of gratitude). If I can't abide by that rule, which happens on occasion, I keep an escape route open. By calling your dad to pick you up, you did that.

I can't say anything about the cigarettes. I haven't hurt badly enough to make the decision to quit, though I keep rolling it around in my head. Funny, a friend who's about three months off of them told me he had one the other day and it made him sick. He was so happy about that! I'm sure you're grateful the craving for them hasn't returned.

Oh, and if you're worried about hurting anyone's feelings because you took off, you can always say, "I wasn't feeling well." If you re-read your post, I think you'll agree it wouldn't be a lie.

Glad you're sober, Liz.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The marital problems probably did have allot to do with it..

One of my friends husbands cut a business trip short; to accompany her.. He flew in from Hong-Kong the night before.. The wedding was in NY; my husband could have taken a 2 and a half hour trip from Florida to accompany me.. But again; I'm not going to discuss marital problems..

I'm just glad I left.. I could have drank my G+T's and danced the night away. Would have felt like complete Cr#P this morning.. Clean time ruined..

I told the bride I was leaving; she was so drunk she probably won't even remember I left early; LOL..
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats --that is a HUGE accomplishment and I am very proud of you. I have a friend in recovery that flew 1000 miles to a wedding and found himself with the urges to drink with 20 years sobriety and he walked 11 miles in the dark back to his hotel--taxi would have been smarter -- I still battle with the whole DRINKING/ Pills thing. I have relapsed a few times with pills and have never had a drinking problem --Take it or leave it. Pills were always my problem. I am in the process of getting clean right now again and I think that I will be TOTALLY CLEAN this time.