Notices

Help Me Understand the Xanax Addict

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Help Me Understand the Xanax Addict

I've read so many posts about addicts in general, they are selfish, not capable of a r/ship.

I recently ended my r/ship with a xanax addict, as I'm realizing he was an all over substance abuser. He was doctor prescribed xanax as his doctor upped his dosage for 3 straight yrs...not sure how much. But he says he's taken up to 10-15 pills a day.
The odd thing about pills is that I felt like he reacted on them differently each day. Not like pot, where you smoke a joint and you are high. Or you shoot up and are sooo high. Or your drunk so you can't walk...or slurr your speech.

Xanax is so tricky b/c it's different if it's 2 or 4 or 10 pills. And did he smoke with it? Drink with it? Was his anxiety kicking in?

One week ago I FINALLY got him off to rehab, he had sobered himself up completely clean for 8 days before he left. A huge accomplishment! Only to recieve a letter froma female stating she had "gone out w/ him" twice during a weekend i refused to see while on drugs.

He barely remembers...so he says. My question for those xanax addicts is...what is like? Do you have memory problems....do you lie & cheat like "other addicts" I hate to be so general but it's odd to see him having a conversation & driving but not remember meeting certain people.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Selah,
I've some experience w/abusing 'xanny bars' as we called them. We often mixed it with liquor, which makes you black out. I also took them with LSD, which helps take the edge off the trip.
I know xanax can be addictive, and they can cause you to do things you have no recollection of doing.
Wait for more experienced users to tell you the real deal.
Best,
Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, Xanax alone, even without alcohol, and even in small doses, made me blackout or at least "greyout" at times. Taken with alcohol I would usually completely blackout.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Xanax causing memory loss?

I lost whole months.

Drink on xanax you could lose whole years.

Yep, if he was on high doses and drank then he was a bumbling bubblehead with a hamster brain.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Hello Selah,
I was on Benzos(incl. Xanax)for years, always combined with alcohol. I have serious memory problems regarding many years.
I was also accused of a 'relationship' of which I am almost certain did not cross any lines.
I am very confused in that sense. Sometimes I just don't know!
If it's only twice, my advice would be, give him the benefit of the doubt.
Benzos made me a person I do not know.
It's loads better now.
Good luck to you....
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lying and cheating aren't drug specific behaviors; rather, they are active addiction behaviors.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Benzos have never been my problem, but I am an addict; and while, yes an addict's behavior can be selfish and yes they can have trouble with relationships; however, I do take some offense to your opening statement. When not in active addiction, I am none of those things. I also just celebrated my 20 year wedding anniversary.

All I'm saying, is, if you're not an addict yourself, please tread carefully wording what an addict is/isn't. We deal with enough shame and guilt every day as it is.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Lying and cheating aren't drug specific behaviors; rather, they are active addiction behaviors.
Yes, this is true. Benzos are good for totally blacking out too.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face

I did mean to offend rather to go straight to the source. I came on here originally b/c my abf was one of the most wonderful people i've ever met. And I did not want to generalize him....as I stated these are things I've READ.

With all due respect, one of the things my xabf has trouble with is accepting things that addict become. Not that they are but what they are capable of doing and what he has done.

Even now in rehab he states "but i'm not like these people" b/c most are 20 yrs his senior and have struggled for life. He forgets that two weeks before he left he went on a "joy ride" with a friend for pot. And ended up in a house in detroit where people were shooting up heroin in the living room and free basing in the kitchen. I wouldn't been terrified...he was so xanax-ed out he wasn't phased until the next day.

I sincerely apologize, I wasn't trying to generalize - only get insight to do the opposite - individualize. I can't possibly understand a day in the life of...

Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Benzos have never been my problem, but I am an addict; and while, yes an addict's behavior can be selfish and yes they can have trouble with relationships; however, I do take some offense to your opening statement. When not in active addiction, I am none of those things. I also just celebrated my 20 year wedding anniversary.

All I'm saying, is, if you're not an addict yourself, please tread carefully wording what an addict is/isn't. We deal with enough shame and guilt every day as it is.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

No problem. I'm not sure what your question really is? Xanax does cause blackouts in high doses. If he's a real addict then, yes, he'll lie/cheat/steal. He'll do despicable things.

About his not being like other people......here is a story.

I was detoxing in a psych unit. Crazy people all around me. I told my counselor that I "wasn't like all the crazy people in this nuthouse".

He told me that I was no better than the worst psychiatric basket case in the place.

He was right.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Selah, it's OK. I'm still in pretty early recovery so I can be a litttle touchy. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

all I can say is thank you, for years I have trying to figure out why I was losing my mind!!!! now it is nice to know the pill they have been treating my depression with is doing it!!!! Calling Doc in am!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wow...well at least we helped somone
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Really serious about this I called the dr this am and he said it was a side effect he didn't realize I had, it is a common side effect that is ALLERGIC reaction to it, he wants to try me on something different now, thank God!! I broke straight now and cried like a baby, I told him I thought all of my drinking and druggin days were paying me back by forgetting everything, can't tell you how many times I have locked the keys in my house or trucks!!!! Within minutes I would forget something but I could remember things from years ago. It is quite scarry especially when you have a ton of other **** going on in your life!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chris38NYC

I don't get it? I've been prescribed 1mg a day for over a year now. 2 months ago I went on a 5 day business trip, and on the plane realized I forgot my xanax at home, I was a little shaky but by no means unmanagable, the project I managed went fine...had a stammer in a word or 2 but that's what I was like before it, other than that no side effects, no seizures, etc... this is just my experience though.

Now vicodin withdrawal, thats a whole 'nother story!

Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I to have to agree with Chris how my daily xanax has affected myself. I have been taking 1 mg. at night before bed and use as needed during the day, just depends whether I have a panic attack or not or just get nervous over something that particular day. I have gone days without needing it at all and never have had any side effects. To me it works very effectively and immediately if I need to have it and have used it like this for about a year and a half. Everyone is different as with diffferent meds for different bodies.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
I don't get it? I've been prescribed 1mg a day for over a year now. 2 months ago I went on a 5 day business trip, and on the plane realized I forgot my xanax at home, I was a little shaky but by no means unmanagable, the project I managed went fine...had a stammer in a word or 2 but that's what I was like before it, other than that no side effects, no seizures, etc... this is just my experience though.

Now vicodin withdrawal, thats a whole 'nother story!

Chris

yep, some people freak and go into seizures. some people do fine. benzos are weird dope.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it has some to do with abuse as well. If you're taking just 1mg before bed...
vs. been taking 4-5, sometimes up to 8 pills daily for many years...and drinking alcohol. it's so scary...
and the withdrawls..the seriousness happens about 3 days after you've stopped taking xanax. in my experience anyway.
and yes my abf was given anti-seizure medication/anti-dillusional medication that pretty much made him go back to sleep. He literally had to ask me if things were real. Did we do this? are my parents eating at the bottom of the stairs? Once he asked me if I still had my vagina, thought a doctor "took it out" (dead serious)....that was the only one i ever giggled at
Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I think it has some to do with abuse as well. If you're taking just 1mg before bed...
vs. been taking 4-5, sometimes up to 8 pills daily for many years...and drinking alcohol. it's so scary...
and the withdrawls..the seriousness happens about 3 days after you've stopped taking xanax. in my experience anyway.
and yes my abf was given anti-seizure medication/anti-dillusional medication that pretty much made him go back to sleep. He literally had to ask me if things were real. Did we do this? are my parents eating at the bottom of the stairs? Once he asked me if I still had my vagina, thought a doctor "took it out" (dead serious)....that was the only one i ever giggled at
god forbid the doctor take your vagina away.......that's one SCARY hallucination !

LOL
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That **** (when detoxing from big amounts) cause insanity.. I was going to hide under a kitchen till the world ended.
I thought it was a very reasonable idea at the time..
detoxing from small amounts isn't bad ... mostly fluish feeling and a bit jittery
detoxing from large amounts is total insanity & pure hell.
25mg a day detox ....... I wouldn't even wish this on bin laden believe it or not.