Notices

Will Suboxone test positive on a drug test?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will Suboxone test positive on a drug test?

I have been on Suboxone since March and I am interviewing for a new job which requires a drug screen (urinalyisis) will I test positive for opiates?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
help123

Ya most likely. I am on methadone. And I did a ua, after 2 days of taking it and it came up in the ua. And I think suboxone is kind of the same make up as methadone! good luck on ur interview!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alycia View Post
Ya most likely. I am on methadone. And I did a ua, after 2 days of taking it and it came up in the ua. And I think suboxone is kind of the same make up as methadone! good luck on ur interview!!!
Nope, suboxone is a derivative of thebaine, part of the opium poppy, however, my experience is that it has to be specifically tested for in order to test positive. Most generic drug screens will register THC,heroin, coke, etc. I'm surprised that the methadone registered positive. If a more extensive test, such as one for perscription drugs, is given then probably, yes. It all depends on where you're applying and how concerned they are (i.e. how detailed of a test they wanna give) I mean if its a test for a police department you're screwed, but for a job at home depot you're prolly OK.
Good luck
Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

No, normally it doesn't. I agree.

Becky
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ranaynay, and welcome. Best to check with the prescribing physician for this kind of info and not rely on our non-expert opinions. Good luck with your interview!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would let the lab know of your medication.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: 24/7 How Am I gonna Get claen, when Doctors don't help me?
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ranaynay View Post
I have been on Suboxone since March and I am interviewing for a new job which requires a drug screen (urinalyisis) will I test positive for opiates?
Yes you will, but the urine will break down what type you see, let say you doing Herion? it will show that and Burephine sp? be honest, if you are on maint with this your job? they can call your doctor, bottom line they will see this and best to be upfront.

I wish you luck in all area's and hope that you have been only on the suboxone.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
help123

Mr. Hyde, I think it showed up on mine cuz I was going in the methadone clinic, that is why I said ya, sorry guys!!! That tells u, that we don't know everything, best is a docs advice!!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

no,no,no,and no.it WILL NOT show up on a ua drug screen,even if they use the most expensive one to test.there is a test that will show the suboxone in a ua but it costs hundreds of dollars and is hard to even get.i guarnatee that suboxone will not show up on your test so do not worry and dont tell them about it as it might hurt your chance of gettin the job,trust me on this.good luck-spark
Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another interesting topic. I went out on the web and found this page. Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see that the posts here seem to be pointing in the right direction.

The page:

http://www.willowlaboratories.com/services.html

The verbiage:

5 Panel:
Amphetamines
Cocaine
Opiates
PCP
THC

9 Panel:
The 5 Panel tests plus:
Barbiturates
Benozodiazepines
Methadone
Propoxyphene

*12 Panel:
The 9 panel test, plus:
Ecstasy
Oxycodone
Buprenorphine

*The 12 panel test, plus alcohol, is used by many physicians who are treating their Opioid dependent patients.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are that worried about it, maybe you can get a letter from your doctor stating that you are taking the suboxone for a legitimate medical reason? They are not allowed to inquire further, so that should cover you just in case. Maybe you could keep the note in your pocket so you have it if it comes up, but no one will know if it doesn't? Just a thought...
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. It did not show up on the ua. I didn't list it as a medication -- this is a new employer and I have been clean since March 1st and really didn't want to go down that road (explaining everything) with the new place if I didn't have to.

They lost my sample so I was sweating it out for a day or two - but I called my Dr. and called the Suboxone number and they assured me it wouldn't show up - only if they were testing just for Sub. Still, I was nervous!

If it had shown up I was going to tell my story and have them call my Dr. if they had questions, but at this point I am tired of telling my story and just wanted to not have to - know what I mean?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Congrats
Good Luck on the new Job
Old 07-21-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent news. Getting back to work has been a big help for my recovery. I hope it goes well for you.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good job,dont tell nobody nothin if you dont have to.suboxone will not show up in a ua as i assured you in the other post.good luck-spark
Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So suboxone doesnt show up as an opiate?? I wish I had known that before my husband went to work furlough. He stopped taking vicodin (had a 20-30 pill a day habit for years) and went on suboxone for like 4-5 days and then stopped that as well when he went into work furlough. He only takes xanax now for anxiety and to sleep but I think he should still be on suboxone for a while during his stay and treatment. I wonder if they do the test that would show it though??
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ooops. I made a mistake. He was on Subutex, not suboxone. Its pretty much the same thing though it just doesnt have the Naloxolone or whatever it is.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was very worried about suboxone showing on the drug test I have to take for a new job. I'm still alittle nervous but not even close to how worried I was before reading all of your posts. Thank you all. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you all succeed in beating this.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Didn't show up in mine, and I have a high-powered clearance...so good luck. My doc told me it would only show up if they were testing specifically for it, and that is done usu. only if they suspect it. And why would they suspect that anyways? In my experience, it really is hard to tell if someone is taking it unless they are taking a real heavy dose, like 16 mg. Then they do seem a little bit spacey and sleepy, at least the two I know who are on that dose.

But no, it shouldn't show up unless you are like, trying out for the olympics. It doesn't get tested for at most randoms and employment screens, including most police, fire dept, and etc. I would probably list it on the drug screen list if it was a normal job, like something administrative, cashier, accounting, or clerical. I don't think they could discriminate against you for it in those type of jobs. And most people who aren't addicts and don't deal with addicts don't know what bupe is. They wouldn't likely look into it, esp. if you put it in a list with tylenol and claritin, for example.

But, maybe I wouldn't tell if I was going for a job where driving, shooting, or stuff like that was required, because they might be able to not hire you based on the fact that it could be considered as a medication that makes you sleepy (really if you are on the most common doseage, and you are used to the medication, that doesn't pose "sleepy" problems for most of us) In that case, if it was me, I would hold onto my prescription and only bring it out if it was discovered. Then I would say I was taking it off-label for depression, which it is being clinically tested for in trials. I would say that I was part of the trials for it. But that's just the strategy that my doc and I worked out, you should talk to your doc to work out your own. It's important to have options ahead of time, I think, just for your peace of mind.
KJ
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nope, bupe doesn't show up as an opiate on a screening, neither does oxy/hydrocodone. That's basically because they're not opiates, they're opioids, meaning they are (in general) synthetically derived, using complex chemical processes, from the thebaine component of the opium poppy. As opposed to being codeine or morphine (or very simple derivatives thereof), which are technically the only drugs that are opiates.

Lots of good info above on this topic. It basically costs a LOT more for companies to test for opioids vs. opiates, so they typically don't do it.

And for the record, I think drug testing in general is f***ing fascist bull***t. The only reason I think they're justified is if you're like an air traffic controller, or drive/pilot a commercial vehicle, like a bus, a plane, or a big rig. But a drug test to work at Home Depot or Walmart?!? F*** that, man. They can stick their crappy job up their you-know-what's as far as I'm concerned.