Notices

Insomia & Tramadol withdrawal

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomia & Tramadol withdrawal

I've been taking Ultram for about a year with some periods were I was not. As much as 1000mg a day but for the last month only about 250 a day and sometimes less. I was attempting to tapper off and then finally just stopped due to an inability to get any pills. The initial withdrawal for me sucked but was tolerable except for the extreme insomnia. I mean that no matter what I do I can't fall a sleep until after 4am. And then I only sleep for a maximum of about 3-4 hours. Sometimes less. I'm seeking a solution. I've tried homeopathy, OTC sleeping pills are an antihistamine that keeps me awake, one night I got to sleep at 2 am but that took 2 Tamazepams (Ristoril a prescription strength sleeping pill) and some alcohol on top of that. I simply can't keep going without sleep and frankly don't know what to do.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums.

I am going to assume you have been to see a regular doctor. I am not sure if your main problem is withdrawals or insomnia or both but whatever it is you need to see a medical expert.

I have no experience with withdrawal from tramadol but I am sure others will be along soon. In the meantime perhaps you could check out our 'Insomia" forum and see if you can pick up some suggestions on what to do about your sleeplessness.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ia-nightmares/
Old 07-15-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Please see your healthcare professional. I went through the same thing for about three weeks until I finally could not take it anymore. I used a prescription sleep medication for a few days until I got back on a regular sleep schedule.
I know how intolerable it is. Ask for help from your doctor, please. And, from one who knows, self medication with alcohol can be the quickest route to full blown alcoholism for an addict.
Best,
Bear
Old 07-15-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, Tramadol disrupts your cicadiam rhythm (sp)? Your sleep may be screwed up for a while.

Liz
Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks

Just trying to find anything I could on the subject.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the above, a doctor should be able to help here.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jollygosh,

I forgot to add that you shouldn't mix Restoril with alcohol.

You are also probably experiencing PAWS (Postacutewithdrawal); one of the major symptoms is insomnia.

Best of Luck to you..

Liz