Notices

Phentermine addict?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Phentermine addict?

I hope I am not wasting anyone's time as I have not seen anyone else post on this issue. I have actually googled this and can not find anything about phentermine addiction so, I am hoping someone here can help me or at least validate to me that this is real and not in my mind.

So, I am 22 and married with two boys. I started seeing a diet dr. (I think he is a quack) over a year ago. He prescribed 30 mg of phen. I started losing weight, could cook, clean get everything done and still have the energy to be a sex goddess in the bedroom. Well, I lost the 30 pounds I started them for but kept taking them. The effect started to wear off also so I started taking 2 to 3 to even 4 a day at times. Of course the month supply the Dr. gave me started running out quickly so I started ordering them from the internet. When I am without them I feel like I can't do anything. All I want to do is eat and sleep and I feel like I can't move from my couch.
I got off the pills for a couple of months straight but went right back to them because I never shook the feeling of being exhausted. I have lied to my husband about where the money is going for the pills but I know he knows. He has told me that I am a mean person on these pills and he doesn’t want me to take them so I have tried to hide it from him.
I feel like now I need a pill any pill to get me through the day to be productive, I have taken Ritalin and vicodins for energy when I was out of the diet pills.
I hope someone can help get some info on this and get out of this cycle I feel so lost and ashamed and since I am not addicted to something that is talked about it feels even more shameful.

Well thanks for reading this long post if you got through it. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

actually abuse of diet pills is quite common, and you will see frequent postings about them on some other forums. they are a stimulant, and people take them for the same reasons you did

i also abused phentermine, as well as adipex, adderall, ritalin, vicodin, tramadol....anything that would keep me going.
rehab would be a good option, if not....then you just have to get through the exhaustion. it might take a few months for your body to regain your natural energy, since it has been "fake" for so long, but it will eventually
it is not shameful by any means...a lot of pill addicts are like us, addicted to ANY pill. hell, i abused st johns wort, lol
good you are talking about it
Old 02-22-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about the drug you're talking about, but of course you're not wasting anyon'es time here!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Phentermine is an amphetamine. Yes, it's a controlled substance, and it's very abusable.
Please talk to your doctor and get the help you need. You're on a dark road to nowhere but grief.
I wish you well.

Shalom!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

This was my drug of choice.....it is a hard one to detox from but you do it...it does take alot of time to get back to normal energy wise
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome hope!
People get addicted to all kinds of drugs so that is nothing to be ashamed off!
Mine was Vicoden and I abused it for the energy purposes too.
Once I commited to getting off them by detoxing in rehab the energy slowly but surely came back as did the realiseation that I was a much more pleasant person to be around without them!!

Find a PLAN that works best for you and stick with it! You can do this!
~Jane
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey Hope01,

I know phen quite well unfort., and that place you are talking about after you get off of it where you are lifeless. It may be easier than you think to kick, it's similiar to an amphetamine but it's not the molecule structure of it is different which makes it or from what I have seen much easier to stop and get your body back to normal than some or most of the others, meth, ritalin, etc.

I've gotten off of it and helped several friends get off it. You know it takes about a week to sleep and get normal without it, after that there are things you can do.
The mineral chromium picolinate helps with the being hungry part, Magnesium, the Vitamin B's help with the energy, and exercise. It is a whole life style change, but the energy comes back, and you have to start 'sleeping' again'. Phen lets you not sleep, and we get used to that and think we can do the same off it.

But if you do that, watch you will start to look better off of it, your real energy will come back, the mood swings will go away, the dry mouth, shakiness, the random need to explode, all that goes away.

We don't have to be the Energizer Bunny all the time, that is what was hardest for me to learn. And eventually if you don't stop it just gets worse, I went on to worse things and almost got myself killed.

Glad your here, pm me anytime.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its funny this topic should come up. Ive been looking into weight loss medication to take. I have a very high and unhealthy BMI. I didnt know how bad it was until I looked it up. Ive felt generally very tired and unmotivated since getting sober. Ive also gained umm..... ah...... 25lbs!!! I cant stop myself from eating. I eat three meals a day. Big Breakfast, Lunch and Big Dinner. I thought by quitting coffee all the time I would loose weight. I also dont eat much processed food at all. Cant stand the stuff. Am I going to playing with fire if I start on a diet pill? Ive never liked the feeling of being amped up. I like feeling mellow. Sometimes im so mellow I appear to be a statue. Just kidding. I was looking into Bontril, Adipex or Phentermine. Taken as directed of course and for no longer than 12 weeks. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Smile

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Its funny this topic should come up. Ive been looking into weight loss medication to take. I have a very high and unhealthy BMI. I didnt know how bad it was until I looked it up. Ive felt generally very tired and unmotivated since getting sober. Ive also gained umm..... ah...... 25lbs!!! I cant stop myself from eating. I eat three meals a day. Big Breakfast, Lunch and Big Dinner. I thought by quitting coffee all the time I would loose weight. I also dont eat much processed food at all. Cant stand the stuff. Am I going to playing with fire if I start on a diet pill? Ive never liked the feeling of being amped up. I like feeling mellow. Sometimes im so mellow I appear to be a statue. Just kidding. I was looking into Bontril, Adipex or Phentermine. Taken as directed of course and for no longer than 12 weeks. Any thoughts?

Phentermine is the generic form of Adipex, Bontril is similiar to both of them.

If you take them most likely you will do what everyone else here does,
you will love or hate them. If you love them you'll think they are the
greatest thing ever. You will lose a little weight, you won't sleep much,
you'll get things done, about a week later, hmmm, you won't feel that
same high, oh well, I'll just take a half one more... It works again..
By months end or so, (different for different people) You'll be looking on
the internet to buy them because you can't afford them from your doctor
anymore. And if your like me, you'll take your chances, and then when
you get the "FAKE" pills from some moron fake Doctor in India, you'll take
them anyway and pray to God they aren't going to kill you, whatever is
in these pills, and when it doesn't kill you, you go looking on the net,
and find out how normal that is.

By now, you've put back on your weight........

I won't tell you what to do, but that's not just my story it's a very common
one, it's all over the net, it's what happens, and the India story is true.

If it were me, I'd go to the gym, start running, eat better, do it the real
way. My roommate has lost over 50 pounds in the last year doing it that way.

I would spend the diet pill money on a gym..... :-)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Welcome hope..

Addiction is Addiction.. Don't feel at all strange for being here, you are in a
good place. Feel free to open up, and let things out.

I had a terrible addiction to diet pills. I bought them all at GNC, and thought when
I started them, that I was doing the "right" thing, because it was through the
health food store, LOL.. I was wrong!! I couldn't function without them, but OH, could I ever function with them. But as time went on, I got sicker from them, and
when there was no more weight to come off, I still didn't stop. I was very ill.
To make a very long story short, things changed in my life, and my addiction changed from the diet pills to pain killers. It was all addiction. The diet pills, and the pain killers, I took them for the same reasons, deep down. To avoid my life, to get by, to not feel pain, to be wonder woman.. etc...

Keep posting.. Have you considered reaching out for some outside help?

Becky
Old 06-23-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The only thing I can add is there is a difference between physical addiction and mental addiction. If you have the mental willpower than try a taper. A nice slow taper of cutting your dose down each day should really make it much easier on that last day and after to deal with the fatigue since you will get a little less meds each day and be a bit less energized each day-youll fade away some of that fatigue over time rather than all at once.

If its the mental aspect you struggle with as well and are addictive-than it may be tough to do that.

Ya remember the whole phen-fen ordeal-well fenfluramine is gonzo but phentermine aint too good on the lungs and heart either-I definetly would stear clear if not taking them and try to get off if you are-but obviously that is what you wanted-but definetly worth it.

I hear ya about the energy-that is my biggest complaint about detox from antoher drug that probalby isnt as bad as yours as far as the energy loss-it just sucks
Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is some really good info in this thread....I have lied, stolen, you name it for Phentermine....I have used anything over the internet and prayed I would not die from what ever is was I was taking....I still have internet pharmacies calling me once a week to reorder on my cell phone...I was amazed at how addicted I was to something that my Dr. gave me in the first place....However his amount was not enough...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That was my first drug of choice, which then lead to much worse choices. I used to call them happy pills, although I was very moody when I was abusing them. I was redecorating my house, painting ceramics, cleaning like a mad woman. Not worth it, after awhile you stop losing weight and it's just the addiction left.

Not to mention they are very expensive on the internet.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

speed kills
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im having some issues with this right now...AGAIN.....so many things tie into it....As soon as I feel "fat" Im triggered to use this....as soon as I need a "boost of energy" Im thinking about it.....I have been clean for awhile now and it just sits there tied to other issuse I have such as my eating disorder. I was bulimic and aneroxic years ago...but they tend to trigger each other...the ed and the phentermine
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

While this medication may seem useful & effective in the beginning, be careful. I've been taking this medication off & on for approx 10 years. I've found the longer I'm on the medication, the more addicted (mentally & physically) I am to it. I love the energetic, invincible feeling that it gives me in the beginning, however, I've found that I am more irritable & moody now too. I have gotten to the point where I feel I can't function without it, although it's lost its suppressant effect.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is a very addictive drug. If you have started to take more than prescribed dose you need to titrate down to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

Try and find a functional medicine Dr. in your area, try The Institute for Functional Medicine they can help you get your body back to normal and address your lack of energy. Once you get your body into balance you will have all the energy and drive you need. Most likely this drug has taxed your adrenal glands. Research adrenal fatigue and you can learn a lot about how to help yourself with this issue.

Good luck and try to get some medical help with this and not the diet Dr.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do not know much about this drug, but I was addicted to Dextromethorphan, which is the active ingredient in cough suppressants, which is an odd drug of choice too, I suppose. I have found no judgement here, it is a good site to get support for getting off of whatever you are addicted to, and also great help getting your life back together afterwards!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am dealing with this right now. This medication has me depressed, im not interested in anything, and it makes me feel worse as the day goes by. So why do I continue to take it? I think the withdrawal effects scare me so bad because I have detoxed several times. I don't want to keep doing this. I have only been taking them for 4 days this time. The first day I took 4. Once I start it doesn't stop. I start to feel that 'crash' and I panic. Can I get an opinion on whether or not ill have symptoms since its only been 4 days.
I went through treatment last year and I do not want to go back!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My beloved GF just told me she is addicted to Adipex ... She has been taking it since 2007 and took a break because of pregnancy ...
She told me because we are seriously in love and she wants to quit because of me ...
I need help ... what can I do to help her ... she really wants to quit ... I just want to know that im doing the right things to be able to effectively help her