Notices

Need advice!! Vicodin and pregnant

Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice!! Vicodin and pregnant

Hi everyone. I was given vicodin a few years back for hip pain and have been on it ever since. Problem is Im VERY pregnant and now Im freaking out about the effects it will have on my baby. She is 100% healthy now but I dont want her to withdraw when she is born. Is there a safe way I can stop this before she comes. She is due in a month. yes, I have thought about stopping sooner but didnt know where to turn or how to do it without making things worse. I would appreciate any advice you can give me as Im scared.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it were me...I would try my hardest to taper down, starting *right now*. If you are strong, unlike me, you can do a taper with slight withdrawal syndromes, I've heard. Don't really know first hand since I've always cold-turkied. The #1 advice I could give is to talk with your OB/GYN and/or the doctor prescribing the opioids and tell them what's up. They should be able to help you tremendously. Others will be here shortly with more detailed advice, i'm sure of it!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. I never thought that I would have to worry about this until a friend told me it can cause w/d's in the baby. No dr. ever told me that or anything. I dont want to get in trouble either as I did in-vitro to bring my miracle to me. If I taper off will she be ok in a week or 2 from now ya think??
Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

They Would Only Detox you in the 2nd Trimester ...So ...

My Love is With you,...

The Womans Forum is A Great place to go for that one Darlin ,.....

I Dont Totally Know What is 'Vicoden' Brand Names are Different ,...
Over the Pond..Sometimes ...!!! ,...

So Forgive me If Im off Base,..xXx..?

Im talking from My Experiacne with Drugs and Pregnacy ...!

...xXx...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Wlflvr!

I would definately talk to my doctor about it. That way he can help you and the baby safely "taper" down. I know it is scarey, believe me, I know. You see, I took methadone the whole time I was pregnant for my daughter. I didn't tell my doctor. So when she was born, child services got involved. I am not telling you this to scare you, at all. I am just sharing my experience with you, and telling you what I wish I would have done. My daughter is perfectly healthy today. So that is definately a blessing for me. So please, my friend, tell your doctor so that he can help you and your baby!

Much love,
Alissa
Old 12-15-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

I have been addictit to vicodin for the last 5 years so I know how it is. It's a very,very hard habit to break but it can be done. I would really slowly get off of them since your pregnant. I know pain can be bad so if you don't completly quit you should atleast cut down major.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no time to waste

Hi I too was addicted to pain meds amoung other things but, they were my favorites! So here is my advice you need to figure it out before the baby is born. I'm a drug counselor and a know that child servives stay own us really bad these days. I'm not trying to scare you but every mother is checked these days and there will be no excuses trust me I've tried! I lost my daughter to her father and that hurts just as bad. Well like others have told you talk to your doc. quick sweetie! Well also that baby will be hurting after it's born if you don't do something now. I know that's the last thing that you will want it will break your heart. Hope I've helped, you and your baby will be in my prayers.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I told my dr. in the beginning that I was taking it and since then they havent asked or anything. I have Kaiser but I go to an outside dr. for my hip/sciatica pain because I do not like my primary dr. at kaiser and this other dr. is one who I went to before I had insurance. Does anyone know how long it would take for the baby to be completely fine if I taper down? I had no idea that this was going to be a problem so now Im freaking out...sorry. The last thing I want is someone to take my baby from me. I just wish I knew all of this a long time ago.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

If you are on "perscribed" pain meds.... and not buying them or taking them on your own without a perscription I do not think they can take the baby because you were and are taking meds that are given to you from a doctor.
I could be wrong but.... I would more worried that they would take the baby if I tested positive for medication I was not supossed to be taking.
Although I would cut down so the baby will not have WD's..... if the baby does go through WD's I know it will be hard on you to see that happening but... boys gets circumsized everyday and they never remember it. So I am sure it would be difficult for a little while but it will be over and although you will remember it ...the baby will not.
Taper is your best option ...but also talk to your Dr & the Dr who will deliver so they know and are aware of your medications...so they won't be surprised when the baby is born.
PRAYERS & HUGS
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wolflvr:

I think you can definetly do a taper for 2 weeks. It aint gonna be no cake walk, but i know you can do it. You actually have more motivation (with your baby) to stick to the taper than most people do. I do believe your baby will still feel the withdrawal after birth, but if you do the taper, it will be very minimal. Bottom line...start right now and stick to the taper, no matter what. Now...you ask...how many do i taper-down. Unless a Dr. is involved, depends on how many pills you have left...I've heard 20% per week, but 2 weeks will probably not make this possible. If you're currently at 14 pills a day, the simple way would be to cut 1 pill per day 'till the 2 weeks is up. If you're at 5 pills per day, you could go 3,3,3,2,2,2,1.5,1.5,1.5,1,1,1,0.5,0.5. Going from 5 to 3 doesn't 'hurt' that bad. it's that last part of the taper that gets you...

Hope this helps,
kflex.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

kflex..that is an awesome idea and I thank you so very much. Do you think if I do it that way my baby will not have problems withdrawing from it? Do you know how long it would take for it to be out of her system? I dont think much gets to her but Im not sure. Either way I dont want to find out. Im starting your plan today and Im going to do it. I hope I can come here for support. I dont ever want to take these damn things again. I think its a shame dr's dont explain the addictive aspect of it or anything. At least not mine. If I was done with them in 2 weeks and she came 2-3 weeks after that should all be ok? I know you arent a dr. or God but what is your opinion? Thank you again. Im so glad I found this site!! Noone has criticized me which by all rights they could and for that Im grateful. I will walk through this with God by my side and I WILL MAKE IT!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Love and Best Wishes!!!!!

Hello, Wolflvr! First, I really have to COMMEND you on your bravery for coming here to share your story, for I know it has to be very hard for you to discuss. After reading your post, I actually remembered years ago that "somewhere" online I had read about similar stories as yours where these women, too, were pregnant; they had suffered from serious pain issues, so many of them were given the prescription hydrocodone because of these issues. I couldn't remember "where" I had read about this because it was so long ago, so I went and searched and searched, and I finally found it! Anyway, I PMd the link to you so that you and your baby could hopefully benefit from it.

You can lower your dose significantly over the next few weeks, but just remember to go very slowly so that you don't send yourself into early labor, which would be much worse for your baby! I wouldn't drop my dose no sooner that three days if possible, mainly since you are pregnant. Always remember that what you are feeling right now your baby will be feeling, so if you feel bad while doing this, make sure that you slow down the pace and keep yourself at a steady level.

I am wishing you much success and good luck! Again, check your PMs and you will find a link about mothers with similar situations like yours, and it should help you a good bit right now!

Take care!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wolflvr:

hey, i think you and your baby will be just fine (from a opioid withdrawal standpoint). don't sweat it. but you must stick strickly to your taper. i keep stressing this point because i've failed so many times to taper.

i could tell you all of the withdrawal symptoms, but if you feel like crap, just realize that it is the drug withdrawal. It'll be over soon. You and your baby will be just fine.

As far as hydrocodone staying in your system...it's only hours before its "out". that's what really creates the withdrawal symptoms. your body will start recovering as fast as it can once the "detox" truely starts - 0mg/day of hydro. your body is kind-of healing itself once you stop taking the drug. this healing is pretty uncomfortable, but very doable.

again, stick to your taper and don't sweat it. and once you're over this, please, please, never take another hydrocodone pill ever, unless of-course you are truely, in pain.

kflex.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i would really, really discuss this with your OB. i was taking ativan as prescribed through my last pregancy (baby healthy, no withdrawals)...i wanted to quit also during my last trimester, and i was told that the detoxing could send my body into labor and cause more problems that just continuing to take it.
that is what i was told, for me, it may not apply to you, and certainly vicodin is a different class of drug.
again, i would just say please reiterate to your OB that you are still taking this, how much, and do what he/she says
please be careful
misti
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Misti,

I had an appt yesterday and brought up my concerns about the vicodin and possible w/d's for the baby etc. I was given the total brush off and told that w/d's are possible and basically thats it. The lady was so rude I cannot even tell you. She didnt act concerned at all. I have Kaiser and you would think they would be more helpful. She told me she had no idea what vicodin would do!! WTF~ I go back next week and will not be seeing her if I can help it. Im trying to taper off of them and its very hard. I keep thinking what if I go into labor today?? I dont know if I have enough time yanno? I was never told of the risks of w/d' to the baby until I started doing research myself. Now I feel horrible. I appreciate your post and Im praying that God watches over my daughter and I.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

the most common withdrawals from vicodin you will see in newborns is restlessness, sleepiness and sneezing.
they really don't feel wds like we do
as long as you have not been taking waaaaaaaay too many, i feel that the baby will be fine
misti
Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there wolflvr,

I am a liittle upset that people here are giving you advice, while pregnant, to do a Vicodin taper. First, we aren't supposed to even give that kind of advice to someone, let alone to someone who is pregnant, and in their last month. Who knows the damage a quick taper could do??? Maybe more damage than just staying on at this point, I don't know, but what I do know is that I am not a doctor, and we should not give advice like that. Please don't...

Wolflvr, I SO feel for you,, .. Please go to your doctor, and if that doctor doesn't listen, talk to your other doctor, don't stop talking to doctors. I wouldn't wait and see what happens, but I wouldn't taper either, not without my doctor telling me it's ok at this point, it's to close. I would guess that racegirl would be right, I'm sure child services will not get involved, if you are not buying them over the internet. If you have been prescribed this vicoden, then everything shoudl be just fine. But no matter what, if you go to a doctor now, they should help you, it's when we wait, that we end up in trouble.

Just stay calm, relax, your baby is fine, don't freak out. There are doctors that can help you, and maybe there is nothing at all that will be wrong? But hearing that from your OB doctor would be the best I would think. At least I would feel that way.

Hang in there hun. We are pulling for you and the baby, you will be just fine, and so will your baby. Please talk to your doctor,.

Prayers,
Becky
Old 12-19-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, i agree with angelgirl: see a doctor. Definetly see a doctor or another doctor that will actually help you out. But in the mean time, i don't see how lowering your intake could hurt. Just a suggestion to ease the withdrawal once they show their ugly head. I'm not a doctor, so please read my advice with caution. i definetly don't want to make your situation worse. anyway, i don't think you have much to worry about whether you taper or not, unless you're up to like 10-20 pills per day...

you will do great! hang in there and i'm happy for you and your upcoming addition!

kflex.

p.s. that last word is addition, and not addiction...

Last edited by kflex; 12-19-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey, you still around?
how are things going?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

No we are not doctors but it really angers me when people int he medical profession are so IGNORANT like the nurse that is is supposed to be a care provider!! But now..we come here and get the best advice love and support from other addicts. Guess that is just the way it is.
I am not trying to make light of your situation but I have known several pregnant woman on methadone and I think it is doangerous to the baby to STOP the opiates. I know they never weaned the women off until after the baby was born and vicodin ispretty mild compared to methadone . Just what I have experienced.
I think you are doing the right thing getting support!!!! Keep postin here..
We care about you!!
love north