Notices

hydrocodone addiction

Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
one day at a time

hi chloe, it is good hearing from you...I was worried about you. I have had a bad few days lately but maybe it will get better. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Please don't forget about us in here. We all care about you very much, don't forget that.

Blue
Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

notsleepingwell; I'm so sorry about your daughter. That's all I know how to say.

Well, everyone, tonight is my first NA meeting. I'm very nervous. I just don't know what to expect. wish me luck!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccgirl
notsleepingwell; I'm so sorry about your daughter. That's all I know how to say.

Well, everyone, tonight is my first NA meeting. I'm very nervous. I just don't know what to expect. wish me luck!

Luck!

BTW..I use to visit my Grandparents in W. Barnstable every summer.

Best,

Golf
Old 10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

good luck with your meeting.

Chloe
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blueline
hi chloe, it is good hearing from you...I was worried about you. I have had a bad few days lately but maybe it will get better. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Please don't forget about us in here. We all care about you very much, don't forget that.

Blue
Blue, I recall how it was to have waves of anxiety, craving, agitation, emotional flatness and depression. These came and went for approx 3 months before I started my ascent out of that head-space - in my experience things started to really stabilize and plateau out, after 6 months.

You've reached a vital milestone and it helps now that you have some recovery momentum. Getting clean was very stressful but the psychological stress afterwards can be very trying too.

Your comment about pain issues reminds me of a recent situation where I had to seek alternatives to the drugs doctors normally prescribe. I have come to the same conclusion - the risk is unacceptably high for me so I choose other options and have not had to use Hydro in close to 9 months now. The NA Basic Text describes it well:
"Our bodies don't know the difference between the drugs prescribed by a Physician for pain and the drugs prescribed by ourselves to get high. As addicts, our skill at self-deception will be at its peak in such a situation. Often our minds will manufacture additional pain as an excuse to use."

There are obviously circumstances where use of the minimum required prescribed medication for a surgical procedure is necessary (as Buzz experienced) but my hope is to avoid having to make that choice if at all possible. Under direct medical supervision that makes perfect sense - no-one in his right mind tries to endure a surgical procedure with-out some form of anaesthetic for example.

Hope all is well CCGirl, Chloe and others, let us know what your meeting was like CCGirl.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  
one day at a time

day 41.....today is a little better than yesterday, but not much....
Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

day 41.....today is a little better than yesterday, but not much....
Blue,

On what basis is one day better or worse than the next? Do you have specific, lingering symptoms or is it more about state of mind?

Buzz
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
one day at a time

buzz, sometimes my RLS comes back...that's some of it, but...I don't know, it's hard to explain...I just feel kinda down in the dumps and a little depressed at times I guess. It's not really that much of a physical thing, probably more mental than anything else. I've always been a happy-go-lucky guy and sometimes here lately I've been in a "don't #*&! with me" mood, and I want to be by myself. Don't know if that's normal with this but I've never been that way before. I had someone tell me that I had "cranky O's" for breakfast. I'm sure I'll get over it pretty soon...

I'm taking off work at noon today...maybe a good weekend away will help.

Blue
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Blue,

The most difficult W/D symptom for me was depression. I think I'm over the worst of it (after 60 days) but I do have my down times, primarily when I'm not feeling physically well.

Invariably -- with no hyperbole -- swimming laps elevates my mood like nothing else. I was really bummed out last Saturday but exercised and it changed everything. Is there any kind of aerobic exercise that you can do with your injury?

When I was on the meds I was rarely depressed yet rarely elated. My wife said I was emotionally "out there " i.e. beyond reach. After I quit I noticed a lot more volatility . . . times when I really enjoyed the moment and others being down.

I'm not as happy as I remember being, but other people describe me as happy (maybe because I'm outgoing). I don't know if this is faulty memory, or if it's really true. I'm also in a very different place than I was 8 years ago when I started the meds. But I do notice a renewed ability to smell the flowers; appreciate my family; and feel strong emotion. That alone is worth the price of admission to sobriety.

It's fairly common for MDs to prescribe SSRIs post-withdrawal. For many people it helps to keep them sober. Chronic pain is a cause of depression and SSRIs can help with both, actually. I've read that pain threshold levels were improved for chronic pain patients taking SSRIs.

Then there is the school of thought that drug users are really seeking something that will make them feel normal. A lot of people on this forum have said that opiates had anti-depressant effects.

I recommend you give it a couple of more weeks (that's what my Dr.'s office recommended once) and seek some kind of help if it's not getting better.

Then there is this problem of life when we come back to our senses and what to do with it. We'd been putting things on hold with the pain killers, and shouldn't be too surprised if it is waiting for us when we get back . . . .

Happy trails,

Buzz
Old 10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add my thoughts on depression..I have been dperessed on and off for the last 7 years but never as depressed as I have been since I stopped the codeine..I have detoxed before and even those times it wasnt this bad. I have had to change my anti- depressant because drs thought that it was causing rapid heart rate but all the ones I tried instead havent worked and it looks like the rapid heart rate is still there without the AD anyway so I am now going back to the drug that has always worked for me.

The thing that I was told was that large amounts of codeine are a depressant and can cause depression...I started a cognitive behavioural therapy course a couple of weeks ago and its good to recognise that your thinking is way off...but for me I can see that and see that the way I am thinking isnt right...but feel it is the depression that causes me to think the way I do rather than it being me...becuase when I am well I dont think in a depressed way....my dr said that is a good sign because it means the problem is chemical rather than an emotional depression and can be fixed with meds.

I also suffer with chronic pain which doesnt help with depression and emotionally and physically its hard to be in a lot of pain and not be able to take meds to help and you feel angry at yourself for abusing the meds when you need them...but that is the price we pay.

I believe that we do really have to learn a new way to live without the pills because I know that for me codeine would calm me down, make me feel content, it never gave me a high just a feeling of calm so being without it takes alot of adjusting to..including the stuff like sleep too. Everything thing looks, smells and feels different when you are not taking stuff to cope with life and I think that it will only be time that will help us to readjust...just lastly if anyone is feeling so depressed that they cant function then I would say dont beat yourself up about going on an anti depressant,if you find the right one they can really help.

Chloe
Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

new on the block

Reading all these e=mails are giving me a little hope,Thank you all Want2livagain
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

hi.

today was my first day off of hydrocodone.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
one day at a time

Thanks Buzz and you too Chloe,

I appreciate you both. I went to my family doctor on Friday and I talked to her about my problems and my pain. I had been going to my neurosurgeon before but I didn't want to go back to him if I could help it. Anyway, I told her (my family doctor) that I did not want any hydro's, or any prescription pain pills and I also told her about the way I was feeling. She gave me some Cymbalta and told me to try it. She said it is commonly used as an anti-depressant but it is also used for pain and for restless leg syndrome. Do either of you know anything about this drug (Cymbalta)? She also gave me a prescription for another drug. I can't remember the name of it but it is in the Benzo catagory so I doubt if I will get it filled. I don't really want to take any Benzos. Thanks for your input.

Blue
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
one day at a time

leftoff and want2liveagain,welcome. You will find help in here. I am 44 days off hydros today and I am still struggling, but the fight is worth it. Keep posting in here and you will find strength and support.

Blue
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Blueline,

Sounds like your physician made an excellent choice. Cymbalta is one of the more versatile meds for the combination of pain and depression. It's an SSNRI, which is like Prozac only it also is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, i.e. it works on more neurotransmitters than most other antidepressants.

Check out the manufacturer's website:

http://www.cymbalta.com/index.jsp

Note that alcohol is not recommended during treatment and if I were you I'd arrange to get a liver panel done at regular intervals, since it can be rough on it. I'm not a doctor, of course, but I'd probably avoid Tylenol as well because of it's depletive effects upon the cytochrome P-450 system. I'd also take milk thistle for its liver detox properties. These are minor recommendations but certainly confirm them with your doctor beforehand.

I'm suprised that you're still having to deal with RLS. Your withdrawal symptoms seem prolonged. You might want to look into what you can do for P.A.W.S. (post-addiction withdrawal syndrome).

In general SSRIs and SSNRIs require titration, i.e. finding your optimal dosage. Stay in contact with your physician until you find the sweet spot.

Good luck this week,

Buzz
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
one day at a time

Buzz,

Thanks Buzz,

My doctor told me that many times people have RLS after having the type of surgery that I had on my back. Actually, I had three surgeries on my back, but the last one was extremely hard on me. The first two they went in through my back but the last surgery they went in through my stomach and implanted metal and screws. My doctor said sometimes that surgery will cause RLS. I guess she's right because I still have it.

Hydrocodone makes the RLS go away as long as I am taking it, but hydrocodone is not an option for me anymore. I am hoping that this Cymbalta might do some good. I'll give it a few days and see.

I appreciate you Buzz....

Blue
Old 10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

i just found this site, i too am now coming off of dros and oxys and the rest, my last dose was yesterday @ 9:00 am. i just flooshed at least 500 of the things. swearing that i'll never take another, but i feel real bad. i usually take at least 30 10mil pills a day, and i know i cant taper off. if i was in a room filled top to bottom with bottles full of the things my first thought would be how to get more. but im concerned about physical withdrawls causing serious problems like seizure or worse. does anyone know if thats possible?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Buzz,
My doctor told me that many times people have RLS after having the type of surgery that I had on my back. . . . .

I am hoping that this Cymbalta might do some good. I'll give it a few days and see . . . .
Blue,

Sorry to chop up your post.

Interesting about the surgery and RLS. I learned something today!

Also, I think you have to give Cymbalta and those kinds of drugs at least a month to gauge the effects. From what I recall, these meds don't work right away, and it's apparently still a mystery exactly how they work and why it takes so long for them to kick in.

OTOH, sometimes it takes a month to determine that a particular drug is NOT working, i.e. it can take awhile to find the best meds and the optimal dosage. Don't get frustrated early.

Peace out.

Buzz
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

My doctor told me that many times people have RLS after having the type of surgery that I had on my back. Actually, I had three surgeries on my back, but the last one was extremely hard on me. The first two they went in through my back but the last surgery they went in through my stomach and implanted metal and screws. My doctor said sometimes that surgery will cause RLS. I guess she's right because I still have it.

Hydrocodone makes the RLS go away as long as I am taking it, but hydrocodone is not an option for me anymore. I am hoping that this Cymbalta might do some good. I'll give it a few days and see.

Blue
Four years out from having my third lumbar surgery and I still have RLS. Back when I was able to take pain meds they would alleviate it. I would try to sleep without taking anything first as I was wanting off the drugs by the time it started, but would lay there vibrating like magic fingers was installed in my bed and ended up getting up to take a pain pill and a valium then sleeping like a rock.

No longer can I take anything, nor would I even if I could tolerate it. It is only in one leg for the most part anymore and it only flares up when I retire for the night. I just deal with it and eventually it eases up most of the time. The nights it won't I get up and surf the net or watch a movie till I am tired enough to fall asleep. Creepy, crawly, creepy, crawly
Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
one day at a time

Buzz,

I have been taking the Cymbalta for 4 days now and I think I feel a little better today. Last night wasn't quite as bad, but my legs still bothered me some. You're right about giving it some time to work, I asked my doctor and she said to give it a while and I should be ok. The other prescription she gave me was Ativan, which I think is a benzo. I don't think I am going to fill that one if I can do without it. Thanks for your helpful info for the past few weeks. You are a good friend and I appreciate it.

Blue