Notices

Methadone rules

Old 01-24-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone rules

I have been going to a methadone clinic since 2013. I have never had a bad UA and I earned theprivilege of getting 13 take homes. In the last 90 days the clinic now makes us bring our return empties back. So somehow I must have been in a hurry for work and thrown one empty out. I still had 12 return bottles but they said I needed 13 or I lose my take homes. The program director says they can give me a warning but mycounselor says I lose my take homes for 30 days. Had this happened years ago that would be fine but since I've gotten my life back on track thru methadone use and being responsible I now work and have a life to where I can't travel 6 days a week 100 mi round trup. Anybody have any suggestions? My clinic handbook doesn't have this rule listed in it at all and they don't refill your old bottles. They simply look at them and throw them away. I understand why they want our empties but misplacing one bottle in 5 years and losing my tskehomes seems a bit harsh! Being as if I was forced to attend now daily I'd have no choice but to have to quit either my job or this program that has given me my life back.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but it does sound a bit harsh Jerbear but it sounds like you have the programme director behind you?

Does your counselor work for the programme director?

D
Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are State adopted rules & regulations concerning methadone clinics which vary State to State. Your State rules & guidelines may be published. I would check online.

Ask the clinic Director what the procedure is to appeal the decision.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jerbear70 View Post
I have been going to a methadone clinic since 2013. I have never had a bad UA and I earned theprivilege of getting 13 take homes. In the last 90 days the clinic now makes us bring our return empties back. So somehow I must have been in a hurry for work and thrown one empty out. I still had 12 return bottles but they said I needed 13 or I lose my take homes. The program director says they can give me a warning but mycounselor says I lose my take homes for 30 days. Had this happened years ago that would be fine but since I've gotten my life back on track thru methadone use and being responsible I now work and have a life to where I can't travel 6 days a week 100 mi round trup. Anybody have any suggestions? My clinic handbook doesn't have this rule listed in it at all and they don't refill your old bottles. They simply look at them and throw them away. I understand why they want our empties but misplacing one bottle in 5 years and losing my tskehomes seems a bit harsh! Being as if I was forced to attend now daily I'd have no choice but to have to quit either my job or this program that has given me my life back.
Where I am if they want to discipline you and you need to appeal it you contact your counselor who fills out a form with you and you go to "team".
At team there is the director of the clinic, the head counselor, and a couple other counselors. You tell them what happened, bring any documentation to prove your point because they will want it. Then they vote on whether to remove the discipline or not.
I have been at my clinic for over 3 years, no dirty UAs, mess ups, and no missed appointments so I know I would be upset if a mistake caused me to lose my take homes.
If you don't have team at your clinic, go to the director and the lead counselor of your clinic. Ask for an appointment with him at the front desk, going through your counselor to get an appointment with him will take too long.

And remember if they do not resolve this take it to OMBUDS. Ombuds advocates for addicts at their treatment centers. They should not discipline you for a rule that is not inside the handbook. Tell Ombuds everything, they helped us get rid of a terrible lead counselor who happened to also be the director. He was so disrespectful.

Good luck on your journey. Methadone has done wonders for my life, sounds like it is doing so in yours as well.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talk to your clinic director

I've been at my clinic for about 18 months with all clean UAs and no problems. I have had to miss a couple call backs due to my work schedule, and my clinic worked with me to make it work.
You have an excellent track record so I think they're being a bit harsh here. I know my counselor and clinic would find a way to work things out with me because I have a good record as well.
I would definitely try to make an appointment with the clinic director and explain the circumstance. Their job is to help you get your life back and on track. Having to give up your job would be a major setback, and I think they should realize that. Hopefully, if you talk to the director, you can work something out to avoid that. Just be sure to be calm, kind, and understanding during the meeting. They'll be much more willing to help you if you state your problem in a calm, rational manner.
I hope this works out for you. Wishing you the best of luck! Stay positive, and whatever happens always keep your chin up and look forward.