Notices

Help with getting off Suboxone

Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help with getting off Suboxone

I am having such a hard time, have managed to get it down to .25 mg day, but it's not easy. I want to get off completely and have looked for ideas to make it easier. I have started multivitamin with B and magnesium, cream for RLS, as well as a bar of soap under sheets. I'm willing to try anything that's safe. I have heard a lot about the amino acids supplement DPLA. It's supposedly " a miracle" for opiate/ Suboxone withdrawal. I guess it naturally gets your dopamine levels up, which is why detoxing is so hard , our dopamine levels are depleted, which is a cause of RLS during withdrawal too. Soundsttoo good to be true, but there is a lot of info and they are doing it as infusions at rehab centers too. Does anyone know anything about this? Or other ideas to make it bearable. I'm not expecting it to be easy, but I don't want to feel like going crazy from RLS or the unbearable depression.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it's hard

I feel your pain! Getting to .25 is a great achievement! I don't know much about aminos but eat good foods and drink good water.

It was hard for me to guzzle water because peeing one of the first wds I feel. eat peanut butter and bananas. I hAd to get some Flexiril from the dr when I got down low.

Trying to think what aminos you can get from food, maybe these....turkey, lean meats, green leafy vegetables and dairy products. I think any protein will help.

Good Luck and be careful with supplements....they can have unwanted effects.....eat well!

Last edited by SadSoonToBeEx; 04-19-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Took out magnesium suggestion
Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are in my prayers

Hi! Congrats on getting down that low! I am on 4 mg myself and have been thinking a lot lately about cutting back. I am prescribed 8 mg/day but from the beginning I would cut the tablet in half and planned to take half in morning and half at night and I never need the night dose (I can't stand the taste so that's why I broke it in half).

Before Suboxone, I was on and off methadone for 10 years. It made me feel high everyday, even when I was not abusing drugs on it, and I had even been totally clean so I had earned 1 month of takehomes at a time for 2 years.

I started drinking alcohol heavily while on methadone maintenance and when I drink, it's not long until I'm using heroin and cocaine. When I hit my bottom and decided enough was enough, I new I had to get off the methadone and get on suboxone. I detoxed myself off the methadone using heroin and alcohol (not recommended) and started suboxone. It was the hardest thing I've ever done but it was the BEST thing I could have ever done! I don't have cravings for opiates, I'm not in withdraw every couple hours and I live a normal life without the nodding out effects from methadone.

I commend you for getting down that low. RLS is my biggest nightmare. I hate to make excuses but one of the reasons I stayed using for so long was the thought of RLS and not sleeping. When I switched to suboxone, I really didn't realize how hard it was going to be to get off permanently. I kind of feel like that was never discussed with me by the subox doctor when I started.

It sounds like you have some effective methods to curb the misery of withdraw. Good luck and remember--this too shall pass (I really wanted to slap someone when they said that to me, but it does pass). I will pray for your relief.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son just did this a month ago. He went cold turkey off of more than that and had a rough four days but now is doing well. The RLS, not sleeping, leg cramps were hard. I commend you for wanting to do it. Once you decide you are ready, just prepare and do it. He went back to work after 5 days.
I wish you the very best with this.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try gabbapentin

I am also at between .25 and .5 mg subutex. A very small amount of gabbapentin like 50 mg completely stops my RLS and allows for sleep. I take it whenever my anxiety is too much to handle. I'm stable at.50 trying for .25 tomorrow. Slow and steady ... Good luck and keep checking in I need to hear some success stories
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lambero....it is my experience that your reduction in these small numbers be no more than 20%. You have done a fantastic job getting to where you are. Have some patience and keep making 20% reductions every few weeks and maybe that will help with any issues when you stop. I sure hope so!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lambero

Gabapentin is a prescription only drug in most parts of the world, so if anyone is interested in what you shared they'll need to see their Dr to see if it's a suitable possibility for them.

Dee
SR