Notices

What's normal!?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's normal!?

I've now been off the methadone for a month and was wondering if anyone knew when I will start to feel normal again. My sleeping pattern varies sometimes I sleep fine other nights I'm awake every few hours. And the aching muscles, this sends me mad!!!!
Everything I do is such an effort, I just feel I have no energy and even walking up the stairs makes my legs ache as if I've just ran a few miles.
It's been that long that I don't even know what normal feels like any more but I crave that so badly. I want to stop feeling lazy and like everything is a effort.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Zoe
Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no advice Zoe, but I wanted you to know others will be along in due course with experience to share

best wishes
D
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Zoe,
Because methadone is such an incredibly long acting drug it seems to take people a lot longer to bounce back from it. For me it was a very gradual return to normalcy. So gradual in fact I didn't really notice a day to day improvement but more like a week to week improvement of the physical symptoms. A normal sleep pattern returned for me during the second month and now I sleep like a champion! The energy dump took a bit longer, but what I believe helped me to speed up the process was exercise. I started using the treadmill daily during the second month which was a major challenge so I started very low, like 20 minutes of a brisk walk. Now I do an hour 4-5 days a week along with 1 muscle group of weight training. Focusing on healthy diet helps immensely too.
I think you are right on course and things could happen a lot faster for you in yur recovery. Try to be proactive in your recovery. I. Started going to meetings recently and find that to be a major help and of course posting and reading here at SR is one of my most valuable tools. Keep up the good work, you can do this!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Several years ago i got off of methadone too. What a rough ride that was! Not sure what dose and for how long you took it but CONGRATULATIONS! That is not an easy thing you did!

As for me, after a month, i felt considerably better. For awhile before that, i was really starting to wonder. It does go back to normal. A little exercise would help, try not to focus on it, or read anything into it. You've came a long way and are definitely over the hump.

Just keep up with your routine, exercise, make sure you're eating healthy and be easy on yourself. You just came a rough battle!!