Notices

Inpatient Detox or Taper on the streets

Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient Detox or Taper on the streets

Hi to everyone
First time posting hear but so far the reading has been very enlightening. Without going into the insane details about the past I have a bit of problem right now deciding whether to try an inpatient "medical" detox or just continue to taper off of methadone.
I have had some long periods of abstinence over the years but never really been a regular person. When I'm not using I tend to work way too much and avoid too much social stuff just to avoid pressure I guess. I never really figured out how to be sober and really happy I did manage to stay clean long enough to marry a good girl and keep it together for 10+ years but picked up again for no real reason and now shes an ex and don't own my home anymore. I'm sure this a similar story that will all know well but now I'm living alone again trying to really get off methadone after a year of maintenance and 6 months of tapering I'm at 25 mls and feel fine physically except for a little sleep disruption and anxiety its manageable without using anything else. I'm being encouraged to go to detox inpatient for 7-14 days to detox completely but I can't get a strait answer as to how they are gonna do this. Last cold turkey from meth had full symptoms and wished for death for many months, but was in prison
anyone have insight to these "medical" detoxes
Steve
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no insight myself Steve -never done either - but welcome to SR.

D
Old 05-24-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a huge taper advocate but will say this: Folks that taper don't ask---they do. You seem smart. All this info is readily available. Your asking is a mindgame. Just quit and make a do-able plan. You can research . You found SR?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, totally right it is a mind game and the taper has been almost no symptoms this time other then anxiety. Just always have that fear that it will get really painful as I get near the end of taper.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I came off methadone several years ago. Slow and steady won the race for me for sure. What I see too many people do is put in 18 months or more on Methadone and then taper slowly and then just seem to lose their minds and decide they want off and jump from 20 or 25 and end up back on dope. If you come off slowly it is way easier than a dope kick as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately takes a long time and lots of mind games to contend with.

Trust me going to the clinic every day sucks (I hope that is what you mean by the "streets", but not sure). Seeing some of the nonsense that goes on can be very disheartening. If you are still feeling okay (anxiety is pretty unavoidable unfortunately) I would just stick with what is working. Not trying to talk you out of detox, but either way you are still going to come out of there facing the same issues (unless you are thinking longer term inpatient rehab).

I got very tired of the side effects from Methadone, but it did keep me off dope (eventually). Get out and get some exercise - hit some meetings - see a therapist - whatever it takes.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steveinnj View Post

I'm being encouraged to go to detox inpatient for 7-14 days to detox completely
I'm sure that will be a hard road
but, wouldn't it be the best road ?

Sounds like you have lost plenty
get and stay clean and sober and give to the devil no more.

MM
Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i tapered down then checked into detox, then detox transfred me straight to rehab. After rehab do 90 meetings in 90 days work the steps thouroghly get a sponsor . stayed clean ever since