Notices

Vitamins and OTC sleep meds for sub withdrawal

Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamins and OTC sleep meds for sub withdrawal

I am on day 3 of getting off suboxone and I keep hearing vitamins are a highly recommended. If someone would let me know which are the best to take, that would be really helpful! Also, what are some good OTC sleeping aids? I'm prescribed to clonidine but that only helps me fall asleep...not stay asleep! Oh and I've seen benadryl posted a lot...but from past experiences it does the opposite for me...making me feel jumpy and nervous.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Melatonin was somewhat helpful for me with regular opi detoxing. I am not sure if it would be more or less helpful with a suboxone detox. From everything I have heard, some folks find it helpful, while others don't get any benefit from it. It is most helpful in getting your internal 'clock' reset though (i.e. falling asleep at the appropriate time). I am not sure if it would be helpful for staying asleep, but it might be worth a try.

By the way, be sure to check the active ingredients of other OTC sleep meds before trying them. Many of them use the same ingredient that is in Benadryl. For example, many of the unisom tablets use Diphenhydramine HCl in doses equivalent to 2 Benadryl tablets. There are other unisom products that use Doxylamine Succinate, which blocks histamine and acetylcholine. The Diphenhydramine HCl works only on histamine from everything I have seen.

Unfortunately, I don't have much other experience to share with OTC sleep aids. I wish I could be more helpful.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give you much info here because of our no medical advice rule.
A certian insomnia is pretty much guaranteed but if it's concerning you could you see a Dr? or at least a pharmacist?

D
Old 02-25-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advise. Ill be sure to double check products at the pharmacy!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Caro - Dee makes a good point. Even if you can't see a doctor you can ask one of the pharmacists. A lot of times I find them as knowledgable as the doctors. They will probably have a good handle on the OTC sleep aids.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you having restless legs or you just can't sleep?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I have restless legs. I toss and turn at night but I think its just because I can't sleep.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

restless legs is twitching in the legs, so it doesn't sound like you have that. Be glad

D
Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I've read how horrible that can be for some people. I guess I can count my blessings even during a time like this!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can use Valerian root capsules for sleeplessness & they work really well as well as being all-natural. They're not too expensive, either. They can be found in your local store's natural foods or vitamin section.