Notices

Boyfriend is took methadone, seems worse

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boyfriend is took methadone, seems worse

Hi!
My boyfriend disappeared for 2 weeks while using heroin.
Anyway he came home this past Tuesday and he seemed ok, he was just tired and he said he felt painful.
Today has been really bad, he started drinking to help with how he was feeling and then decided to get some methadone. I don't know the mg he got but he mixed it with water and injected it. He did this 2 times ( 10 minutes in between) it seemed to work and he said he had 2 days worth.
Anyway, he ended up doing all the methadone he had and kept drinking on top of the methadone.
He ended up feeling worse then he had been all day. He is obviously drunk and I don't think the methadone lasted very long.
He wanted to use again and I talked to him until the urge passed, he wanted to drink more to help him but ended up falling asleep.

My question is how long does methadone last if injected and does it make you feel this bad when it leaves the body or could it be the combo of the methadone and alcohol.
I am just confused because I have read that people say they take it once a day but he didn't last 6 hrs. I am guessing that its because he is still pretty hard in his detox.
Thanks for any advice/response I can get
Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Lily, people take it once a day under medical supervision and get it at a clinic. Also they do not inject it, they get a small flask of liquid that they drink. What he is doing sounds awfully dangerous. Hopefully someone with experience will pitch in but I would suggest that you make sure he is still breathing and keep monitoring him and if you have any doubts you call an ambulance.

hugs
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lily - I don't know much about methadone either but you know like anything it's possible to abuse it and I think we can safely say your bf is doing that.

Drinking on it seems dangerous to me as well.

If you have any concerns about your bf it's really best to get him to see a Dr or go to the ER.

I'm really sorry things don't seem to be changing much for you in regards to your bf.
It must be pretty hard on you?

D
Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lily - as I posted on your other thread, injecting methadone or anything else is extremely dangerous (I know - I shot up various drugs before finding recovery).

I really pray he seeks professionals to help him detox. I know addiction inside and out, yet I still found my stepmom dead of an accidental OD a year ago. Our love just can't fix this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-20-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is no longer on methadone. I told him I think it made him worse mentally and physically.
Dee74~ watching him on it was really hard on me. This whole situation is hard on me. We talked about going to the hospital and he said if he doesn't feel better tomorrow then I can take him.
He is drinking still and he knows I don't agree with it at all but it seems to calm him down. If he walks around or gets upset over everything that's happened he says he has trouble breathing and I am not making excuses for him and I told him he cant keep drinking that isn't the answer to the problem.
Amy~ I read about making the pills of methadone into a liquid and how dangerous it can be and that is when I told him if he wants to keep taking it he has to go to a doctor for it, I wont allow him to shoot that stuff up in my apartment especially since it made him so messed up.
Thanks you guys for the input and care, I am having a bad day and needed someone to not yell at me.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thanks you guys for the input and care, I am having a bad day and needed someone to not yell at me.
Reading that made me really sad .**{hugs}}
Let's forget for one minute about the boyfriend: what are you doing for yourself Lily?
I mean like self care, maybe going to a support group or doing meditation.
I used to live in NY and they have a lot of Al Anon meetings and I also know that the Learning Annex had some really cheap classes about almost everything. They probably have some mindfulness or meditation or yoga classes in January
Do you have any plans for Christmas?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Carlotta~ I am taking care of myself pretty well.
I will be honest I am not sleeping for long periods of time because I make sure hes ok
I hang out with my cats ( they love mommy time) and I do stuff I like to do, I watch movies or youtube or I read when hes up ( I let him use the computer for movies, it takes his mind off of how hes feeling) or I will play a video game and just hang out and not think about stuff.
I am working Christmas. I usually don't do much on Christmas anyway since my family lives in jersey and I am always worried about driving in the winter.

My mom is actually half the reason I am having a bad day. I was short on cash from my last pay check ( nothing to do with my boyfriend just me not paying attention) and my mom was going to send me money but then she found out my boyfriend is back and she said now she wont give me anything in fear I will give it to him ( for drugs I guess which is ridiculous) . She said if I choose to live with an addict then she wont help me, which I wasn't expecting from her. If I let my boyfriend do drugs in my apartment he probably wouldn't of disappeared for 2 weeks.

I just am sick of people attacking me for trying to help him. I may not understand what he is going through with his detox but I am sure its better to be going through it here where hes safe then out on the street freezing.

I am also tired of people telling me to kick him out and take care of himself. He can barely walk around let alone take care of himself right now. I know what its like to be kicked out and alone and its a terrible feeling , I can only imagine what it would be like for him.

I know I cant save him or fix him but I can be there for him while he gets better and I don't know why people are so against him being here ( aside from the point that he should of gone to a rehab center) and if its because people are afraid I will get hurt, I would be more hurt knowing I threw him out on the streets where no place to go.

I am not going to lie this has been hard for me, not because its something I don't want to deal with, its seeing someone I love so lost and so sick.

Thanks for asking about me, but I feel ok. I am not forgetting about myself, I haven't made my life all about him, hes doing what he needs to do to feel better (which is sleeping) and I am doing what I can to help him ( making sure he eats and being there when he wants to talk) and I am also doing stuff to make me happy and relaxed as well.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

and I am also doing stuff to make me happy and relaxed as well.
Excellent. Just don't hesitate to call 911 if he takes a bad turn. You are not a medical professional.
On a different note, you should check out Fluffy's thread on SR since you are a cat lover and sound like you could use a couple of smiles tonight
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-9-a-7.html
Old 12-20-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lily, I just looked at your first thread because I wanted to better understand your story. Please remember that this is the same man who beat you badly enough that the police were called. He is not stable and could become abusive again. None of us want you to get hurt.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

jjj~ I will never forget what happened that night and he doesn't either. I do believe that it was the alcohol, my boyfriend has relapsed on heroin 2 times and never got violent.

That is a big reason I didn't want him to take methadone in the first place I have read that it can make people have bad mood swings and become violent.

As of right now he can barely walk around let alone hurt me physically, I thank you for your concern but I do not think I am in danger.
And when he got moody about going out and using I realized if he started to get out of hand I would call the cops or maybe an ambulance. he doesn't need to be in a jail cell he needs to be in the hospital.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lily, maybe alcohol contributed to his violence as you say. Isn't he drinking now? For many people, violence is a deal breaker. I hope you will stay safe.

After I broke up with my AXBF, I did a lot of thinking about how to identify red flags so that I would not miss them next time I got involved with someone. One piece of advice I came across a lot was that when you compromise your values for someone, that is a red flag that the relationship is not healthy. You are compromising a lot for him. I noticed that in an earlier post you said that you do not feel comfortable having alcohol in your house. I think that's a very reasonable boundary and you might want to think about whether you're really willing to compromise on that.