Notices

Just started Suboxone...

Old 12-13-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just started Suboxone...

I took my first dose of 8mg Suboxone last Thursday aftyer being given an RX for 8mg twice a day by a doctor who is licensed to prescribe it. I was honest about my opiate use. Maxed out at 10-12 Norcos a day, always ran out and tapered down but I was getting scripts whenever I asked. This went on for about 2 years. The Dr i was seeing left the practice and here in South Florida they are deathly afraid of prescribing opiates so it was hard to get scripts and I really am just so tired of the pursuit.

My concern is that i jumped into this Suboxone without thinking, dreading the WD's and needing to be "normal" for a trip I was about to go on. They did no induction at the appointment, just handed me the RX and said wait until you are in moderate WD then take the first dose and come back in 30 days. they said it should be about 3 months for treatment.

After reading SO MUCH negative info posted all over the place I now wonder if I am doing the right thing. Would I be better off tapering from Norcos? I am so afraid of getting in yet another hole with the Suboxone. I am thinking of reducing my dose to 8mg once a day and telling the doc at my next appt taht I really am not comfortable with the dose. And of course in January my deductible comes back and my next fill is going to cost about $400. Eiother way I want to get clean and stay clean, I just fear the WD from Suboxone and the cost. I can fill my script for Norco for $10!
Old 12-13-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi xrayguy

I have no experience with subs myself.

If you have concerns I'd go back to your Dr pronto and voice those concerns

I tend to stay on the prescribed dose of a med until told otherwise as a general rule

D
Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely a question for your doctor, but realize if you just take sub without making any other changes in your life your chances are not great. My personal opinion is I would rather kick 12 norcos a day over 8mg of subs, but just personal opinion. In the end it doesn't matter much if you don't find a way to live clean and sober. Best of luck and keep posting.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi xrayguy! How are you? The doctors don't tell you much do they? Ugh! That happened to me. Went to a sub Doc, was prescribed a certain amount....very high amount....sent me on my merry way without an induction even though I paid the cost for an induction. Very confusing to say the least. I had so many questions and no one to answer them. It did help me to go to the suboxone website. They have a customer support line and a forum that I was able to connect with people who could answer my questions. If you have a doctor like mine, you might try that. If you don't already know this, there is a coupon you can print out to get up to $50 off your copayment or deductible each month on your RX. $400 is a lot!

I agree with Marcus. I'd rather kick 12 norcos per day than 8 mgs. Sub. But will you stay quit after that? If you aren't doing anything to work on your recovery. Like meetings, IOP, or private therapy than what's going to keep you from going back to the pills once off them or the sub? If nothing changes....nothing changes, right? So I guess the decision lies in how you want to work your recovery and can you get thru cold turkey and remain off until you've completed your program? Sub for me has been a God-send....but I needed that crutch as maintenance to complete a program. I already tried numerous times to cold turkey and remain off...but failed each time. Sub allowed me to do that. But to ONLY use sub with no recovery program would in my opinion be a failure. You need those valueable tools you get from a program. There are lots to choose from: smart recovery, rational recovery, NA/AA, celebrate recovery, any IOP (intensive outpatient program), impatient Rehab, individual therapy...etc. This site has lots of info and I think even a support line to help you decide. Even if you only used this forum as your recovery method, that's good too. There have been people who got clean only using SR. But, honestly, I needed something more...and I think the majority need something more too.

I hope this helps. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Question bro youre doing the right thing trust me!!!

ive been on H and hydro and pretty much n e opiat i get in front of me for the past 5 years but two days i decided to get on the subs "i feel brand new i may add". whats ****** up is that my doc said the same **** to me to take my first dose of 16mg only when in moderate to severe wd but i so freaking scared to feel n e wd so i took it 3 hours after iv'ing 6 mg hydro and i know it says that i will get sick but that wasent the case in 20 minutes i felt so normal i started laughing my ass alone in my room because i couldent belivee that it works that well specially after 400 500 dolars a day of drug use at some point i was ****** shocked ..

im on day two and feel so good its not normal everything feels lively again its amazing but my question here is that is it normal that it worked so well so fast and didint get me sick ??? my friends dont believe me but i swear to g**

n e respond would be great IM A NOOB TO THIS FORUM STUFF thanks guys!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aklucky13 View Post
ive been on H and hydro and pretty much n e opiat i get in front of me for the past 5 years but two days i decided to get on the subs "i feel brand new i may add". whats ****** up is that my doc said the same **** to me to take my first dose of 16mg only when in moderate to severe wd but i so freaking scared to feel n e wd so i took it 3 hours after iv'ing 6 mg hydro and i know it says that i will get sick but that wasent the case in 20 minutes i felt so normal i started laughing my ass alone in my room because i couldent belivee that it works that well specially after 400 500 dolars a day of drug use at some point i was ****** shocked ..

im on day two and feel so good its not normal everything feels lively again its amazing but my question here is that is it normal that it worked so well so fast and didint get me sick ??? my friends dont believe me but i swear to g**

n e respond would be great IM A NOOB TO THIS FORUM STUFF thanks guys!!!
Welcome aklucky! I know this is your first post so giving you the benefit of the doubt, but how can you honestly say Bro you're doing the right thing trust me!!! Is that due to your vast experience with Suboxone for coming up on 2 days where you laughed your ass off alone in a room 3 hours after banging out some hydro?

Do you have any idea what coming off a high dose of Suboxone feels like? It is a helpful maintenance medication, but if not used correctly can dig your whole even deeper. Yes the money saved is a good thing. I am not sure if your plan is to be drug free or just to stay on maintenance as long as possible.

So anyway don't want to come off as a jerk, but the post struck me as a bit odd. Seems like you might not know what you are getting yourself into, but then again if it gets you away from the needle and any other illegal activity going on procuring drugs / etc. it is definitely better than the alternative.

Just a reminder that Suboxone can and will get you high if you are taking more than needed and plenty of people abuse it and it is sold on the streets and not just for detoxing. Some people prefer it over full agonist opiates, but not sure why.

Take Care and Good Luck!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up i agree

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Welcome aklucky! I know this is your first post so giving you the benefit of the doubt, but how can you honestly say Bro you're doing the right thing trust me!!! Is that due to your vast experience with Suboxone for coming up on 2 days where you laughed your ass off alone in a room 3 hours after banging out some hydro?

Do you have any idea what coming off a high dose of Suboxone feels like? It is a helpful maintenance medication, but if not used correctly can dig your whole even deeper. Yes the money saved is a good thing. I am not sure if your plan is to be drug free or just to stay on maintenance as long as possible.

So anyway don't want to come off as a jerk, but the post struck me as a bit odd. Seems like you might not know what you are getting yourself into, but then again if it gets you away from the needle and any other illegal activity going on procuring drugs / etc. it is definitely better than the alternative.

Just a reminder that Suboxone can and will get you high if you are taking more than needed and plenty of people abuse it and it is sold on the streets and not just for detoxing. Some people prefer it over full agonist opiates, but not sure why.

Take Care and Good Luck!!!
n e thing is better then that needle marcus . thanks brother
Old 12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear that. I know it all too well. Shooting hydro is also a new one for me mainly because they haven't offered pure formulations in the US until very recently, but I know they do up in your neck of the woods. I hear people tell me they crushed up a norco (10/325 hydro) and snorted it. I think so you just snorted 325 mg's of APAP to get 10mg of hydro? Dam that sounds like a painful way to go.

Anyway glad you didn't take offense to my post. There are MANY people here who have been successful with sub when taken as directed with some sort of outside help along with a plan to come off it. It was helpful for me for a time, but I eventually messed it up because I had control over it. Methadone actually worked for me (I know one of the few as far as this board is concerned), but have over 2 1/2 years opiate FREE. My arms are still all scarred up but at least I am here to talk about it.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I hear that. I know it all too well. Shooting hydro is also a new one for me mainly because they haven't offered pure formulations in the US until very recently, but I know they do up in your neck of the woods. I hear people tell me they crushed up a norco (10/325 hydro) and snorted it. I think so you just snorted 325 mg's of APAP to get 10mg of hydro? Dam that sounds like a painful way to go.

Anyway glad you didn't take offense to my post. There are MANY people here who have been successful with sub when taken as directed with some sort of outside help along with a plan to come off it. It was helpful for me for a time, but I eventually messed it up because I had control over it. Methadone actually worked for me (I know one of the few as far as this board is concerned), but have over 2 1/2 years opiate FREE. My arms are still all scarred up but at least I am here to talk about it.
lol hahahha you made me laugh that is a painful way to get high on a hydro the things we have here are the bomb and thats the problem and ya i would never take offense i have a problem so why would i get offended if you speak the truth you seem to me to be a cool dude and im ******* so happy for you 2.5 years clean i only wish but keep it up !!!!!!!!! you def motivate me good look brother marcus
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lol hahahha you made me laugh that is a painful way to get high on a hydro the things we have here are the bomb and thats the problem and ya i would never take offense i have a problem so why would i get offended if you speak the truth you seem to me to be a cool dude and im ******* so happy for you 2.5 years clean i only wish but keep it up !!!!!!!!! you def motivate me good look brother marcus
Old 12-20-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

They offered me subs but I knew nothing would change if I didn't do something different. I'm 5 years off the needle now and life is indescribably amazing.

+1 for kicking at home or detox. Then get a plan and follow the plan.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Subs are ok easy to taper off in my opinion and if you an opiate addict now then 16mgs will hopefully just stop U feeling sick. I took 32 mgs the other day and still couldn't get out of bed, drained by the nasty.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i agree im on day 7 since my fist post and i feel alive again redmanc7 life is way better living sober then a subsistence abuser well wish you best ok luck and a merry christmas