Notices

Does suboxone cause a "high" feeling?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does suboxone cause a "high" feeling?

Hi-I am the spouse of a suboxone user. Can anyone tell me if suboxone causes a high? My husband has been using them for about a year and is doing well and I am very proud of where he is.

That being said we are having some relationship issues and the last few days have been rough. By that i mean arguments. I noticed on friday during one of our talks his pupils were pinpoint and I noticed and have asked him what is wrong he seems like hes in slow motion. I'm actually posting on another thread and thought I would come to this one to learn more about suboxone. On one of the post domain listed the side effects of overdose and pin point pupils and drowsiness were listed and it suddenly reminded me of his pupils the other day and his slow motion way these past couple days.

Hmmm, when I saw his pupils the other day i thought very odd but this slow motion thing has me worried now.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He could possibly be on too high of a dose. I would imagine this does not feel too good for him. You should ask him how he is feeling. Perhaps he himself has realized hea has been feeling sluggish and just has not talked to you about it. In my experience (I have been on this for 5 years) this feeling was always a que for me to lower my dose. Maybe he is not aware of this. Keep the conversation light and not accusatory. Sometimes things don't automatically dawn on us and then all of a sudden, we are "oh yeah, this must be it".
This could explain why your relationship has been hurting as of late too. He is just on too much med and does not have the energy to contend with things as usual.
This is just my guess.....of course he should speak with his Dr. about this if he thinks this might be it.
Trust me, too mcuch suboxone does not feel good. The drug is designed this way. You can not abuse it-it isn't pleasant.
I know this must be hard for you, I am sure you have a history of his "using" and all the ugliness of that life. Is good you are watching out for him.
I wish you well.....and him too.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is on 1.5mg he's been on it for a year and has tapered down.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally for me, I just started suboxone about a month ago and my pupils have been pinned from my first dose. I think everyone reacts differently. I do know that with too high of a dose, all I'll want to do is sleep. It's not a pleasant "high" if that's what you want to call it with suboxone.
I'm wondering if cravings have returned since he has tapered to such a low dose and he used? I'm not saying that's the only reason for his behavior or appearance but I have read that if the person is not 100% ready and sure to taper down, it's a recipe for disaster.
Was it his idea to taper down?
Could he be taking benzos while using suboxone? I know that's a dangerous combo but it seems to be quite common for us addicts to mix things...
I guess if I was you I would keep an eye on him closely.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I was going to say the same thing as ashamedof, my pupils have been pinpointed since I've been on it. When I was on too high a dose....I was sicker than a dog! Vomiting and lethargic. His does is very low though...so I doubt that could be the problem. He could be having PAWS or maybe he's on to low of a dose? Really, I'm pulling at straws here. I guess the best thing to do would be to ask him.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the information!! Appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It never did for me.. but I was on a pretty low dose.I was prescribed to take 16 mg a day.. Two of the films.. I never did that. I took one of the films and the anxiety it created in me wasn't worth it. Now, I just wish I can get off it even though I take so little. They say it isn't addicting, but it is. Maybe because I also suffer from major Depression and Anxiety and whenever I try to stop I fall into them even worse. My Dr.s stated to me that in his opinion Suboxone works better than anti-depressants. Which I have been on for 30 years and I have to agree he is right. Since being on a "crumb" of Suboxone I have never needed to take anything for my depression or anxiety.. I used to take everything under the sun for it.. including Seroquel for the depression.. Nothing ever worked. For some reason the suboxone, even though I only take a sliver of it... Helps better than anything ever has. God Bless.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sub does not make me high at all not should it. 1.5mg is pretty low.

One bold solution is to ask him to take his 1.5mg in front of you to ensure he has not relapsed on his DOC. If he has and takes the sub you will know due to horrible withdraws he will experience. Of course if he refuses then that is information that will be every bit as useful.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Buprenorphine has opioid agonist effects similar to the others. So pinned pupils are not atypical at all.
A good question is whether other psychoactive substances are also involved. An opioid intolerant person could easily catch a buzz from 1.5 mg doses but after treatment for a while it's not that usual.
Combined with benzos, however, it can definitely be euphoric.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is Adderall and suboxone normal or safe to take together
Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think Adderall is safe to take with anything. have you looked at the bottle? ingredients: amphetamine salts
Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's not mine. It's my husband his dr has had him on it a yr along with suboxone
Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

doctors don't always know whats best, obviously.